The lie that is the Broads National Park is to continue:

Perhaps those engaged in that sport might get more support if it wasn't such a regular and predictable event!

With sadly predictable comments too.

Although I have no way of proving it I do know that there are folk within who are genuinely distressed by the executive's continued  obsession to be a National Park so I know that I am not alone. Similarly there are folk within who are equally distressed by the destruction of the two way trust that has long been enjoyed by both toll payer and the Authority.  Sadly I have heard suggestions that fraternisation with the Little People is being actively discouraged which, when considered with the recent revelation of gagging orders, is an appalling indictment.  Thankfully the respect for the frontliners is still undiminished, long may that continue.

Regarding Hickling, there is only one way forward, and that requires teamwork rather than 'authority'.  Does seem that we are now heading that way. 

• Like 1

What a shame that the thread wasn't called "gosh, hooray the BA have plans for lots of things apart from rebranding"

Then perhaps it might have focussed on those other issues. Not the LIE of calling the broads a National Park.

Note, the word LIE should always be capitalised.

I have read and listened to all the comments with regard to gagging and so on, and find the whole thing very strange.

I have been an employee for many years of the BA, many of you will have met me in the past, those that have will know I have always said what I believe to be correct whether this is for or against the BA.. Those that employ me have never suggested I stop replying to PM's or indeed make comments on any of the forums, in reality, I have been encouraged to do so on many occasions. 

As Rangers it has been suggested that if we are attending an incident and the media are present, it may be better not to talk to them, and leave that to those who have experience, and are happy to do so.

I would have thought this was general practice in any large organisation, I'm certainly happy not to have to do it. :wave

• Like 2

Hello A.J.B.,

Thank you for your insight.

I can think of no-one that has any issues with people at the sharpe end be they employed by The Broads Authority or any other large employer for that matter.

When personally dealing with the Broads  Authority be it the Tolls Office or at with the Rangers I have always found you to be understanding and professional.

Regards

Alan

Switched on Radio 4 this morning half way through a programme which was talking about the "BNP" and similar organisations constantly reinventing themselves to avoid falling foul of anti terrorism legislation.

It took a while for my brain to scroll through blog posts, several theories and reboot before I cottoned on that they were not discussing the Broads Authority!  :shocked

I have read and listened to all the comments with regard to gagging and so on, and find the whole thing very strange.

I have been an employee for many years of the BA, many of you will have met me in the past, those that have will know I have always said what I believe to be correct whether this is for or against the BA.. Those that employ me have never suggested I stop replying to PM's or indeed make comments on any of the forums, in reality, I have been encouraged to do so on many occasions. 

As Rangers it has been suggested that if we are attending an incident and the media are present, it may be better not to talk to them, and leave that to those who have experience, and are happy to do so.

I would have thought this was general practice in any large organisation, I'm certainly happy not to have to do it. :wave

Thanks for posting that Andy.

It's good to hear another perspective on this, especially from a very informed source.

Thanks for posting that Andy.

It's good to hear another perspective on this, especially from a very informed source.

Indeed it is, I also regard those that I talk to within as being 'very informed sources', but perhaps that's just me! Whilst I don't doubt Andy for one nano second I am grateful to folk such as David Broad for his very public revelation regarding gagging.

• Like 1

So now we have different  informed and respected sources, that you don't doubt, with opposite personal experiences regarding the accusation that the BA gags its employees.

So now we have different  informed and respected sources, that you don't doubt, with opposite personal experiences regarding the accusation that the BA gags its employees.

I believe that the gagging accusation levelled by David Broad referred to members of the BA, not employees.

A.J.B., I have looked back through forum posts you have made over the past few years and, while I would not describe you (to use your expression) as a company puppet, you do come across as a company man. I mean that in a complimentary way.

However, you have not become involved in any political discussions, such as the alleged gagging of members and, if you seriously disagreed with an Authority policy, I have my doubts about how long you'd last if you voiced that disagreement in the Press.

