Really good news, Berney Arms is open!

JennyMorgan

Objected.. 14 now..Not quite sure having a Kent address will really help that much together with Mr Hamilton of up north too!!

I think we need a new post as this ones a bit hidden in this thread.. "Save Berney Arms" would grab the attention!!

• Like 1

Has anyone done Berney Arms by train? I fancy walking along the footpath to the pub from either Yarmouth of Reedham and then catching the train back. I know it's a request stop but have read elsewhere about trains sometimes not bothering to stop. Is it only at certain times of day? And do we have to jump up and down Railway Children style to catch the drivers attention? :naughty:

Carol

• Like 2

Hi Carol

Good idea. The trains only run in daylight hours understandably. I think there are only about 2 or 3 per day in the week but more on Sunday which would be the day to go I think.

I think the bit about trains not stopping is a bit of folklore possibly. they always slow down to see if anyone wants picking up, as I've watched trains pass there. I think when leaving Norwich, just tell the conductor on the train that you need to stop at the Berney. I have heard them announce this when leaving Norwich on the trains that go that way.

Let us know how you get on, never know you might get a Trawlerboys or three :-):-):-)

• Like 1

Forgot to add, the track to and from the station is not too distinctive but basically its best to head towards the mill when walking from the train. In the reverse direction you can head for the white gate which is the station entrance, again roughly from the mill.

I might have some photos somewhere, I'll try to dig them out.

Just to let everyone know that it is The Yare Sailing Clubs Breydon Regatta this weekend 15th & 16th. Moorings will be very busy and lots of yachts racing on Breydon and the Yare between Breydon & Reedham.The Berney will be doing the catering for competitors & followers

Boycee:saily:

• Like 3

The trains along the Berney line run about every hour during daylight hours. The Berney station is a request stop and the trains always slow down to a crawl when approaching the station so that the driver can see who is waiting on the platform. Many walkers arrive by train and then walk back to Yarmouth along the  footpath by the side of Breydon water. Dave R

As Dave says the trains stop on request. There are basically two trains per day Mon-Sat and five on Sunday.

Heading to Yarmouth

Mon-Sat 08:01 12:03 Sun 08:01 10:03 12:03 14:01 16:03

Heading to Norwich

Mon-Fri 15:24 17:54 Sat 15:19 17:54 Sun 08:24 10:24 12:24 14:24 16:24

• Like 4