So, can you help, What is it?

MBA Marine

It's not just a steering wheel for a work boat is it (actually it could be a steering wheel for the old 3 wheel market carts) .. or I'm thinking a valve for something or other.. Is it hydraulic or chain/cable? 

I would have to look at it in more detail, my first thoughts were hydraulic yet it has no filler on the unit, if I get chance I may open it up and have a look.

• Like 1

The screws will need a WD40 bath and care to undo they feel like they break rather than let go and I dont want to break, it feels like a pumping unit, 3/8 spigot either side.

markings on it are:

A 00 M (the 00 is inside a 'cupcake' shaped surround)

REFNo 10J/10595

Has a grease nipple that remains stationary in the center of the wheel and another below the wheel.

post-388-0-56709500-1421493396_thumb.jpg

post-388-0-29267800-1421493436_thumb.jpg

post-388-0-20320900-1421493473_thumb.jpg

This control, what ever it was made for required many turns of the wheel and the reason for the handle was to make it easier to turn from lock to lock.

Ok it is a control for an aerial for a Halifax AM Crown manufactured before 1944 it was located in the wireless position of the aircraft. It a wheel for a remote D.F. loop drive (aerial).

http://spitfirespares.co.uk/radio.html

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

This control, what ever it was made for required many turns of the wheel and the reason for the handle was to make it easier to turn from lock to lock.

Ok it is a control for an aerial for a Halifax AM Crown manufactured before 1944 it was located in the wireless position of the aircraft. It a wheel for a remote D.F. loop drive (aerial).

http://spitfirespares.co.uk/radio.html

Regards

Alan

Good skills Alan, nice find, and bloody hell they £299 for theirs!!!

• Like 1

No it just sat on a bit of card on the floor where it has sat since retrieving from the shed earlier. I shall not get my hopes up too much as its only valuable if you can find someone to buy it, Alan found that one at a high price but how long have they had it and how long are they happy to keep it for? who knows but I can start high and the price can always drop.