In my, that's how it should be. An employee should be loyal to his employer.

The members, on the other hand, should represent the organisation/people by whom they were appointed. Otherwise, what is the point of those appointers choosing people to appoint?

Perhaps a way forward, which might restore some faith in the Authority, would be for the appointees to report back to their appointers any problems or disagreements they have with the Authority.

So, taking David Broad as an example, as he has put his head above the parapet, he would bring his concerns to the Navigation Committee, they would be minuted (he might even get support) and the public would get to know about it.

• Like 2

There are several issues mentioned in Peters op that concern me, they are.

1.  The Broads plan review

Just WHO will they be consulting regarding the updating of the plan review, are they local people, buisnesses, toll payers, or is it just the executive commitee themselves?, and why will it take nearly a year to undertake the first draught, which i assume wiull then be ammended several times over yet more lengthy delays?.

2.  Broads Landscape Partnership

Which projects are going to benefit from the Lottery funding, is any of it going to pay for way overdue drdging, or is it going to be purely for politically sensative "environmental projects" only?.

3.  Hickling Broad Restoration Project.

Why should it take 6 months to merely AGREE on a vision of this so called long term approach, and exactly WHO will be allowed to read it when it`s finally published, toll payers, lcal people and buisnesses, or again, just the execytive commitee?.

4.  Promoting The Broads

Has`nt the Broads National Park re-branding already be implimented, or are there other hidden agendas to vote on that we have not been told about?.

5.  Stakeholder Action Plan.

Who are the "KEY" stakeholders?.  Does this mean they WON`T be having dialogue with ALL stakeholders, but only those that are of significant interest to them?, and just exactly who will be discussing the issues with them, the executibve comittee themselves, or those "appointees" that the executive put in the line of fire, (cannon fodder) to take the flak?.

I agree with what others have said above that the BAs frontline staff (river and quay rangers) have mostly been excellent to deal with (with 2 exceptions), but it`s the backroom illuminate i mistrust, and the recent gagging orders, and scolding of one of their free speeking comittee members just encourages more mistrust. As for an employee having loyalty to his / her employer, loyalty is a two way street, and if an employer is going to abuse any employee in ANY way whatsoever, they cannot expect any loyalty in return, as loyalty and respect are EARNED, they are definitely NOT a rite of postion or status.

• Like 1

Clive, The geography of the area has long been inaccurately described, most people knowing of the area as either The Broads, or The Norfolk Broads, when to give it the full title it is The Norfolk AND Suffolk Broads. However perhaps a more accurate analogy would be this. Would it be misleading, or even legal, to advertise and hire the lodges at Wayford Bridge, Moonfleet, Hippersons or Whispering Reeds as Platinum fleet hire boats? I have no doubt they are very comfortable, they float on water, have all the facilities of boats, make for a good holiday break, but importantly are not boats and should never be represented or branded as such, despite having much in common with the average boat.

I would guess it would not be illegal but perhaps misleading  to put them in the platinum range

Are they advertised as such?

Not that I'm aware of, but then neither should they be. In much the same way as the Broads shouldn't be marketed as something it's not.

The irony of all this discussion is that sitting here now moored down Upton dyke it doesn't feel at all like a quiet magical waterway. Not since the Jolly F@@@@@@@g Ritchie which is moored just beyond me started it's rather noisy engine at 4.48am. Can I suggest some new batteries and a new silencer would go a long way to restoring peace and tranquillity.

I'm posting this from a mobile device and for some reason cannot find the emoticons, which is probably just as well because there probably arn't enough to describe just how p@@@@d off I am right now.

Hi Ian,

I was fortunate to play with and against Aussie test players in the 60's and early 70's. So I guess your right, I am a very keen cricket fan. Oh to have bowled on wickets with so much bounce, like at the MCG! :naughty:

cheers Iain