Hit and Run

CaptinDread

Mystic Horizon....

Stay away from this boat this week, Surprised both vessels didn't sustain any damage as he turned round at Stalham and proceeded to give my boat a good whallop on the way out.

cheera mate, I did see you if you frequent this forum.

Sorry to hear that Captin, indeed a numpty, not all hirers are like that, most of us treat all boats and the Broads with the utmost respect. We have been on the recieving end of a couple of owners shouting at us to mind their boats, the fact that we were no where near them and in all our boating years have never hit another boat seems to make no difference. I am as far away as you'll ever get to being in the hirer verses owner brigade but we are not all numpties and some of us are pretty damn good at helming a boat. I do understand the concerns of boat owners especially in the silly season, if I owned a boat I would avoid the River Ant on a Friday/Saturday afternoon like my life depended on it lol

Grace :kiss

• Like 8

Hi Grace, i myself have witnessed some OTT behavior from owners on a few occasions, not always towards hirers either! I immediately dislike any boat owner who becomes all anal about their boat being "brushed" which we all know can easily happen when coming in to moor alongside, we cant wrap them in bubble wrap and some people really do need to get over themselves. The thing that frays my nerves is when you get hit under power because there really is no need for that, people can just make a bad situation worse doing that but otherwise to a certain degree some slight contact when mooring has got to be tolerated as it can happen to the best of us!

• Like 11

I don't mind the occasional tap dkns but I must admit this boat hit me under power while he was turning around.

If he took his time a little bit more he could've managed that turn without hitting anything, just a little too throttle happy.

I'm the same, II actually look at my flag and gauge the wind and see which way the water is going, most of the time i reverse to moor, it just seems to be easier for me.

I have got so close to one or two boats and bumped 1 or 2 but I really try not to.

• Like 7

We ALL occasionally make contact with another vessel so please be aware that....

We are all insured if the damage warrants a claim, no point in doing a hit & run. and...

If you do everything at as lower throttle as possible any damage will be minimal.

Be safe, but also play nicely! Then we all can have fun.

• Like 7

there is no need for the boats to run after hitting...

Let Acle know, they will ask for a incident report on return as a matter of course but if they deny a incident we can question a bit..

• Like 1

We are moored at the Ferry Inn ,Surlingham and helped a large bathtub stern moor next to us ,when tide and wind were against them

All credit as they took great care and problems were avoided they also turned their engine off promptly at 8pm too

The worst efforts of the day were two private boats ( no we were not one of them!), which hit others and made a general hash of it

I persoally would have left after the 2nd attempt wearing a bag over my head!!!☺

• Like 4

We are moored at the Ferry Inn ,Surlingham and helped a large bathtub stern moor next to us ,when tide and wind were against them

All credit as they took great care and problems were avoided they also turned their engine off promptly at 8pm too

The worst efforts of the day were two private boats ( no we were not one of them!), which hit others and made a general hash of it

I persoally would have left after the 2nd attempt wearing a bag over my head!!!☺

Surlingham ferry moorings can be tricky, especially with a planning hull, the combination of tide and wind make it deceptively easier than it is, last time we were there we kept loosing the bow when slowing towards the key heading, add in prop walk due to lack of water and it really can make you look like a complete novice!! :angel:

• Like 1

Thats certainly true re the wind and tide at Surlingham

I was not criticising in general, as we all get it horribly wrong from time to time

Its just that some of those who think they are so good seemed to learn absolutely nothing from two or three failed attempts

But then thats often the case in all walks of life I guess

• Like 2

Don't tell me about getting it wrong, one of our first attempts as a married couple at stern on at Ranworth Stiathe which took at least ten times and saw me hiding in the cabin for about an hour after we finally moored on a beautiful summers afternoon with what seemed to be a thousand people watching was one of the first moments I got to thinking I should never have introduced my new husband to Boating, my dad did it so much better lol. I'll tell you this though, everyone hirers and owners were absolutely lovely and saw the funny side when we explained it was my husbands first attempt and praised us for not actually hitting anything. We've also come a cropper at Surlingham with tide and wind, it really can happen to any of us but seeing as I only take the helm and moor up at wild moorings or anywhere I'm pretty sure no one is watching I am probably the best damn helmswoman you have ever seen lol :naughty:

Grace

• Like 10

The very best of us get it wrong at least once in our lives! 

