CHRISTMAS AFLOAT?.

SPEEDTRIPLE

Hi all,

is anybody intending to be afloat over Christmas, or has anybody had Christmas afloat before?. This year, we had Lightning allocated to us for the week before Christmas, but could`nt use it due to all our holiday being used up, and the Christmas week is allocated to someone else. So it got me thinking about maybe having Christmas afloat sometime, has anybody done this, and if so, how long would it take to cook a turkey in a boats oven?. Seriously though, does Broadland shut down over the Christmas week, or is it buisness as usual?.

A whole turkey might take until New Year ;) maybe a turkey crown would get done by Christmas !

I think Mirage, Simon and Sonia have done Christmas afloat. Brilliant is ashore so no go there, I have toyed with the notion of hiring, but family come first and they do come. :) So we will be staying ashore.

Village pubs will be open. Water will be limited and I doubt that any major boatyard will be running. Live-on-site owner/operators might be available for assistance, I guess.

There's live music at Surlingham on the afternoon of the 27th December (possibly we me guesting). We have winterised all the fleet, so we will be travelling by car.

There's music too at Upton on the 21st (i think) and The Lion at Thurne on Christmas Eve. The Broadshaven has karaoke on a Friday. Not sure of other events.

• Like 1

Hi we will be afloat Christmas maybe new year to have done it the last three years its fantastic , as far as turkey go's I think a crown is probably the way to go , You could always cook your turkey carve it make your gravy put your turkey in the gravy and just re heat it very gently all you then need to do is you trimmings it works well , its really nice being on the river quiet no problems with moorings we love it ...

• Like 5

We did every Christmas afloat from 1999 to 2007.  We've had some magical times on quiet rivers.  It was always the time to winterise the boat at the end of the Christmas outing.

Now we have a land base in Broadland we still try to get out if we can.  Having said that, Grebe has not been out since May.  We will have to see a forecast before contemplating taking the covers off and coming out for a short trip.

Mal

Christmas afloat is on our to do list, the latest we have cruised is October which was magical to say the least.

I have this romantic vision of being moored up (wild) battening down the hatches, boat heating on, a little Christmas tree and a bottle of something nice, I would imagine in reality it's bloody freezing Lol.

What an excellent idea of CheshireCat regarding the turkey, you could also cook beef and gammon etc at home, slice it up and ho ho ho it's sorted  lol:

Grace

Have to say that, from all my experiences of local bands on the Broads, Lee Vasey is the best by some distance. Both in his solo capacity or with his band and guest singers. I'm afraid that the bands that are much hyped in another place just don't do t for me, some merely variations of one band, especially when they "pinch" another established bands name!

I'd be confident that a combination of Lee Vasey and Surlingham Ferry would prove to be a cracking event for Christmas!

• Like 2

We are afloat over Christmas .... and have done so before....plenty of village pubs are open for food and drink.

As for Christmas dinner we have turkey crown and a lump of beef with all the trimmings and snack out on whatever is left over..... plus you can always zap things in the microwave if need be.

Will be on the boat this weekend putting the decorations up..... also topping up with fuel and water.

The first Christmas.with my own boat,?? Of course the 'Swan' and myself will certainly be around somewhere on the Northern side, accompanied at times by various family members if they can find me :)

Paul

Will keep a look out for you Paul.... we will be on the same side from Christmas eve until 29th.... 

Steve, I hope you have told Father Christmas where you will be, he might not be able to find you. :wave

Its ok Martin....im going to let Tracy stay outside with a mince pie for santa and a sack of carrots for rudolf and co .... she dont know it yet ......

Its ok Martin....im going to let Tracy stay outside with a mince pie for santa and a sack of carrots for rudolf and co .... she dont know it yet ......

Also Billy told santa where we would be when he saw him in Lathams last weekend......he told him he didnt want any presents from there .....clever boy is Billy....he has seen all the tat his mum keeps buying from there lol.

Paul I'm at Horning.... at the old Le Boat yard (Richardson's) its down the same lane for Boulters.

We are in the marina on the left and I will be there from early tomorrow morning until Sunday evening.

By all means pop in for a coffee and chin wag.

Paul I'm at Horning.... at the old Le Boat yard (Richardson's) its down the same lane for Boulters.

We are in the marina on the left and I will be there from early tomorrow morning until Sunday evening.

By all means pop in for a coffee and chin wag.

Forgot to add Paul will be there around 10am onwards.

We are afloat from the 20th onwards on Moonlight Shadow. I think we will be staying down South but no firm plans as yet. Christmas dinner will be gammon , roasties and various veggies followed by a large chocolate pudding with custard. I think the home made sloe gin may also make an appearance!

Hoping for cold, crisp weather with no wind or mud for the dogs to roll around in.

Does anyone know where we will be able to fill up with water down south as I suspect many places will be closed up for the winter?

Hi Mandy,

You should be able to get water at the following places:-

Loddon Staithe

Beccles Yacht Station

Oulton Broad Yacht Station

Norwich Yacht Station

Reedham Staithe

Wavenley River Centre

Andy at Freedom might let you fill up, likewise Maffett's.

On the Southern Broads I do not think many of the hose pipes are removed as they are on the Northern Broads, but I do suggest that you take a hose pipe with you and a hose pipe fitting to fit the stand pipes incase.

I would check with Broom's to check with the person that has drawn the short straw to be on the fuel station just after Christmas, they will be already working shorter hours for their winter service.

When you arrive on the boat check the conditions of the gas bottles, you do not want to be in a position where you have a half cooked dinner.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

We had water at Faircraft Loynes yesterday. The water is normally on at Ranworth.

Ludham Bridge is off. Think water was on at Phoenix fleet at Potter.

As Alan says Reedham is definitely on but we have our own hose. Goodchilds might be on. Horning Marina services are often a good bet too.

The new guy at Great Yarmouth (opp YS) does pump outs so may do water. Mooring could be tricky there though.