Best route to the Broads from Oxford?

Viking23

We will be in Oxford next Friday, ( rather than our home in Staffordshire) and will be travelling to the Broads.

We will be setting off at around 8:00 am from Oxford on a Friday morning, and I wonder which is the best route.

Looking at the map, it looks like...

Bicester

Milton Keynes

Bedford

Cambridge

then pick up our familiar route A14 then A11 etc.etc.

Is this the best route, are there any alternatives, we do not want to consider the M25 ?

Our speed on A roads is the what ever the limit is, if appropriate, and 60 mph on motorways to conserve fuel.

Do you anticipate any areas to look out for, I know there have been some new roads added around Bedford.

The journey time looks like around 3 1/2 hours.

I welcome your advice.

Best regards,

Richard

Oxford canal to the Thames, Thames to the sea, turn left along the coast to Ipswich, spend the night at Pinmill, excellent pub & restaurant, further along to Southwold, another excellent pub & eatery, not much further and turn left into Lowestoft. Through Lowestoft Harbour & Mutford Lock, sorted, lovely trip and no traffic jams!

• Like 8

Hi Richard

That is the route I would use, I used to travel to Wiltshire (from Cambridge) a bit some years ago and always went via Milton Keynes, M40 (a short distance) and then across to Swindon).

You will find that the A421 is dualed all the way from where it crosses the M1 to the A1 near St Neots (so you by-pass Bedford), after coming off the short section of A1 onto the A428 you have single carriageway to Caxton Gibbet and then dual carriageway onto the A14 and all the way to Norwich now.

Definitely avoid the M25 at all costs.

Check traffic reports for any accidents on the A14, there have been a spate of them on the Cambridge section over the last week or so, also there are average speed cameras on the Cambridge section both in the roadworks (these shouldn't hold you up but closures at night) and after them.

Edited by BryanW
  • Like 1

Thanks guys for all your replies, it looks like my suggested route is the way to go.

Mind you, Peter's (JM) route made me smile, and for a minute... I thought yes that will work, except for one minor thing....

The boat is in Norfolk already, and I was comparing alternative routes to improve on the 3 1/2 hours, not 3 1/2 days lol..

Mind you I will consider it for the return trip. lol.

Thank you all again.

Richard

I do this route most weeks and usually takes 2 hours from Bicester to the A47 at Norwich, then at least 30 mins to get through Norwich, I would avoid the A47 at Postwick due to road works head for the inner ring road and follow the signs for Wroxham if that's the area you need.

Doug.

Someone mentioned you might get held up in Bedford, shouldn't go through Bedford as you go Bicester, Tingewick, A421 part of which is the southern bypass of Bedford, BryanWs route is correct . I've used this route and watched it develop over the last 40years. You've saved a couple of hours since then!

No need to go through Bedfors as said previously. Milton Keynes,Cambridge, Norwich A421, A1, A428, A14, A11. Quicker than motorway route. I have done it many many many times :yawn::):Sailing

I do this route most weeks and usually takes 2 hours from Bicester to the A47 at Norwich, then at least 30 mins to get through Norwich, I would avoid the A47 at Postwick due to road works head for the inner ring road and follow the signs for Wroxham if that's the area you need.

Doug.

Doug, Hi

We've been coming to Brundall the last few Sats and the A47 at Postwick hasn't been too bad.

Richard, Hi.

I definitely wouldn't go through Norwich on a Saturday!

Take the A47, then just past the Postwick roadworks turn left to Gt Plumstead. About 150yds past the church in Gt Plumstead turn right to Little Plumstead. Then straight over the x-roads at the Brick & Kilns and on through Salhouse (you'll just miss The Bell) and on to Wroxham, Stalham or wherever!

It's a nice peaceful drive (until Wroxham) and both pubs were worth a visit when we last went that way!  cheersbar

Hi Richard ,we do Bedford from our sons often and this last year has seen great improvements doing Norwich in two hours,The other Sunday evening did the above without the wheels stopping ,in my view now the best cross country entry into Norfolk and Norwich.! Now the stretch to North Walsham is another matter.!