Really good news, Berney Arms is open!

JennyMorgan

But how long will it be open?

Here's another thing I'm going to ask you lot to do. The Berney Arms is open at the moment but there is a Planning Application in to the Broads Authority to change it to a dwelling. This would mean the loss of another pub on the Broads. Have a look at this Planning Application and if you feel able to write to the Broads Authority objecting to it, please do. http://planning.broads-authority.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NOW1V5TBFKK00  
  • Like 1

Well spotted Peter. It would not surprise me, as sadly is all too often the case, that the pub is run down in an effort to claim it is unviable.

I also believe that the freeholder was trying to do the same with the Beauchamp a while back. I would also urge folks to object.

Drink Waxwing from Green Jack Brewery, food till 9 everyday. Come and use it! Opened today!

Good luck, see you during the summer. 

Good 

excuse to come South, free moorings!

Great News, Peter!

We often used to spend a couple of hours in the bar..."Waiting for the Tide"!    cheersbar 

Called in yesterday whilst waiting for the tide and tried both the Trawlerboys and the Waxwing both excellent.Update on the licencee is that Tim took out the origonal licen e so they could open soonest and the lady running the pub,Tracey,will become the new licencee when she gets her licence next week. She will be the manager for the two guys who have taken over the licence of The Beauchamp Arms and both pubs will be supplied by Greenjack Brewery.Obviously as to how long the pub remains open depends on the outcome of the planning application-fingers crossed it is rejected

Boycee

• Like 3

Thanks for the update Alan. Green Jack involvement sounds good news indeed. It does sound however that rhe freeholder still retains ownership of both premises and here lies the rub I suspect.However fingers crossed for both. I will certainly object if I can.

This is an opportunity to sound as thick as I really am!

Register to what?

What is it exactly I am objecting too? (ref numbers that sort of thing)

I don't live in that area, Am I entitled to object?

Can you think of anything else a stupid ass like me needs to know?

This is an opportunity to sound as thick as I really am!

Register to what?

What is it exactly I am objecting too? (ref numbers that sort of thing)

I don't live in that area, Am I entitled to object?

Can you think of anything else a stupid ass like me needs to know?

The ale is excellent, well worth fighting for, even by a very nice foreigner!

• Like 2

The freeholders submission makes interesting reading. As expected it claims the business is not viable including some strange assertions including most hire craft are too large to pass Great Yarmouth! Reality is that thre asking price is unrealistic and that previous tenants have been charged such high rents that they had little prospect of making it pay. At one point the rent being charged was twice that of the Locks. Good objection responses already including one from my colleagues from Norwich CAMRA and I suspect a certain forum member :-)

• Like 2

Living on the south coast, will they take any objection i make seriously?. 

We`ve never been in the Berney arms, and i`ve only ever stopped there once, and that was in October 77 when we floated over the bank in the early hours. Never been there since, partly due to the fact that there`s nothing apart from the pump there, and i don`t drink anyway, so we`ve never bothered to stop there.

I know a lot of forumites have enjoyed the hospitality of the place, but as i said, will they take an objection from someone who lives 250 miles away seriously, or will they just say it`s not really any concern of mine?.

My objection to the application duly posted. Took a bimble down from Hardley Dyke today and had a pleasant meal and a couple of drinks down there.

Moored in Reedham to take on water. There were 16 mooring posts between us and the next boat. Why did P1 the river inspector moor up in the middle and not close to either us or the boat in front?!!!! 

I guess it wasn't thoughtlessness, rather Operational Reasons!!!!!!!!! :clap

Pity a hire boat seeking to moor gave him a little nudge as he came in!!!!

Some very good objections have been added. One in particular has hit the nail squarely on the head in a most succinct manner

The freeholder claims it cannot be a viable business. He is the one that sets the rent and thereby directly affects the viability of the business.

That is the crux of the problem IMHO

• Like 1

But how long will it be open?

Here's another thing I'm going to ask you lot to do. The Berney Arms is open at the moment but there is a Planning Application in to the Broads Authority to change it to a dwelling. This would mean the loss of another pub on the Broads. Have a look at this Planning Application and if you feel able to write to the Broads Authority objecting to it, please do. http://planning.broads-authority.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NOW1V5TBFKK00  

I looked on the BAx website and it says you have to be registered and log in to object. I`ve looked all over it and can`t find a registration page. Am i missing something?.

Another superb comment, an extract of which puts it better than I could ever hope to:

Many Broads pubs can and do survive largely on trade during the summer season, provided that the premises costs, capital or rental, are reasonable. There is good reason to suppose that the capital value and tenancy rental attached to the premises by the current owner are higher than can be justified by the likely trade and do not fully reflect the access problems. Unrealistic premises costs should not be a reason for claiming the pub to be unviable and so justify its conversion to a dwelling house.

Excellent comment IMHO

• Like 1

Bit in the EDP today.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/could_norfolk_s_most_remote_broads_pub_the_berney_arms_become_a_house_1_4179738

Looks pretty much a 'desktop' write up lifted from the BA website.

I suppose an article like this couldn't really highlight the real problem which is a shame. Still at least it has given some publicity which hopefully may encourage more objections.

• Like 1