Expert on Chocolate needed

MauriceMynah

Yes it's true, I need to ask a chocolate expert a question or two. The heading wasn't just to get your attention.

My sister (Frances) is going into the University collage of London Hospital (I think that's what it's called UCLH) for Chemo and stem-cell replacement therapy. Close by is a 'Costa Coffee' where she had a cup of what she described as the best hot chocolate ever.  Now the questions...

Does anybody know what chocolate that is, and can I make it here for her when she comes out...

And, as I am determined to keep her chocolate levels up as high as she likes, What chocs do all you experts reckon to be the absolute best?

I like the stuff, but I'm really no expert!

I think JA is probably more of an expert than me, my area of expertise is wine and shoes but if I had to choose chocolate for eating it has to be a big box of Milk Tray every time. I absolutely without fail buy my other half some on his birthday although he's not that keen on them :naughty:

MM, please send your sister my heartfelt best wishes with her treatment and recovery, a :arms:and a :kiss from me

Grace

• Like 1

Yes, where is JA when you need him?

I prefer my chocolate in solid form, rather than the drinking stuff and would go for any good plain chocolate that is around 70% cocoa solids. I find that this satisfies the chocolate craving without making me want to eat it all day. Aldi do a good range, as do Green and Black. I am sure there are many others. It is just a case of trying a lot to see which you like best :)

cheers

Steve

Now here's a thread I feel able to comment on!!

Never been to a Costa though they are now doing drive throughs so its only a matter of time before there is a moor through available ;)

We favour Galaxy drinking chocolate around here. Its really nice and creamy and the squirty cream stays on top for ages if you make it thick enough:party:

For normal chocolate the range out there is huge and varied. I reckon we all have our personal favourites but the fun is in giving your taste buds a real work out and trying them all at least once to make sure you are making an informed choice.

Please wish Frances our best.

• Like 1

why not pop into a costa, sample the offerings and talk to the baristas and tell them why, generally they are a most helpful bunch and will do their best to accommodate, they may even be able to sell you some of 'the right stuff' and give you hints how to prepare it at home, failing that there is a good suchards chocolate for the tassimo.

The best drinking chocolate is made from real chocolate, rather then powders or potions. Hasslachers  is one of the best but it costs around a tenner for a pound bar. Thorntons do a passable alternative which is sold in bags. It is specifically made for drinking and contains no added sugar. Make it with steamed milk, if possible as it has a better texture. 

17 minutes ago, Paul said:

The best drinking chocolate is made from real chocolate, rather then powders or potions. Hasslachers  is one of the best but it costs around a tenner for a pound bar. Thorntons do a passable alternative which is sold in bags. It is specifically made for drinking and contains no added sugar. Make it with steamed milk, if possible as it has a better texture. 

Is this the one you mentioned Paul? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hasslachers-Solid-Colombian-Drinking-Chocolate/dp/B00BWP8HR0

xmas6Iain.

• Like 1

Interesting web site Iain. I would not advise applying direct heat to the chocolate. Place in a small saucepan and place hot water held in another container. May help to increase the surface area of the block of chocolate by shredding by using a cheese grated. Keep stirring, it will eventually start to melt without lumps. Then you can add sugar, icing sugar would be best, then cream and milk as required.  Then pour into another container, add more milk to reduce viscosity and heat and perhaps give it a bit of a wisk!

• Like 2