Caught in stormy weather

Mandybstorm

Hi folks, we are currently moored up at waveney and going nowhere by the looks of it out there!

Came in yesterday and moored up stern on in the basin. All was fine until just after darkness when we heard and felt a couple of big shudders and realised we had been jolted sideways by the wind and water flow. The chap in the dutch barge came out and helped us to move side on. We were bobbing about all night with the wind howling round the boat. I ventured out a few times to check the ropes as the rise and fall was massive last night. still blowing a gale out there. I will definitely have sea legs when i get off!

The noise and the buffeting of the boat is incredible if a little scary to!

Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit calmer.

• Like 6

Hi Mandy

Does sound hairy.  John has a good scheme, Beccles is a nice spot.  Fairly quiet.  They should be able to find you a sheltered mooring and give you a festive welcome.

They are probably only open in the morning like Oulton Broad is at this time of year.

Our favourite places to lurk when it is stormy are Loddon Staithe, closely followed by Rockland.  Although the power in these two places is via the £1 cards.  Beccles has power on-site.

Sue and Martin

• Like 1

Have to agree with Andy - it was blowy in Brundall on Saturday and it's a lot gustier today.

If you are thinking of going to Lodden be careful just as you go past the boat yards - the wind can gust quite a bit across the fields there before you reach sanctuary.

IMHO, Mr Nog knows best (sorry Howard, I just love the thought that is your real name).

Have to agree with Andy - it was blowy in Brundall on Saturday and it's a lot gustier today.

If you are thinking of going to Lodden be careful just as you go past the boat yards - the wind can gust quite a bit across the fields there before you reach sanctuary.

IMHO, Mr Nog knows best (sorry Howard, I just love the thought that is your real name).

Actually it's not the first time by any means that I've been referred to as Mr Nog Mark and I must say I quite like it. Sums me up very well :-)

Hi all,

When Karen and i were on Lightning in October, we had EXACTLY the same scenario as Mandy, though it did`nt get windy through the night, but in the following morning. By the time we got going, it was gusting well, so much so that at one point, going 5mph, the gust was so strong it brought us to a virtual standstill.We were pushing the tide as well, so it was quite a long and arduous journey, but when we reached Beccles, we found shelter. The next morning was fun though, especially as the quay heading was under 2 feet of water, of which i had to wade into to diconnect the shore power :shocked :shocked .

It`s surprising how open the Waveney is along that stretch, and the gusts can catch you out very easily. Did you get there safely Mandy?.

We made it to beccles. The tide was very high last night and was forecast to come over the quay at 3 oclock last night. I got out to see what was going on and it was a couple of inches from the top. I fiddled with the fenders and went back to bed so not sure what happened after that.

Merry Christmas everyone! Just about to open the pressies that came aboard with us.

• Like 5

I assume you are still on board - if so - Happy Boxing Day.

Looking at the cameras this afternoon you are not alone.

Above Wroxham Bridge there are several boats moored.

One lone sole at the YS Oulton Broad.

Very cold last night but dont think it should be quite as 'taters' tonight.

post-479-0-37832500-1419609081_thumb.jpg

post-479-0-96265800-1419609102_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Quite a reasonable day yesterday (Christmas day), but cold and frosty when Karens mum and dad left about 8.00pm. Thick white frost this morning, with white skies, i thought we were in for snow this morning?. Did our customary driver to Bournemouth, with lunch on the pier. A nice bowl of home made mushroom soup with crusty bread.  We normally start with a walk along the promenade, followed by lunch, then another walk, usually into the shops, but just as we got to Bournemouth and got out of the car, it started to rain (12 noon), and it has`nt stopped yet (5.00pm), so all we did was walk down the pier and had lunch, then back home.  The weather has really put a dampener on things this year as last year, it was so warm and sunny, there were thousands of people down there, but this year, it was empty. Still, at least we did`nt have any problems getting a table.

Karen and i hope everybody has had a good Christmas, and are looking forward to a happy new year.

• Like 1

Am glad that some folk found acceptable weather, I didn't. Wind was either nonexistent or excessive, I suppose the same can be said of the clouds too. Had looked forward to a Christmas sail, didn't happen this year although we did have several pootles around the manor on a day-boat, Weather bound when it came to long walks across the marshes too. Still, darn good Christmas, even if it didn't all quite go to plan!