Mention has been made of excessive throttle, that might not be the problem, but excessive hull speed might be. Prop walk can actually be helpful, but best master than in controlled conditions rather than in an uncontrolled panic!

My own particular nightmare is Reedham with a Northerly (off-shore) wind and a Spring tide in full ebb.

As I moor-up solo, the run from the helm to the stern of our Alpha and then the attempted leap ashore is sometimes getting a wee bit beyond my old bones!

• Like 4

I have lost count of the number of "hit and runs" perpetrated on my boat some of which have cracked the gellcoat. I do try to moor in places to reduce the chances of being hit but it still happens.

I think a lot of the problem is that boats do not steer like cars. The blunt end does not follow the sharp end when turning. The blunt end goes in the opposite direction as the boat pivots somewhere amidships.

What compounds the problem is sometimes the helmsman sometimes to make the boat steer like a car by grabbing a big handful of throttle and lord help anything fragile in the way of the swinging rear end.

Proper use of the current and wind, a little thought as to what these forces do to the boat and how they can be used to advantage and the practise of coming off a mooring in reverse can work wonders.

Please, if you don't get it right, have the common decency to stop and do the proper thing as one would do on the road.

Thank you.

• Like 5

My own particular nightmare is Reedham with a Northerly (off-shore) wind and a Spring tide in full ebb.

As I moor-up solo, the run from the helm to the stern of our Alpha and then the attempted leap ashore is sometimes getting a wee bit beyond my old bones!

Hi John,

As a veteran of the waterways you should be well aware that it is step from the boat, not leap or jump.

Especially if you want to protect those creaking bones :naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

All the things we say are all well and good... but totally ineffective!!!

The experienced amongst us know certain things and have worked out others, the problem is that for many, the broads holiday is the first experience they have of boat handling.

They assume it will handle pretty much like a car.

They assume that it must be pretty easy or they wouldn't be allowed to do it.

They assume that it must be safe to play on the water as the yards have a duty of care. and finally...

They assume that if they can't do it.... nobody else can either.

We all, in our arrogance, assume we are slightly better at things than Joe Public, (I know I am!)

and it is these assumptions that cause the impacts we are talking of here.

Sadly in the modern society in which we live, it goes against the grain to admit we are wrong, so when the novice hits a boat the thought process must go along the lines of...

"I wonder who's fault that was!

Not mine!! it was the wind... must have been!...

Odd how the back end swung out like that... boats must get hit an awfull lot with that happening!!!

Next time I'll try it faster, that will help. ...

I wonder why Tarquin is all wet and running along the bank!"

• Like 6

What amazes me is when people hit someone, then continue on - not even 'hey sorry you ok' being said.  Some form of acknowledgment of responsibility would be welcomed.

I think the main issue is a lot of people who holiday on the Broads don't appreciate the value of the boats around them and the cost of having put right small dings and scrapes.  I still maintain that a non-refundable waiver which appears to indemnify the hirer of any cost implications as a result of an accident (as long as not negligently brought about)  is not the best way to go about matters.

I don't mean to say the majority of hirers are irresponsible, but that one might hit another boat very and immediately just think 'ahh its ok I am covered' and thus feel no need to say anything.  If they had £150.00 left on account with the boatyard they may well think twice or go that little bit slower as they moor or turn wanting to get 100% of that money back upon their return. I won't use this thread as a place to vent my feelings about these waivers but I don't agree with them myself.

• Like 6

... If they had £150.00 left on account with the boatyard they may well think twice or go that little bit slower as they moor or turn wanting to get 100% of that money back upon their return. I won't use this thread as a place to vent my feelings about these waivers but I don't agree with them myself.

In the past, we have always paid the security deposit when hiring and we always got the full amount back, and that's when you could self drive all boats through Wroxham bridge ( those that would fit according to the brochure) I must have taken connoisseurs through about six or eight times, and Golden and Spring horizon through a couple of times, I was disappointed that we couldn't take Dazzling light through a few years back, and we had to use the Pilot, but it was included in the hire fee anyway.

