Rubbish bins in Horning

fishtone

I have to say I agree with Fred - it must be easier to collect/dispose of rubbish if it is in one place - in the end you do encourage fly tipping.

I used to live in Croydon many years ago and I could take as much of anything I liked to the "Dump". Move to Norfolk and its one bag of not a lot per day to the "recycling centre". I have even been tempted to fly tip myself (but never followed up).

The name is changed to be PC, but it is still the same place.

A few weeks ago I asked about disposing of normal emulsion after doing some decorating and you cant even take that to be "recycled" safely.

ps. My marina has massive bins for all sorts of rubbish and am not sure how some people get away with dumping old canopies, metalwork, wood, carpets from refits etc in there but I guess if it's classed as commercial waste do they care?

Rant over :party:

Thanks Ian,

I know the excuse is reclassification as commercial waste for hire boats, a very grey area as its the hire boat owners that are commercial businesses, individual hirers are members of the general public and it is certainly not applicable to the many private boats.

As with many things now its become easier to reclassify things to pass the onus on to someone else than sort the problem at source.

Fred

• Like 3

On this subject can anyone tell me where you can dispose of rubbish on the southern rivers these days?

We are on the south for a change in two weeks time not having done that side for many years (we usually stay North)

Last time we stayed south there was a lot more hire yards than there are these days

Obviously there will be plenty in Brundall but we are hiring from Silverline so will be travelling away from there

We cook most of our meals onboard so do generate some rubbish and won't want to keep it onboard all week

Thanks in advance

Hi David,

There were bins at both Beccles and Oulton YS, Loddon Staithe, Rockland Staithe Norwich YS. Not sure about Reedham now, Brammerton was a no I believe. 

I am sure we will all find out in due course.....Just follow the awful stench or smell! :norty: Hopefully my last sentence remains in jest! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

Thanks Iain & Baitrunner

They are all on our list of places to visit so am sure we'll manage.

As for following my nose, unfortunately ( or fortunately possibly in this case) I have no sense of smell due to sinus problems so will have to send mum or brother out to look for the bins lol

• Like 1

I spent a whole day (a cold and windy day as it happens) a couple of months back in a rectangular flat bottomed aluminium boat (a "tin tray") with a little outboard motor on the back.  I went from where Womack joins the Thurne, up to the first Potter Heigham bungalow along one bank, and then back along the other bank, voluntarily litter picking in the reeds and a few feet onto the bank (as far as I could safely reach with a boat hook and a litter picking claw).

From this short stretch of river I filled about a dozen/fifteen black plastic sacks with discarded beer bottles and cans, polystyrene and paper cups, polystyrene and aluminium takeaway food containers, plastic lemonade bottles, washing up liquid bottles, shampoo bottles, tied up plastic shopping bags containing all kinds of stuff, disposable nappies ... etc, etc.

As a Norfolk boy I'm proud of my home and want to help to keep it clean.  There's quite a few of us who make the effort to get involved and look after this special place, with no reward, for ourselves and our visitors.  It would be nice to see a few more locals stop whingeing about what the BA and others should be doing and get stuck in, and if some of our visitors would be a bit more respectful of our home (our environment). 

• Like 12

There you go then simple answer to the problem.....link the broads to the canal system and there will be plenty of waste disposal sites (of all varieties) available......

Won't happen now! The BA is selling off land at Geldeston that was bought by their predecessors with a view to reopening the Bungay navigation. This would then have required a tad of dredging, and a bridge or two, but a link to the Ouse could then have become a reality. As it is it's out at Yarmouth, turn left, up to Kings Lynn, turn left again and there you are, simples! 

• Like 1

Like Bob the Dog I pick an occasional bin bag full of crap and detritus from off the bank. The problem comes when I try and dispose of it. I have had as many as sixteen bin bags in my dory, far more than my wheelie bin can cope with, so I have to fill my car and go to the local, council tip, and then the problems can really start because it's not regarded as household rubbish. I can get away with a few bags at a time and dumping a bag each in neighbours wheelie bins, if they have any spare space, but bigger stuff has been a real problem in the past. Dedicated skips at main boating centres would be an answer but then how do you discourage non boating rubbish? It's a problem that is not going to go away, a problem that needs co-operation between stakeholders.

• Like 6

I have in the past picked up other peoples rubbish left a moorings and disposed of it with our own but sadly now I would just have to leave it.

Its a sorry state of affairs and seems to be affecting the whole country in many different ways but sadly seems more and more to be the way the powers that be want it

Hi Folks,

Just a wee bump up of this thread, I made enquiries regarding the litter situation and have had two replies.

One from NNDC who say they have nothing to do with the Broads rubbish removal and another today from the Broadland District Council. It would appear there has been a meeting of all concerned. A brief extract of the letter received.

"Broadland District Council, North Norfolk District Council, Great Yarmouth Borough Council, South Norfolk Council and the Broads Authority have worked in partnership to deliver a network of waste facilities spread out across the Broads Network for the 2015 boat season."

"The Broads boat hire federation have also helped by working with boat hire companies to compile a list of their waste disposal facilities which are available for all boat users."

I hope that clears up any doubt, including my own.

cheers Iain.

• Like 5

No bins at Bramerton now as i found the other day, had to keep ours till we got to Norwich yacht station to dispose of it, i wasn't the only one at Bramerton either expecting to leave  rubbish, the concrete pad is still there, perhaps we should protest and leave it there anyway two guns

• Like 2

Hi Folks,

Just a wee bump up of this thread, I made enquiries regarding the litter situation and have had two replies.

One from NNDC who say they have nothing to do with the Broads rubbish removal and another today from the Broadland District Council. It would appear there has been a meeting of all concerned. A brief extract of the letter received.

