Crossing a milestone

I really must protest ( though not perhaps as loudly as Alex might protest at being accused of being most active when horizontal ) at this slight. I am known for my athleticism when ashore, striding towards the nearest supply of alcohol, nay, near sprinting to a cooked breakfast and the speed I approach a comfortable chair is of Olympic standards. I had our family motto translated from the original latin. It reads...

Sloth and Gluttony improved by Alcohol.

• Like 4

We have indeed had more than 1000 members, but had a lot of culls to remove spam registrations and accounts that hadn't been used for a couple of years...

We no longer do the latter, though, and the new forum software takes care of 99% of spammers, so this time it's 1000 real members, which is quite exciting.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure. Browsing through the list of members, there are pages and pages of members who have never posted, and nearly 800 members who have made fewer than 10 posts.

I think quality is better than quantity.

• Like 2

Hmmm, I'm not so sure. Browsing through the list of members, there are pages and pages of members who have never posted, and nearly 800 members who have made fewer than 10 posts.

I think quality is better than quantity.

If that's how you feel, Paladin, If its that low, why then did YOU bother to reply?

cheers Iain

• Like 2

Hello Paladin,

Being as you seem to have plenty of time on your hands maybe you would be good enough to produce a spread sheet listing all current members, how many posts they have made, if none have they logged in recently, or have they recently joined, etc.

If you do find time please send me your results so we can act on them.

Maybe you could do the same on all of the other boating forums so everyone knows where they stand.

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

Paladin(e)... I'm sure the members are interested learn that you refer to them all as quality! that's very kind of you. cheers Grace grab a bottle and pour one for Paladin(e)!

This is probably largely why this forum is doing so well.. Every individual post here is clearly valued and of a quality standard. Perhaps there's the odd couple trolling ones however every forum suffers from this even those with 10k plus members ;) ;)  :naughty:  :naughty:

• Like 3

At the end of the day does it really matter? Jeff and I noticed there were a 1000 members, something to celebrate in my book (any excuse to have wine lol) Some of us post on a daily basis, others maybe not from one month to the next, it really doesn't matter. What matters is that most people that do post on here respect each other with very little if any nastiness or bad feeling and that makes this Forum a very nice place to be in my opinion. So forget the bloody statistics of it and enjoy it for what it is and that's to be able to have a laugh or some serious debate with like minded, Broads loving people.

Grace  :kiss

p.s Jeff, what's Cherryade?  :naughty:

• Like 10

I post here and I post there at the moment I am mostly posting here.

Why ..... It currently feels welcoming, the mods seem to act in a reasonable manner and there is a reasonable turn over of topics & posts.

I have no allegiance to any particular forum and will continue to browse and participate in several.

To those that may feel reluctant to post I encourage you to give it a go. It doesn't matter (on here anyway) whether it's a load of old cobblers (I offer this humble example as exhibit 1).

Who knows you might even collect a few "love" points on the way.

• Like 5

I view this forum as the best for mass debates on various topics not just the Broads or boats - I am proud and privileged to be viewed as a quality mass debater  :hardhat:

ps. Grace, it's someone who helps an ex prime ministers wife  :naughty:  :naughty:

• Like 4

At the end of the day does it really matter? Jeff and I noticed there were a 1000 members, something to celebrate in my book (any excuse to have wine lol) Some of us post on a daily basis, others maybe not from one month to the next, it really doesn't matter. What matters is that most people that do post on here respect each other with very little if any nastiness or bad feeling and that makes this Forum a very nice place to be in my opinion. So forget the bloody statistics of it and enjoy it for what it is and that's to be able to have a laugh or some serious debate with like minded, Broads loving people.

Grace  :kiss

Wonderfully said, Gracie!  :clap :clap :clap

:love 

• Like 1

If that's how you feel, Paladin, If its that low, why then did YOU bother to reply?

cheers Iain

Feel like what? What do you think is 'that low'? My point was that there are many, many, members who have joined and have never posted, or have made fewer than 10 posts. I'm not sure why anyone would join a forum and not even make one post.

But the numbers don't really matter. For example, 50 active members, making interesting and/or informative posts is much better than 5000 members who don't make any contribution.

My post was not a comment of the merits of the forum, as you seem to think. It was a comment on the inactivity of the majority of 'members'. Any and every forum will have the same experience.

Hello Paladin,

Being as you seem to have plenty of time on your hands maybe you would be good enough to produce a spread sheet listing all current members, how many posts they have made, if none have they logged in recently, or have they recently joined, etc.

Maybe you could do the same on all of the other boating forums so everyone knows where they stand.

Regards

Alan

No spreadsheet is necessary. In the Member List, there are 49 pages, each listing approx. 20 members. The basic list shows the members user name, their date of joining and their number of posts.

However, there is also a search facility, which allows filters to be applied, such as post count, join date, last post, last visit, etc., so it is very simple to get a list of members who, for example, have never posted and haven't loogged on this year (or any of the other parameters can be used). I'm surprised that, as a member of the forum admin. team, you didn't know about it.

I'm not interested in comparisons between forums. Why should it matter?

• Like 1

Hello Paladin,

I am a moderator not a admin member, yes I have set up and researched a number of our information pages but that done to help the forum members find information about the Broads, be it where to look for marine services, canopy repairs, BSS inspectors etc.

I know of a number of viewers of the forum have yet to post and a few long standing forum members have only just started posting.

I know when I first started going on the various broads forums it was so I could find out information regarding Broads stoppages, tide tables, distance charts and local weather and viewing the webcams to help make our visits to the Broads more fulfilling.

A number of first time members to a forum tend to be members that are hiring a boat for an holiday, they may just visit a forum for that period or like what they see and stay and may become more involved posting many messages every week or per day.

As I have said many time both on this and other forums members are entitled to come and go as they wish, all we ask is that when they are on the NBN forum that they treat all the other members with respect, and think about what you post before hitting the post button.

We like debate, we like tips, we like advice, pictures and even some of the jokes, however a condescending manner can sometimes go against the grain.

Regards

Alan

• Like 5

That's nothing Martin, I painted my lounge the other week, on the side of the tin of paint I bought it said 'For Best Results use two coats' Well I won't take any notice of that again, I had to take one of the coats off half way through I was so damned hot :naughty:

Grace :kiss

• Like 7

I hate it when posts go off topic. Disgraceful, the people responsible should realise that they have a degree of responsibility.

Here we are having a riveting discussion about painting and now Grace wants to take her clothes off!!

Whatever is the forum coming too?

• Like 4

Hello Paladin,

Regards

Alan

We like debate, we like tips, we like advice, pictures and even some of the jokes, however a condescending manner can sometimes go against the grain.

Regards

Alan

I couldn't agree more.