Damage waiver is just another way the hire companies can pocket more profit, and that's why they are keen to do any third party repairs themselves.

Maybe there is some middle ground here, where a refundable deposit for small claims or damage to the hire craft and a damage waiver can be implemented for more serious damage to third parties.

As first timers on the Broads, I think we did pretty well. We kept to the speed limits, sometimes less, and always kept to the right. We had a few near misses, due to other boat hirer's cutting corners on the wrong side of the river and on a few occasions we had to take evasive action to avoid any contact. The only time we actually touched another boat, was on our second stern mooring at Ranworth, where the wind blew the front end towards the boat next to us. It only gently touched and I apologised for it.  The owner who was on board at the time (yes it was a private boat) said no worries, you did well, under the circumstances. The same owner advised us to drop our mudweight when stern mooring, if a strong wind was blowing across the bows,which would keep the front of the boat from drifting.

One of the trickiest places we found was Ludham Bridge, especially when travelling in the direction of How Hill, as you don't get a clear view of the bridge, until you get round the bend, before you can see someone coming through from the opposite direction, so you need to take extra care.

• Like 5

The only hard and fast rule I've learned from helming both narrowboats and "tupperware" boats is - if there's loads of folks about I will make a mess of it, and when there's nobody about to applaud my impeccable helmsmanship, it all goes like a dream!

• Like 6

If they had £150.00 left on account with the boatyard they may well think twice or go that little bit slower as they moor or turn wanting to get 100% of that money back upon their return. I won't use this thread as a place to vent my feelings about these waivers but I don't agree with them myself.

Robin, Hi.

In Holland they insist on a 500 Euro deposit when you hire a boat... and check them for scrapes when you return.   :naughty:  :naughty:  :naughty: 

• Like 1

A lot of the problem definitely does come from the damage waiver

A few weeks ago 4 sailing boats were attempting to get under Ludham Bridge and to be fair , the conditions were awful.

The first three struggled by after a few attempts, but as the last one passed our bows he got very close and his "why are you glowering down at me - I have not hit you yet" almost got him a boathook to eat!☺

He then shouted to the guy on the pole thingy " ignore the cruisers coming through the bridge , they have to give way to us" - showed his total lack of knowledge or ability but he was not at all interested in any damage caused

A 500 quid deposit would have changed that for sure ☺

• Like 1

the conditions were awful.

The first three struggled by after a few attempts, but as the last one passed our bows he got very close and his "why are you glowering down at me - I have not hit you yet" almost got him a boathook to eat!☺

He then shouted to the guy on the pole thingy " ignore the cruisers coming through the bridge , they have to give way to us" - showed his total lack of knowledge or ability but he was not at all interested in any damage caused

Have you ever tried handling a sailing boat in poor conditions in confined waters?

I note you says he didn't hit you .... so maybe his helmshipness should be applauded.

He also correctly informed his crew as to his intentions.

Of course I was not there so you may well be correct in your assertions however reading your account I see a different interpretation to yours.

• Like 1

Smellyloo , I freely admit zero knowledge of rags sheets and strings or anything else sailie, I do have a fair idea though of whats safely doable in a boat ,which at that point was propelled by one rather knackered guy with a pole☺

They were all over moored craft and some had 3 goes ,at reaching the bridge, to little avail, so perhaps discretion would have been wiser?

He did not hit me but as a group they were against many moored boats ,and had I not been there mine would have been one of these.

His helmsmanship was not in question ,simply because he was a passenger for much of the episode!

His intentions were fine if conditions were normal

But his assertion that cruisers coming through the bridge from the other side would have to give way was greatly flawed- the novice skipper coming the other way did not stop and yet more chaos ensued

Is an engine-less sailing boat being quonted ,actually sailing?

I personally would treat it as such and stop , regardless of what the rules say, but would a first time hirer - not all would as they struggled in the conditions themselves

Another member of this forum subsequently stopped and offered to tow another such sailing boat ,but said vessel could not manage to even secure a line and the attempt was abandoned so I would say on balance novice sailors should have moored until conditions improved☺

• Like 1