"Broadland District Council, North Norfolk District Council, Great Yarmouth Borough Council, South Norfolk Council and the Broads Authority have worked in partnership to deliver a network of waste facilities spread out across the Broads Network for the 2015 boat season."

"The Broads boat hire federation have also helped by working with boat hire companies to compile a list of their waste disposal facilities which are available for all boat users."

I hope that clears up any doubt, including my own.

cheers Iain.

Nice one, Iain.

I`m not taken in with all these claims that authoriies are being squeezed, they`re not. What central government want ALL authorities to do is to tighten up on WASTAGE. Wastage covers a lot of things,  Waste, obviously, but other non essentials, or should we call them luxuries such as jollies, and "team building days".

Years ago, before Karen and i got together, i was in a relationship with a woman who was a civil servant in the Kent education department. Very often, she would say she was going on one of these team building days, which would turn out to be a day trip to France, or a two day trip to Alton towers. She said that when they recieved their budget, they would  work well withing that budget, and when there was a surplus every so many weeks, rather than lhave that surplus taken away, making it cheaper for the council tax payers, they would arrange yet another "team building day". Kent county council funded them numerous "team building days" shopping in London,  trips to Alton towers, day trips to France, trips to the English coast, etc etc etc.

Perhaps if councils were to cut these forms of wastage, not to mention the fact finding trips to global conferences that actually have nothing to do with their area, or good will trips to twin towns in Europe, things like Waste bins and disposal might be increased rather than done away with altogether?.

One thing`s for sure, there`s no way on earth i`m going to have rubbish bags stacked up on Lightning, or any boat i may hire in the future, so if the BA and NCC don`t want fly tipping going on, BRING BACK THE WASTE BINS.

Rant over.

• Like 6

perhaps a 45 gallon drum with the top cut off and holes in the bottom at every mooring may help.? I think it is a shame the bottle banks and paper bins have gone as this would ease the situation and produce an income....

• Like 4

No doubt Clive you will either need a permit to burn or pay a fine for pollution ,tipping fees are massive and rising - best part of three grand per bin waggon and considering that waggon may tip three or four times per day its soon adds up and i doubt that there isn't a waste management team in the country knocking square pegs into round holes because of harsh budget cuts - recycling does pay and off sets cost but getting folk to do it proper is another thing

finny

This seems to be Gt Yarmouth DC's contribution at Potter Heigham...a domestic-sized wheelie-bin, alongside the existing litter bin. Look carefully at the photo and you can see a wire frame at the rear of the lid. This is the top of a mechanism that prevents the lid from being opened by more than a few inches, and there will just about be enough of a gap to squeeze a carrier-bag full of rubbish into the bin. The bin is also secured to the solid base that has been installed.

Obviously, the refuse-collectors will be issued with keys to enable them to unlock the bin from the base, and the lid from the frame, to enable the bin to be emptied.

This bin, and the litter bin, are immediately adjacent to the parish car park, so, presumably, the cost of clearing the bags of rubbish which will, inevitably, appear next to the bins will fall on the PC or GYDC, rather than the BA.

One small step for man...

post-117-0-18953400-1429082339_thumb.jpg

I may be missing something, but the area wants tourists, this in turn leads to those people buying from local shops etc, which in turn generates waste which was purchased from the local area, therefore shouldn't the business rates paid by those businesses be partly used to fund waste disposal? At home I pay my local council tax and in return the council collects my rubbish and also provides bins in the local shopping areas. I don't see why I should pay again to dispose of my waste in Broadland. I make a point of buying local when in Broadland, and therefore if a levy is to be applied anywhere it should be on those local businesses that are benefitting from my custom when in Broadland. There are waste facilities at my home mooring which is where the last bag of rubbish before I leave the boat goes and any waste generated when working on my boat. Any other waste generated whilst on the boat is by and large from purchases made in Broadland. 

• Like 3

This is where it gets mad ...the wheelie bin will be emptied via waste management (don't be to surprised if both get surrounded with black bags ) and the litter bin will be emptied by street scene both council departments although run separate and the daft thing is that they will both end up at the same place with the tipping fee paid by the same Authority although under different department budgets .it would make more sense to just have one container but councils don't run on common sense

Flytipfin

• Like 5

Just wondering what reaction you would get if you shopped at let's say Roys and then go back to the boat, unpack everything, then take all the EXCESS packaging back to the customer services desk at the shop

Try explaining that they should dispose of it as it is classed as commercial waste which originally came from their commercial premises !!

Jeff

This is where it gets mad ...the wheelie bin will be emptied via waste management (don't be to surprised if both get surrounded with black bags ) and the litter bin will be emptied by street scene both council departments although run separate and the daft thing is that they will both end up at the same place with the tipping fee paid by the same Authority although under different department budgets .it would make more sense to just have one container but councils don't run on common sense

Flytipfin

What you`re forgetting Finny, is that local authorities are being encouraged to take on more university graduates to help with unemployment. If you had only one department collecting ALL waste, that`s one departmental staffing structure. If however you had 2 or manybe even more different departments to cover waste disposal, think of how many more graduates can be expensively employed in all those invented management positions that in truth, need not exist.

Jobs for the boys as they say, and charge it to the council tax payer.

As for asking local buisness to pay a levy for all the waste their customers generate, is`nt that what they`ve been paying for already in their buisness rates?.

Jeff,

But I don't think Roy's should dispose of it because they have already paid business rates and part of that should be used to support their business by providing rubbish disposal bins around the local area. Such short sightedness by those supposedly elected to represent us!!!!!

• Like 2