Alphacraft hurricane

Mandybstorm

Iain,

I think your idea is the best yet. Might upset the BA as it would erode the bank a little, but then they did ask those boats to try a bit speeding through there at the weekend.

Or a JCB/dredger to just nick a bit of the bank out the way, but have to be careful the arm doesn't get trapped.

The lift bags could go horribly wrong if you didnt get them perfectly positioned.

Or the cheap one which is wait for the moon.

• Like 3

Iain,

I think your idea is the best yet. Might upset the BA as it would erode the bank a little, but then they did ask those boats to try a bit speeding through there at the weekend.

Or a JCB/dredger to just nick a bit of the bank out the way, but have to be careful the arm doesn't get trapped.

The lift bags could go horribly wrong if you didnt get them perfectly positioned.

Or the cheap one which is wait for the moon.

Hi Mark, :wave

Nice to see you posting again, thought you'd taken the huff! :naughty:

cheers Iain

Hi Iain,

Good to be back - Had a few other issues and chores to deal with over the winter so not really been thinking about boats and things or feeling very social to be honest.

All good now though and a spot of sun does wonders for the old fingers on the keyboard :rolleyes: And the Daffs are out in the garden as well

• Like 2

RE: airbags, i have seen Albatros of wells harber, re-floated off a bank in similar circumstances, although they were the sausage type, keelhauled under the keel, you would have to dig under her to do that, and that bank would collapse anyway,bags each side carefully inflated would help

Lots of armchair ideas, many of which I am sure would have been tried if feasible. 

The idea of pushing rather than pulling or lifting has to be favourite (apart from waiting for nature), but I doubt that the ground is strong enough to hold a teleporter close enough to the boat. 

A couple of seasons ago, Absolute Freedom was deposited, tansom first on my quayheading on a high tide (by about 8 inches). I didn't dare wait for the next tide, so pushed it off with my teleporter. Interesting wave form!

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

We have all reported on various forums in the past regarding the height boards at bridges, they are overgrown, or are unreadable at the lower markings (not ideal for boats with higher air drafts).

We then get the problems of the swing bridges not being able to open and close in hot weather because of rail expansion (at one time they fitted summer rails sets on the bridges). Somerleyton bridge seems to have more problems than Reedham Bridge and is always a problem to higher boats when out of service.

The pontoon mooring below the bridge is difficult to use because of the current there.

Regards

Alan

Never mind the boat, that bridge could do with a serious lick of paint, it is an eyesore. I think it is need of some Forth Bridge treatment, to get it looking new again.

Geoff I saw it being painted....once! :naughty:  About 1995? 

cheers Iain

I was going to make a comment about that Alan, but did`nt want to cause you any anxiety, as i`m sure you and Dave have had more than your fair share of it over the last year or so?.

Come to think of it, it might be there when you arrive?.

Don't worry Neil. I've already got no nails left so I don't think I can get even more anxious!.. I think I'm at the stage... "if it happens it happens!.. If not I'll worry about it later!!" This is the worst bit though.. once it's in and floating it will be fine! I know for certain though no one is using the slipway that weekend apart from us!  

• Like 3