CHRISTMAS AFLOAT?.

SPEEDTRIPLE

Ranworth Staithe public toilets are usually closed, not so sure about the ones at Womak Staithe, the ones at Loddon were still open last week.

The toilets & showers at the Beccles Yacht Station (get your shower tokens before they close, also remember to get your mooring card stamped, new showers planned for 2015) may be closed earlier than normal due to shorter working hours.

Oulton Broad Yacht Station give you a code to get access to the toilets & showers after hours (again get your mooring card stamped)

Regards

Alan

I've yet to do a Christmas afloat onboard 'B.A' and desperatly want to do so.

I have done a New Years Eve trip before now, we saw the New Year in at The Bridge Inn and very good it was too. 8 x of us afloat plus Macie dog for about 5 days or so

What was magical for me was doing night navs (Well by that I mean after sunset) and seeing the riveside properties and boats dressed with Christmas lights.

Getting back to the Wet Shed on Jan 3rd-ish was a proper nightmare as we came to a dead stop with the river frozen,   It was ok-ish to about 100 yds before Broads Edge, from there to the Wet-shed must have taken us 3 x hrs using the stern-to ice breaking method - extremely hard work for the deck crew and 'B.A's propulsion system.

Jan 02nd - Malthouse Broad in the morning was proper forzen over too - we couldn't get out onto the main river, fortunatley a tupperware hire craft left and broke the ice so we followed their route out to safe unfrozen water on the Bure

Photo's - Malthouse Broad / River Ant approaching Brods Edge / Outside wet-shed after we eventually made it inside

Griff

post-65-0-56621300-1418858703_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-43228300-1418858718_thumb.jpg

post-65-0-21440100-1418858735_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I have a cine taken in about 1965 when we did a Christmas cruise from Oulton Broad to Oulton Broad via Gt Yarmouth, lots of it in a snowstorm. Would love to get it transferred to DVD, any tips? Back then it was common to see a Christmas tree at the masthead.

Hi have you tryed snappy snaps http://www.snappysnaps.co.uk/services/archiving/convert-to-dvd.php  they can convert super 8mm and 8 mm cine film to dvd also old vhs etc to dvd used them a few years ago for a film that my grandparents had on cine film, sorry can not rember the cost  but i know was not stupid price, plus there one in norwich.

For just over £50.00 you can get a Cine Film converter – well it is actually a ‘Transfer Screen’.

Link to buy here.

Basically – and it only works if you:

• Have a projector for the cine film
  • Have a digital video camera

You place the screen in front of the projector and it mirrors the image and puts it the right way around – in front of this you have your camera filming the resultant image that is shown. 

It should be very bright and well focused because it is effectively looking at the projected image from the projector head on.

Otherwise the idea of handing your cine film into Snappy Snaps is good idea but thought would give this option too.

PS for just over  £1,200 you can get a sort of USB projector that scans and converts the cine film as it plays.

For just over £50.00 you can get a Cine Film converter – well it is actually a ‘Transfer Screen’.

Link to buy here.

Basically – and it only works if you:

• Have a projector for the cine film
  • Have a digital video camera

You place the screen in front of the projector and it mirrors the image and puts it the right way around – in front of this you have your camera filming the resultant image that is shown. 

It should be very bright and well focused because it is effectively looking at the projected image from the projector head on.

Otherwise the idea of handing your cine film into Snappy Snaps is good idea but thought would give this option too.

PS for just over  £1,200 you can get a sort of USB projector that scans and converts the cine film as it plays.

lol well i know it did not cost £1200

Hi Matt,

You are a younger fellow so you may not remember that we always used to have snow that deep or deeper each year in the 50's & 60's it used to be that we would take our wooden sledges out of the sheds or outhouses so we could polish up the metal runners ready for the forth coming snow.

In the 70's when I was a service engineer and operated in and around the Derbyshire  boarders I had to carry chains or grips every winter so I knew I could get home, no fun on the A6 with a foot of snow.

I had already put my winter tires on the car when we came down to the boat a couple of weeks ago, just in case.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

xmas2 xmas2 xmas2Good Morning you lucky people afloat its a bright sunny morning here in Sheffield :shocked grrr wheres the snow , lunch is on and sorted might have to make some puddings as the yorkies i bought have gone missing lol but at least they will be seasoned ones   ie finely chopped onions and sage added to the batter and loads of pepper  as im posting i looked at the meat and its almost ready  chance for it to cool while the roasters and parsnips cook  heres hoping you have a good time while the weather is so good   cheers cheers cheers

We were afloat christmas 2011, had lunch at the bottom of Dads garden with him Brother Paul and his girlfriend aboard as well as our 2 dogs and kids!

we mud weighted on South walsham, moored on the island at Salhouse and some other spots but just about had the rivers to ourselves! 

post-144-0-50210200-1419503707_thumb.jpg