The lie that is the Broads National Park is to continue:

Some excellent points raised here, especially concerning Hickling, lifted off the BA's blog, but nevertheless the BNP lie continues.   Authority's strategic priorities set for next year

At last Friday’s meeting the Broads Authority adopted five strategic priorities for the coming year.

1.    Broads Plan Review

It is time to update the Management Plan for the Broads and our target is to consult on a 1st Draft by the end of February 2016

2.    Broads Landscape Partnership

We are preparing an application to the Heritage Lottery Fund for support for a range of projects.  1st Application has to be in by 1st June 2015.

3.    Hickling Broad Restoration Project

Our aim is to develop a long-term approach to the restoration of Hickling Broad, building on the scientific evidence from the Broads Lake Review which will be published in the near future. Our aim is to have an agreed vision for the lake by September 2015.

4.    Promoting the Broads

The Sustainable Tourism Plan for the Broads will be revised and the Broads National Park branding implemented.

5.    Stakeholder Action Plan

Last year’s surveys of boat owners, boatyards, visitors and residents identified a number of issues which we want to pursue through dialogue with key stakeholders.

Many of these actions will go over more than one year and in addition we will be carrying out all our normal work including restoring and managing areas of fen, removing 50,000m3 of sediment from the navigation area, encouraging and informing our visitors on what is on offer, processing planning applications and continuing with our innovative partnership work on managing the catchment.

I suppose it is a bit like Roys of Wroxham, although my shopping experiences have never been affected by the  inaccuracy I guess there may be a mis informed visitor who could take exception and leave a little disgruntled. 

• Like 1

Pete - so just who really cares about the bit in bold? Most don't even know what you are on about and more don't care and even more cannot see why this point continues to be raised by those opposed when as far as I can see at this moment in time, nothing has actually changed!!

What is more important is that the BA continue to do their appointed job tolerably well and more or less within their budget constraints.

Peter, If the BA didn't use the lie, then the telling of that lie would have been a complete waste of money. That waste would have been the subject of another albeit slightly different complaint.

The "record" as captmat calls it needs to be carefully watched, and played but it really only needs reporting when there's something to report. Your choice of thread title rather suggests you already knew that.

Don't give up, but to keep optimum impact and support perhaps only give us the highlights and when there's something new to tell.

Clive, The geography of the area has long been inaccurately described, most people knowing of the area as either The Broads, or The Norfolk Broads, when to give it the full title it is The Norfolk AND Suffolk Broads. However perhaps a more accurate analogy would be this. Would it be misleading, or even legal, to advertise and hire the lodges at Wayford Bridge, Moonfleet, Hippersons or Whispering Reeds as Platinum fleet hire boats? I have no doubt they are very comfortable, they float on water, have all the facilities of boats, make for a good holiday break, but importantly are not boats and should never be represented or branded as such, despite having much in common with the average boat.

Although I still don't get this  I am raising an eyebrow each time I see this "national park" wording.. it was all over the correspondence for my tolls and I noticed it every page of the broadcaster!! (even though I wasn't looking). It seems to me that the BA's core communication is "Make sure you get the word's 'National Park' in!".. Personally I think this "national park" lark a waste of energy, as I tourist I visit the broads because it's the broads and not because it's similar to other national parks. I won't go to "other" national parks because the broads is the broads and is unique and is nothing like the "other" national parks so it's irrelevant to me. I am worried what the future holds for the broads, if the BA are pressing this so much, so from me Peter and others, please keep these threads coming hopefully the BA will see that people are aware that "somethings" not quite right here. 

• Like 7

Jaws, You make a good point. The Broads is unique, there is a danger of The BA blending it in with the other National Parks and actually diluting it's appeal by not promoting the ways in which it is different or better than the other National Parks. Not everyone wants to visit a National Park.

• Like 6

I briefly looked through the online edition of The Broadcaster and was rather taken by the amount of times 'The Broads National Park' is splashed over a page either in text or using the new logo that incorporates the wording.

Now this is of Wikipedia and sums up things perfectly:

"A national park is a park in use for conservation purposes. Often it is a reserve of natural, semi-natural, or developed land that a sovereign state declares or owns. Although individual nations designate their own national parks differently, there is a common idea: the conservation of wild nature for posterity and as a symbol of national pride"

Where my big issue is quite simple.  You can ask someone who has no idea about what the Norfolk Broads are or where in the country they are located and they may very well not seem that overly enamoured  - but if you mention 'National Park' things change.  Now, while they may have no idea what exactly a National Park is  (as far as legally what such entails) they would know it has to be something special, they may have heard about such places before here in the UK or in other countries. Indeed if you asked many a person from different counties they will 'get it' from the Teide National Park in Tenerife to Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming to mention but two.  Very important places that need a great deal of care and rules to keep as they are for generations to come.

The simple fact is that a National Park is special - and while the Broads is a very special place, and granted while the Broads Authority does along with other 'stake holders' have a lot of power and responsibility in the area and ensure a bunch of rules and bylaws are in place it is none the less not the same as a proper National Park.

People who holidayed in 2014 and return this summer may be forgiven a massive change took place and the area qualified for special status and became a fully fledged National Park - not that the area just has a new brand.  This is not just a brand, this is implying something more has happened/changed that the Broads has somehow become more important nationally and that conservation and nature now are at the heart of all that goes on within the 'park'.  Nothing has changed other than the area is now branded to be something it simply is not, thats not right - period.

• Like 5

And the very same can be said of your entirely predictable responses!

Well they would be wouldn't they Peter , they're only triggered by your entirely predictable regular "BA" threads...... :roll:

Just as my entirely predictable BA threads are triggered by the BA themselves. If the BA didn't provide the ammunition then I would  have nothing to criticise, arghhhhhhh, therefore it's all the fault of the BA!!

Well you certainly get your money's worth out of them Peter.

You often "re-trigger" your entirely predictable threads, even when there's nothing new to comment on, just to keep the pot boiling.

Maurice has already put it rather well, earlier in this thread with his:

.......The "record" as captmat calls it needs to be carefully watched, and played but it really only needs reporting when there's something to report. Your choice of thread title rather suggests you already knew that.

Don't give up, but to keep optimum impact and support perhaps only give us the highlights and when there's something new to tell.

As he said, you'd get better support..........

What I find rather disappointing is that no-one has chosen to discuss any of the other points raised in the Broads Blog. OK, so JennyMorgan highlighted the Broads National Park lie, but he also made particular mention of the Hickling Broad Restoration Project.

Did anyone take the opportunity to follow this up? After all, the broad has just experienced yet another fish kill - or didn't anyone here notice it?

No, much more fun to give JennyMorgan another kicking. Perhaps those engaged in that sport might get more support if it wasn't such a regular and predictable event!

• Like 1

Notice it? Oh yes I noticed it!  The dead fish were evident in the dyke where Nyx is moored, but the subject has been covered on another thread and I had nothing constructive I could add.

Nor can I reasonably comment on the BA's plans until I have some idea as to what they are. Just what will they be restoring to what?