The Broads National Park? Time to decide!

kfurbank

Apprehension or what? Today is decision time. I just hope that the Authority members are wise enough to see that they are being manouvered. Whatever, this won't be the end of it, either way, I'm quite sure of that. I do know that 'the little people' are ready to pounce, and with good reason. Good, convincing response by the NSBA on local radio this morning, just hope that at least one Authority member was listening.

• Like 2

I suppose that it's hardly surprising that an article in the EDP should pose more questions than it answers! One that occurs to me is, given the statistics "But it was agreed by 11 out of 16 members of the Authority that there was no future ambition to become a national park in law" just what do the "5" think? and what level of influence do they have? and most importantly... Was Dr Packman one of them? :)

Come on fellas, keep the pot stirred.

whether you agree with the branding or not and aside from the other concern people may have, it must be good for tourism as we are now in a internationally recognised  National park, whereas before we were not. I very much doubt anyone would specifically stay away from the area because of the NP status..

• Like 2

we are now in a internationally recognised  National park, whereas before we were not. I very much doubt anyone would specifically stay away from the area because of the NP status..

Without sounding like a stuck record, We're not in a National Park Clive, we're just calling it one.

Thinking of renaming my shop Harrods. Will bring more visitors. It isn't Harrods, but who cares? I'm rebranding.

For those interested, Packman is currently being interviewed on Radio Norfolk. The recorded interview is on Radio Norfolk at 5.05pm, with comments to follow. I'll be commenting around 5.15 In my guise as local RBOA rep, Liveaboard and interested party.

• Like 3

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/norfolk_and_suffolk_broads_rebranded_to_broads_national_park_1_3928251

(can someone explain to me being slow.. is this good or bad?) cheers

It all depends on how cynical you are, the genie is now out of the bottle only time will tell and it is totally dependant on how thin that leading edge is on the wedge.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

So let me get this right.... I am shopping at Harrods National Park and cruising on the Norfolk Broads National Park in name only? 

All very confuzzling indeed. Hmmm I think I will just drive to the Norfolk Broads have my holiday and leave the Polotics of it all to those that know, or do they?

cheers Iain.

• Like 3

whether you agree with the branding or not and aside from the other concern people may have, it must be good for tourism as we are now in a internationally recognised  National park, whereas before we were not. I very much doubt anyone would specifically stay away from the area because of the NP status..

Good to see someone extolling the virtues of being marketed simply as a "National Park", a genuine result of today's much attacked decision.

So what difference will today's decision make ?

An end (hopefully :) ) to all of the pedantic nit-picking whenever a business or guidebook commits the heinous crime of not uttering the full mouth full, "A member of the National Park Family"

The application of Sandford and the naively believed immediate total loss of Broads navigation is just as far away as it ever was.

No law has been changed, nor could be without a  parliamentary bill and successful vote, so the fact that the BA can now call itself a National Park has not brought that even one inch closer. To suggest that familiarity of the phrase is likely to make it happen is rubbish. Heresay can confuse issues, but it cannot overturn UK statute.

The real root of this current furore is the fact that the JP opposition party will see this as a defeat, in that he has now "got his own way".

Without sounding like a stuck record, We're not in a National Park Clive, we're just calling it one.........

Precisely Manko, as you quite rightly say, "we're just calling it one".  :)

Packman has distanced himself further - how?? Has he moved?

PW  - for what its worth it has made absolutely no difference to me , nor many many other Broads users at this moment in time and he is no nearer or further away!! ( Unless he has gone away for the weekend!! )

Packman has distanced himself further - how?? Has he moved?

PW  - for what its worth it has made absolutely no difference to me , nor many many other Broads users at this moment in time and he is no nearer or further away!! ( Unless he has gone away for the weekend!! )

Sorry, MM, no comment. As you know forums are watched.

Dr Packman has probably, and regretfully, distanced himself still further from the general Broads community.......

Now there's a thought.......

We can only wonder what the "general broads community" really think about the National Park feud.

No one can honestly say what the majority opinion is, and even all the active respondents on all the forums is a tiny sample of the 10,000 private toll payers, and God knows how many hirers and holidaymakers.

...and in case it crops up again, the frequently cited "word on the Rhond" is a very vague percentage of opinion.....

Oh gosh - is " someome" or perhaps GCHQ monitoring this thread? How shall i sleep knowing this and that a  conspiracy is about to be revealed?

For goodness sake lets all be a bit less melodramatic over not a lot!!! As far as i can see nothing much has changed, if anything.

• Like 1

Hi Marshman,

Well, if "nothings changed" why on Earth did they feel the need to change the name?. It was a complete and utter pointless waste of time and money (and just exactly which budget did that money come from, any ideas you would like to admit to, navigation budget by any chance?) unless there are plans in the near future to make the Broads a full National park of course?.

Let`s see what happens within 5 years, you never know, we might all have to convert our boats to electric power and paint them brown to resemble varnished timber?.

Sorry folks, i`m NOT convinced that this is anywhere near the end of things, more than likely the beginning of the end. Only time will tell, and when it does, i can`t wait to hear what all the pro NP brigade will shout when the S..t hits the fan if all your expensive internal combustion engines are outlawed.

And if you want an example of how a national park can have a devastating effect on boating, just look at what happened on Lake Windemere when they brought in draconian measures and a 6mph speed limit.

• Like 3