high and dry !

alexandlorna

We were at Oulton dyke the other day and the ranger was onboard talking to us, when two absolute idiots came racing each other past the moorings

The ranger got out and shouted at them to slow down - " And who are you then?" , was the reply 

Ranger says "Broads Authority ". And just at that the @rse at the helm sees the launch! 

He was still removing his foot from his gob as the Ranger launch took off in pursuit lol :)  :)  :)

• Like 3

I suspect it comes from a false sense of wellbeing as a result of pottering around in the "boating lake" safety of the northern rivers.

Breydon & the southern rivers must come as a bit of a shock to novices ..... I mean marked channels ...... surely there must be a margin for error!!

Still, very sad that this has happened as it will certainly impact on their holiday and I suspect will be a constant irritatation to the skipper as it is dredged up by their partner to illustrate what a turnip they are,

• Like 5

What is the point of all the information available, in The Skippers Manual, BA Web Site,

The Broadcaster, Broads Forums, etc etc......

Answers please! OOPs forgot, know one appears to read all the information to avoid such accidents, cock-ups!

cheers Iain

• Like 2

I must admit guys.. we don't know the circumstances.. it may have been deliberate. it's probably not fair to class them as idoits.. they are just off the channel and would easily float off. As long as no one was injured and no money wasted on a recovery then lets ignore it..

Clive I hear that one was apparently a steering failure whilst on an engine trial! Certainly made a mess though .. I dread to imagine the salvage costs for that one!

cheers

you think that was high! (not sure if this has been on here yet but it is on FB..

I mustn't larf, someone could have been hurt, but another one bites the dust, or is it the mud?!

I well remember driving a big racing job out of Chichester Harbour & heading off to the Isle of Wight. I just jammed the bank of throttles forward and hung on very tight! Reaching the Island in not many minutes, to the congratulations from the boat's designer, I conveniently choose not to mention the fact that I hadn't dared let go of the steering wheel in order to throttle back! After that I do have some sympathy with the owner of the boat in Clive's picture, even if I didn't carry on up Bembridge beach!. 

• Like 3

Clive, any idea how long ago that one was? It does look like the anchor is down as well.

I can see the next competition now is to see who can get the highest up the bank!! :bow  :bow  :bow

OK, never cocked up on Breydon (yet), but nearly came unstuck on Rockland Broad. Thought the tide was a bit higher than it was and I could cut it a little short by the yellow buoy (and I wasn't that far off it). The boat noticeably slowed down as I ploughed up the bottom and created a rather large brown mud slick (well I hope it was mud). A few extra revs and we made it back into the channel - wont do that again.

Has anyone taken a dinghy further up river at Gelderstone past the point normal boast cant go? It's fine in the river, but I was fishing on my own in a hell of a gale and decided to try the little inlet just past the bridge. Firmly stuck it what must have been 6 inches of water. Had to use the oars to push myself back off the mud, but by the time I could get them in the rowlocks the wind blew back aground. Took me about an hour to slowly punt out to a point I could get up against the bank with it deep enough to get the outboard down without being blown back in and pootle off - knackered to say the least. 

• Like 1

I wonder if part of the problem is down to the experienced broads boaters?

Gauntlet firmly thrown down!

Seriously though, how many of you have gone outside the channel markers on Barton broad, either to mud-weight  or access one of the creaks/dykes. Would this encourage a novice to think it's not as bad as it clearly is on Breydon.

• Like 1

Good theory is that, Martin. Another look back in time, this time when sailing a centre boarder into the River Alde. Being very shallow draft, and at the first opportunity, sailed in over the bar. Once in just happened to look behind us to see, with horror, that several keel boats that had probably been waiting for the tide, had tried to follow our example, possibly thinking that we knew what we were doing. I did feel a bit embarrassed, having set such a bad example!

• Like 1

I wonder if part of the problem is down to the experienced broads boaters?

Gauntlet firmly thrown down!

Seriously though, how many of you have gone outside the channel markers on Barton broad, either to mud-weight or access one of the creaks/dykes. Would this encourage a novice to think it's not as bad as it clearly is on Breydon.

that's what I was going to say there's a lot of boats on the wrong side of the post's and thay think it is ok looks like loads of water and then oops (help )
  • Like 2