Rubbish bins in Horning

fishtone

Came past the Ferry Inn at Horning this afternoon and could not believe the state of the rubbish collection point. There was rubbish spilling all over the bins and on the floor. It looked as though they have not been emptied this year. What ever must visitors think when they see this mess. Not what you would expect to see in a National Park. 

Today found that the bins in South Walsham and then Upton have been removed ,so I hope we don't go back to seeing it strewn along the riverside as happened before.Also two portable toilets are now in the doorways of the Gents and Ladies toilets in the block in Fleet Lane I assume they are for the public ? No signs posted.

At one time it was a requirement that all Blakes & Hoseasons yards offered rubbish disposal facilities, is this not the case nowadays? In the meantime I think it behoves the BA to call for a meeting of the industry and public authorities with a view to finding a solution. However, finding a fair funding solution won't be so easy! I can appreciate local councils pleading poverty, basically the problem is not caused by their ratepayers. In the meantime we all need to review our rubbish disposal solutions, we need to get used to the idea of taking our rubbish home and boatyards need to provide disposal alongside pump out, fuel and water supplies. Customers might need to accept a £5.00 surcharge for rubbish disposal.

• Like 1

If you have a local economy that relies on tourism , it is essential that facilities are provided and maintained.

The removal of waste / toilet facilities will only have one of two outcomes..... a bl--dy great mess which will cost more to clean up than the savings achieved by the previous removal of the facilities or a decline in tourism.

Its about time local authorities were provided with calculators so they can do the maths properly for once.

• Like 6

I live in a tourist area, and our local council have thank goodness made litter a top priority to have it removed down at the seafront and in town at regular intervals, as in daily! 

I was down along the seafront on Wednesday on my scooter, it was busy too, the sun brings the punters out, and of course the litter. There was a council pick up caged van and two lads out with the plastic bags and tongs picking any loose bits up and bagging them. They had been along emptying the litter bins also. This was at 3.30pm 

Whoever is responsible for litter removal on the Broadland network, I hope they get it sorted out PDQ. Its a HUGE health hazard just waiting to happen IMHO.

cheers Iain.

• Like 6

JM on a day out, I would take my rubbish home, after a week or more on the boat, I would regard the rubbish as a health hazard on the journey. I pay tolls, and I support local businesses. I expect the BA to work with local authorities to provide basic sanitary cover, and I would not mind paying a bit to secure that. I think the situation is bonkers!

• Like 2

This is a tough one! The local authority is probably being squeezed so much so they have to focus on local issues as you would expect from your own local authority however they should provide the odd rubbish bin for the casual visitor although I don't expect to see them providing huge rubbish bins at every corner for boaters as you don't see this elsewhere..

I don't agree we should be taking it home though as that's just going to cause serious problems...I'd expect the BA to be providing rubbish facilities near their free moorings and certainly at the "yacht stations". I would expect hire boat and private yards to have rubbish facilities too. For village moorings perhaps they should provide bins but as a boat using this perhaps as we are using these facilities we should pay for this, I don't agree this should come out of local residents tax money ... I personally have no problem putting a quid in a pot to pay for my refuse at such moorings.  Does anyone know what happens on the inland canal system? 

• Like 3

On the canals the Canal & River Trust (successors to British Waterways) have rubbish disposal points at fairly regular intervals. There are also many water points and at some locations portable toilet emptying facilities and showers. There were at one time washing machines at some locations but I don't know if this facility has been discontinued.

Roy

• Like 2

On the canals the Canal & River Trust (successors to British Waterways) have rubbish disposal points at fairly regular intervals. There are also many water points and at some locations portable toilet emptying facilities and showers. There were at one time washing machines at some locations but I don't know if this facility has been discontinued.

Roy

There you go then simple answer to the problem.....link the broads to the canal system and there will be plenty of waste disposal sites (of all varieties) available......

• Like 4

There you go then simple answer to the problem.....link the broads to the canal system and there will be plenty of waste disposal sites (of all varieties) available......

We can all but Dream!

