Rubbish bins in Horning

fishtone

Long gone are the days when companies had a bin supplied by the local authorities all bins at companies have to be on a contract with a company, be it the local authority or another provider. Supermarkets are changed extra for the cardboard that they have to bale up.

All companies pay very large rates and more so in towns, it makes you wonder how many of them survive.

With regards to bins used on the Broads if they were of the domestic type then these bins could form part of the weekly/fortnightly domestic route rather than sending out a vehicle that is needed for commercial bins. Just a thought.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Local Councils are great at spreading fear or blamig others.

For example a Council could blame others (pick a department in central Government) that had reduced a budget so we have less money to spend on refuse collections.  You can then spread fear by countering anyone who delves deeper into actual costs and ask too many questions by saying something like “We of course would like a rubbish skip at certain locations but evidence suggests that fly tippers will fill the skip with commercial rubbish leaving those with domestic refuse unable to use it”

Really I think it comes down to money and lack of anyone wanting to take responsibility.  Close toilets, remove bins etc it does kick up a fuss of course – but while that fuss is going on people do adapt like I had to when on the boat leaving the bags or rubbish outside in the aft well until such time as I found somewhere to dispose of them. 

Problem is the council departments then look at the situation and say things like “it appears that matters whilst hard are getting better and the public are recycling more and taking more refuse home”. 

In time it all just becomes a memory of where bins once were, or an overgrown brick building which locals may say ‘this used to the local toilets’.  Then, out of the blue years down the road a local MP looking to boost their popularity will suddenly raise a campaign ‘if you vote for me I will work towards the reinstatement of the local toilets in Acle’ or ‘I will work for a cleaner Broadland by reintroducing bins at key locations”.

Like many things to do with politics, it has a funny smell about it!

• Like 2

A few years past Robin I had a complete change in direction - I do work for a local Authority and I also work in waste management ,I have also seen budget cuts ordered by local councillors so harsh to the point that man and machine are stretched to the point where clearing the days scheduled tasks are almost unachievable hence the national recycling push - my advice and the timing is almost perfect with an election around the corner is to start bending the ear of your local councillor the very ones that sanctioned the very cuts that we are seeing the effects of

Finny

• Like 2

I remember in the seventies the bin men in the Stockport area went on strike. It had gone on for weeks and a severe health hazard was happening with rats and terrible smells. A bright spark then took his rubbish and put it on the town hall steps. Within a fairly short period of time you could not access the town hall for rubbish, truly huge amounts. Do you know the strike was over and the rubbish cleared that very same day, come daylight.

• Like 3

The sad fact is that all services provided need paying for, who should pay is where the problem comes in.

Local Councils get their money from the community charge or business rates, if they want to spend more they have to charge more.

Business gets their money from the customers (same people who pay the community charge) if their costs go up then so do their prices.

The bottom line is that we have to except cut's or paying more, I don't like it any more than the next man but we are left at the end of the money chain, everyone passes costs on until it reaches us and the chain stops.

What is paid into council fund via local community charges is only a very small amount considering what is needed it's the funds that come from government that really matter . Councils as a rule provide directly or indirectly 700 plus daily services across its borough these government budget cuts are at the stage where front line services are feeling the effect like we are seeing here ,I truly feel for our front line lads and lasses who quite often bare public anger originally aimed at council policy's mainly because they are first point of contact . Anyway I will say it again - give the chosen councillors an ear bashing and by E mail as it stays on file

Keepthebroadstidyhashtagfin

• Like 2