Hello (finally)

Villan

After a couple of years lurking on here, I'd better introduce myself!

I had a string of Broads holidays with my parents in the late 80's and early 90's and fell in love with the place and the slow pace of boating. After a few years away whilst in education, I returned in 2001 with my soon-to-be wife and we had a perfect week of 20 degree plus sunny weather. To my subsequent regret, I then decided that this could not be improved upon and that there were plenty more places in the world to see. I then got on with my life, got married, had kids and gradually forgot about the Broads and boating.

This changed on a visit to my parents in early 2013, when I brought their post in and found a Richardson's catalogue amongst the pile. Having opened it up I found that I could not put it down and then spent weeks  trawling the internet to update myself on all matters Broadland. This forum and Robin's blogs were responsible for me getting the bug again and making me desperate to return and introduce my kids to the delights of the Broads. For my 40th, my wife arranged for us to stay in Norfolk and a trip on a day boat confirmed that the kids were as keen on the place as I was.

Following this, we decided to book for this year and our holiday is now just over 5 weeks away. We were a little concerned at how we would deal with mooring a cruiser and checking on our youngest (who is 6) simultaneously, but a conversation with my parents revealed they were keen to return as well. The net result is that they will be joining us as we depart Herbert Woods quay aboard Magical Light on 15th August. To say that I'm looking forward to it is an understatement.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed tips for itineraries, moorings etc over the last few years. You did not know it at the time, but I have been taking notes to help plan our forthcoming trip. I intend to write about it in the "Holiday Tales" section on our return to allow me to (hopefully) give something back. I hope to see some of you about in a few weeks time (it feels so good to be saying that)!

Kind Regards,

Andy.

• Like 10

Hello Andy and welcome to the forum.

I'm glad you decided to return and am sure you won't be disappointed.

I too after being a regular visitor in the 80’s & 90‘s had a lengthy break but as soon as I took the helm again it all came flooding back an now we can't keep away.

Hope you have a great time and will look forward to your blog

• Like 1

Hello Andy,

Thank you for sticking around and visiting the forum from time to time.

Wishing you and your family a warm welcome to the friendly NBN forum from Tan & myself.

Here is a link to the Herbert Woods website so forum members to see the boat Andy is hiring:-

http://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/boating-holidays/our-boats/magical-light.html

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Hi Andy and welcome to the NBN friendly Forum :wave  I hope when lurking you were able to understand some of the gibberish we type, much ...well 99% of it is all in fun. :naughty:

I hope you and your family have a great holiday in August and that the weather is kind to you .

cheers Iain

• Like 1

Hi Andy and welcome too from a relative newbie.

Tell you what, i ain't half jealous of you lot who's parents dragged you out on boating holidays (including the OH)! It must have been amazing as a kid.. (we just got years on end of Blakney Marshes and Wells-Next-the -Sea beaches.. (NOT knocking it though!)

See Robin? I recon you must be responsible for at least some of the congestion oop north!

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Many Thanks to all for the warm welcome. Glad to be a proper part of the forum after so long in the shadows!

Jean- we had to rearrange the date of our trip a few months back owing to my brother deciding to get married on the weekend we were first due to pick up Magical Light (how inconsiderate of him)! HW could not have been more helpful in moving our booking to another available week, so they are off to a good start.

• Like 5

Always good to hear about companies prepared to be flexible and help their customers out. There are so many small print terms and conditions on booking forms not to mention admin charges for making any kind of alteration. Well done to HW for helping you out. As you say, it gives you a good impression before you even start.

Hi Andy, sorry it`s late, but welcome from me too.

We hope you have a really enjoyable time. I`m sure you already know what you are going to do, having carried out your covert operation regarding advice on where to go, and what to do?. Whatever, and wherever that is, take it nice and easy.

My own personal tip,  If your boat goes under the bridges at high tide, go to Dilham with a fishing rod tackled up.

• Like 1