Clearly in comparison then the BA should be providing the facilities.. tut tut BA lol... Up go the tolls!  :hardhat:

Norfolk as a county and the Broads wants tourists; well at least their hard earned cash to help pay for the services that these local authorities provide.

It is only right that basis sevices are provided in the form of litter bins, public toilets etc.

The B.A. and the local authorities need to get their act together, this should have been sorted last year when the services were removed and not  draged on into yet another season. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 7

Joking aside for a few minutes,

The BA and local authority have both suffered budget cuts, these cuts mean costs/services must be reduced, this leaves hard choices to make.

Cut back on dredging.

Cut back on mooring maintenance.

Cut back on welfare payments.

Cut back on education.

Reduce the number of hospital beds.

Simple truth is to keep a bin service requires new money, £1 added to hire charges and the same for private tolls would cover the cost and leave no one greatly out of pocket.

It just needs people to talk and work together instead of the head in the sand approach currently being used.

• Like 1

As Alan mentioned this was discussed a fair bit on this forum last year.

If I also recall someone posted a link to some budget info and I think it was going to be quite a few quid per licence payer to cover the rubbish collection - As I already pay a kings ransom for my Broads tolls I guess even if it was a tenner it wouldn't make too much of a difference to me - but I do appreciate others may need to be more frugal with their money.

There was also the issue of land ownership (probably not the issue in Horning) but not all land where the bins were/are is owned by the BA and that it encouraged fly tipping. At least it would all be tipped in one place though.

If anyone has dealt or worked with councils or these type of authorities you probably know how hard it is to get someone to actually make a decision - good or bad. 

As Littlesprite says - sit down, talk it over and make a decision - but not the one that means we don't have any bins!!!

Maybe we should start a petition?

All that said, hopefully it was just the left overs from a busy Easter and the bin men hadn't been - I have been to OB on many occasions when the bins there were over flowing.

God forbid. There's already too many of those iron pipes they call boats on the Broads as it is :naughty:

• Like 1

As a newbie I apologise if I am out of order but I think this problem is more political than financial, my own council provide free collection of larger items over and above normal refuse collections as it is cheaper than clearing up fly tipping, its not so much about resources as priorities when budgeting for these facilities.

I also believe I am correct in saying all Hire Yards and Private Marinas provide rubbish disposal facilities free of charge.

Fred 

• Like 1

Yes Hire yards and Private mariners have rubbish bins, they are not really free as this is classed as commercial waste and is paid for by the owners. The problem has come that rubbish from hire boats has been classified now as commercial waste as well, so councils have to be paid to collect it. Local councils have said as this is now the case they will remove the bins so they do not have to pay at all for disposal of the rubbish. Trouble is this hits everyone hirer or private boats and as was seen at Potter last season it looked at site with normal bins overflowing.

Many, many years ago my headmaster,( who was born and bred in Norwich) would always preach to us about litter.

He would always say that " In Norwich where I come from you never see any litter anywhere"

When I started to visit the broads a year later I was amazed to find that he was right.  In the market area there were litter pickers and bin emptiers coming round every 15 minutes. Very impressive!!

Since then it seems that every worker in the Council has their own individual Manager, hence the fact the Councils are now saying they do not have enough cash to pay the worker to do the job they were employed to do !!

To put it bluntly,  get rid of most of the "chiefs" and let the "Indians" do their job !*!

Jeff 

• Like 4

Hi Fred.

Nothing to apologise for. WE all on the forum have our thoughts on this thread/subject. I agree though about the hire yards, yep i've deposited litter in many of them over many years. Priveteers sorry, cannot comment don't know.

However, I think, but glady be proved wrong, that folks do not want to see the Broads turned into a rubbish tip. Removing bins from places that we have all used at sometime or other just does not make sense to me. 

To many reading this, it will sound like an old 78rpm record that's stuck, and yes it probably is, but that does not mean a solution cannot be found surely?

Do the Councils/Authorities really wish the beautiful holiday area they have, to be turned into a huge skip!

If we get a very hot summer, I fear the worst for all concerned.

Sorry folks for my rant, but I do worry, I really do.

cheers Iain

• Like 3