windows 10 or not to windows 10

jillR

I powered the pc up again tonight and it went back to 7, One think I kept wanting to check was Bios upgrade because the Brix needs to know if your booting in win7 or 8. So with 10 a upgrade from 8 I thought the bios needs switching. quick search and report that a new version was released yesterday so when I get time.

My update to 10 took 2 hours, and that's on a quad core machine of reasonable speed. at one point it said " not long to go now" then a few minutes late it said " this is taking longer than expected"

A SSD or hybrid SSD is definitely  on the cards when I have the time.

• 3 months later...

Last week there was a fairly big "November update", known as 1511 (Year+Month), it is an "improved" second release of Windows 10.  You may not see many obvious changes, but there are a lot of detailed improvements and revisions.

In addition to that there are frequent updates for bug fixes or (as Iain said) security updates.  What are you seeing?  Do you have a problem?

Well it is supposed to have completed this update at 3.30 this morning.     I fail to see how it can do it when the laptop is switched off or is that what happens.    Everything seems as normal this morning and I will have a look see to see if the update has been done.

I could do with the One Drive being able to be used with the cable from my camera rather than having to keep taking out the memory disc each time.   It worked to start with and then nowt.     I will have a look see.

No it did not do it as saying the same thing.   So when I go out and it can get on with it for 3 hrs (that is how long it took hubby to do his)  I will have a go.    It definitely says Windows 10 Version 1511 10586.

I too have been pleased that I changed to W10, and had no problems with the update either.

I have however spoken to a number of people who have been vociferous in their condemnation of it.  On probing deeper NONE have apparently seen it or used it - or used ANY Microsoft product for a goo number of years, being themselves confirmed 'Apple' users !

12 minutes ago, Poppy said:

I too have been pleased that I changed to W10, and had no problems with the update either.

I have however spoken to a number of people who have been vociferous in their condemnation of it.  On probing deeper NONE have apparently seen it or used it - or used ANY Microsoft product for a goo number of years, being themselves confirmed 'Apple' users !

It's all part of life's rich tapestry, Windows mainstream, Linux Geeks, and Apple Snobs..... :rolleyes:

I use all three, for testing purposes, so I can appreciate their advantages though.

I'd never trust my primary computers to running Bill Gate's latest incarnation till it's been out for a year though, (yes OK, I realise that does mean I'm always one OS behind then.. :))

I've setup a couple of W10 machines and it does look OK, moving more back towards W7 from W8.

W8 was quite a shock initially, I couldn't find things under the bonnet, but then 8.1 fixed that, (it merited being called W9 really).

My main notebook has been running on W8.1 for about 6 months now, and I'm really pleased with it, no downside from W7 and with many new pluses.

If I only had one PC though, I'd never trust an online upgrade of an entire operating system. It would be like having the chassis and engine changed in you car during a lunchbreak.

I have two notebooks, both for business use; the new one I  bought because the other was slow and wasting my time. 8.1 followed by 10 on the new one is useless for mail. It's app doesn't allow for email sorting and storage, vital for me. Outlook wasn't on the Office version I paid for, (why not?) so i have the new machine under the desk doing nothing and am still on the old one running Windows 7. Money wasted. Eventually, I suppose I will have to fork out for Outlook.

Hylander,

Windows 10 Version 1511 10586.3 is the latest updated release, so it seems you have it!  As I mentioned previously, the changes for the 1511 updates are not particularly obvious, one change is the "helpful" suggestions below the "most used" section of the start menu .... I turned that off immediately!  Search the web for the other changes (and different opinions) but generally, more features and settings are available, and many things have been improved and/or speeded up.  There has been a flourish of updated applications in the last few days too, presumably these are bringing them in line with the underlying operating system.

I decided to get my camera out this afternoon and see if all of this so called 'updating' has improved the downloading from the camera to the laptop of my photos.   Took some odd ones just around the house and then tried to download.   Everything is just the same , no its not it is worse,  now I cannot even download popping the memory card from the camera into the laptop.  So I am bu..ered to put it mildy.

Thanks Windows 10.

Just to update you.   This morning on looking through the Apps menu under 'L' there is a Link to Nikon.   Tapped into that and up came a selection, the first one being camera control pro download which has 30 day free trial on it.  After tapping into that my photos downloaded as before Windows 10 and are now where they should be using the cable.   Now  if it says 30 day free trial does that mean that every Nikon camera owner will now have to pay to download their photos to Windows 10?

So far not had a problem with Windows 10 but prior to accepting the free upgrade I took a full image of the PC as it was prior to the upgrade.

This means that even after the 30 day roll back window that Microsoft allow I can still go back if I wish to.

Only thing that annoys me is the edge browser.

It works well and is fast but it will not work with my adblocking software and some sites are almost impossible to use because of the level of ads.

Small problem though and easily fixed by using Chrome or Firefox.

I have an old (2008) HP laptop running Vista and have been very happy with it, but am concerned that some time pretty soon, I will need to upgrade. Having upgraded my wife's laptop to W10 and then quickly rolled back to W8 because she couldn't get on with it, I have decided that I won't be going down that route. I have just "resurrected" an even older (2005) HP Pavilion laptop by replacing its XP operating system with Linux Mint, obtained via a free download. The Pavilion now does things very much quicker than it ever did under Windows and the user interface is intuitive and easy to use. Linux comes bundled with Libre Office and some other software and does all that I need it to do.  I realise that this route is probably not for everyone, but it is the way I will be going with my Vista machine. 

cheers

Steve