chris crowther

loribear

smilie_girl_016.gif hi all i'm in the process of reading my 3rd chris crowther book, water under the bridge , but finding it abit slow going, my favourite so far is the water frolick, ive heard that he wrote some other books that were'nt on the broads, & was just wondering if anyone had read any of them & if they were any good. post-296-0-46255500-1389793710_thumb.jpg

These are the ones ive got so far. Lori ;-)

• Like 1

Hi,Lori,Bladestrike, was not on the Broads and I did not get into it as much as the others.We all have our ideas as to where the plots are based and I feel that is part of the interest ,maybe one day in the future Chris may tell us ?????? Roy

I also am looking forwards to another of his books, each one seems just that little bit better than the last.  I'm going to have to check up on something though, Loribear, are you reading them in the right order?

I seem to remember it as Waterproof, Still Waters, Water Frolic then Water under the bridge!

Mind you, I might be wrong,!

Hi jtf, i'm not sure which order they go in, i just picked the first two up in a book shop in norfolk as they looked a good read , then i ordered the other two as i got hooked lol, lori, ps just call me lori , just don't call me late for dinner smilie_girl_146.gif lol

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Karen and i bought four of them in one go from WRC last month. I`ve started reading one, and Karen another. I did`nt know they were in order, but i`l still enjoy the read.

A slight deviation from Chris Crowther, but still on books, Last year, i borrowed a book on Dorset airfields of the second world war, and was very impressed, so i bought my own. I wondered if the author had done a series on ALL second world war airfields around the country, and yes, he has. As a result, Karen bought me a copy of Norfolk airfields from the post office stores at Reedham.  I know it`s not Chris Crowther, but still to do with Norfolk history.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Clive,

it`s surprising how many are actually on the Broads. Probably the best known would be Coltishall, then there`s Ludham, Beccles, also known as Ellough, Flixton, which was on the banks of the upper Waveney navigation, though Beccles and Flixton are technically Suffolk, and are in the Suffolk edition. There`s also a few very close to the Broads, with Seething about 3 miles west of Loddon / Chedgrave, Rackheath which is south east of WroxhamHethel which is south-south west of Norwich, Horsham St Faith, now Norwich airport, Oulton, which surprisingly is nowhere near Oulton Broad, but a mile or so from the former head of navigation on the Bure at Ailsham.

Several of these old airfields still exist, though not in the way they were in the war years, and still have some of the old buildings around. Some of them still have flying activities, but light aircraft only.

I`m hoping to talk Karen into doing an out of season week on Lightning sometime so i can tour round some of these old airfields, as having worked on some, if you can find some secluded deserted hangers, or perimiter track, they can be very emotive places to be, with a definite presence, which i find very thought provoking.

Anyway, getting back to Chris Crowther, the one i`ve started is "Murkey Waters" , which seems a bit slow with a fair amount of "incidental chat", but having said that, i can`t put it down.

I think Karen is reading "Water Under The Bridge", and she`s really enjoying that one too.

A great selection of books, and one i`m really glad we bought.

Incidentally, up untill i started reading "Murkey Waters",  I`ve only ever read 3 books in my life, two of which were on "Nigel Mansell", and the other being "Swallows and Amazons Forever", which is actually the combination of "Coot Club" and "The Big Six", so i guess you could say that`s four books rather than three?.

I have just read Murky Waters and IMHO it is Mr Crowther's best yet. In his previous books, the locations have always been rather vague, presumably to protect the innocent, but in this one, he names names and is pretty geographically accurate. For me, this enhances the reading experience, as I know the areas covered by the book very well and can close my eyes and visualise exactly what he is describing.  Once you get past the initial scene setting at the beginning of the book, the plot moves along nicely and there are twists and turns, that I won't give away, which make the book difficult to put down.

I hope he keeps them coming!

cheersbar

Steve

• Like 2