Oh dear! Has the NBF gone belly up again or is it just me?!

MauriceMynah

The root of the problem is unlikely to be the operating system of the webserver, or even the coldfusion language.

It's much more likely to be the difficulty of maintaining the standalone locally based hardware.

Almost all non-corporate websites are hosted commercially  by large hosting companies with banks of servers running in air conditioned buildings. They also have much faster, more direct connection to the spine of the Internet, enabling a much higher bandwidth for concurrent connections than a single digital telephone line.

I would disagree, it's been a very long time since W2K received any forms of updates and yet the internet has moved on so even the most basic attacks will be enough to take the server down. In addition W2K does not support any on the normal high availability techniques we would use to keep servers running. To use W2K on a public facing server now is madness and to be honest I'm actually impressed that it's up as much as it is!

And yes built a few data centres in my time and run a company the provides hosting amongst other things so I have a bit of an insight into the topic ;)

....And yes built a few data centres in my time and run a company the provides hosting amongst other things so I have a bit of an insight into the topic.....

As have many other people....

It's curious that there's a general imbalance to popular opinion on the NBF.

If the kind of hit and miss service that it offers was to be rolled out to other suppliers, there would be an outpouring of advise and comment  from people who know "better". But this rarely seems to get hurled at the forum itself which is flakey beyond belief.

As Strowager says, I'm surpised it's working as regularly as it is with the tech that it's running.

Jonzo - Nice to see hat attitudes here in the NBN are at last slowly changing for the better.  There was a time that if the dreaded letters - NBF - was even dared to be posted in here than a rebuke from the mods was swiftly forthcoming, I suffered from this on more than one occasion.

I like the current NBN site/attitude much better nowadays hence spend more time reading the current new content.  And while I'm on with that, the current user set up is very user friendly, well done to the admin (And the mods for being more grown up)

• Like 2

It is what it is really.. But let's not run down the NBF on here, folks.

Good post Jonzo,

"it is what it is", and has a very large membership that find it a great asset.

All of my posts on here have always been in response to comments about its hardware and software makeup, with certainly no slur intended on the owner or members.

Forums are similar to newspapers.  

Having several adds to the choice of material to read.

I like the current NBN site/attitude much better nowadays hence spend more time reading the current new content.  And while I'm on with that, the current user set up is very user friendly, well done to the admin (And the mods for being more grown up)

Well, many thanks for that from one of them! :clap  :clap  :clap

Personally I have no reason to object to the NBF. In fact I was (and probably still am) a member (under another name) before I came onto here. Live and let live.  :wave

Jonzo - Nice to see that attitudes here in the NBN are at last slowly changing for the better.  There was a time that if the dreaded letters - NBF - was even dared to be posted in here than a rebuke from the mods was swiftly forthcoming, 

Thank  goodness this site is a tad more adult now and that it can offer help in this way.  

There was a time when the BBC could not mention anything being on ITV etc and visa versa.   How times change.    We all know each other exists and at times we all need a bit of help.

Jonzo - Nice to see hat attitudes here in the NBN are at last slowly changing for the better.  There was a time that if the dreaded letters - NBF - was even dared to be posted in here than a rebuke from the mods was swiftly forthcoming, I suffered from this on more than one occasion.

We try to be helpful when we can.

Like John I am also a member on most of the Broads forums and look at them from time to time to get an insight on what is new and of interest to the Broads in general.

We are in the process of offering more information to both hirers and boat owners on the Broads, such as links to webcams, places of interest and activities, video links to Richardson's showing their excellent first timer video's, links to boat charter and boat hire (both day, motor and sailing). We also have sections for the boat owner for servicing, chandlery and boat inspection.

All the boating forums on the Broads offer a different choice for Broads users and without them all it would be less informed and sadder place.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

These forums are FREE and therefore if something goes

wrong with any of them we shouldn't moan too much!

Without them, it would leave a very large hole in my life

and very many others too.

I am grateful for all the friendships I have made through

this and the NBF and it makes my days out on the water

so much more enjoyable when people wave and shout

hello as you pass. 

When the NBF goes down, I do miss it but won't complain

as it's not me spending hours and money trying to fix it.

Richard will do what is necessary to keep it running and

each time this happens, I feel for him.

• Like 1

I wasn't commenting on other people, just trying to put my comment into perspective.

As was I.....   :)    (putting my comments into perspective).

Having also been professionally involved in running Windows and Linux webservers, and experiencing the relative vulnerabilities of different versions of Windows and IIS.

Yes, no argument, 2k is more out on a limb now, but the focal point of this thread was speculation on the potential causes of the NBF outages.

My post was in reply to someone fearing that forums were coming under "Cyber Attack" , which I think is far less likely than a transient hardware problem.

The ongoing reliability of the standalone hardware for the self hosted solution has previously been found to be the root cause of almost all the previous outages.

It must be very frustrating for Richard and Gary whenever a piece of kit lets them down, particularly if it's sporadic.

• 1 month later...

I had a message this afternoon to say that the server was down and that there was a 'corrupt file'.  (which means nothing to me) There is also a post on the NBF facebook page.  

Apparently Richard is not able to sort it at the mo but he/Gary will be on it as soon as poss.  

Charlie 

• Like 1