Tunis Cake

Hylander

I have decided to make one tomorrow,    I have most of the ingredients already.    If anyone is interested you can freeze the madeira sponge part until you want it, so that is what I am going to do.  Freeze it until Christmas Eve then prepare the topping which involves 400 g best plaint chocolate and 300 ml of double cream., when set I will put marzipan fruits in the centre on top.

Recipe

225g softened butter

225g caster sugar

225g self-raising flour

70g ground almonds

4 large eggs

finely grated zest of 1 large lemon

For the topping

300ml double cream

400g plain chocolate, broken into small pieces

200g natural marzipan

red food paste colouring

green food paste colouring

1  Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.  Grease and line a 20cm deep cake tin with baking parchment.

2  Measure the butter, sugar, flour, ground almonds, eggs and lemon zest into the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on high speed for 1 minute. Spoon into the prepared cake tin and level the surface with a palette knife or spatula.

3  Bake for 45 minutes, cover with foil to prevent the top from browning and cook for a further 15 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool completely in the tin on a wire rack.

Pour the cream into a small pan and bring almost to the boil. Remove from the heat, add the chocolate and stir until melted. When cool but not setting pour the chocolate mixture over the cooled cake and put aside to set.

5  To decorate, colour 175g of the marzipan with green food colouring to turn it the colour of holly leaves.  Using a holly leaf shaped cutter, cut out 20 holly leaves. Mark the veins with a knife and lay over a rolling pin and leave to dry. Colour the remaining marzipan with the red food colouring and roll into 30 ‘berry’ size balls.  Leave to dry.

6  To serve,  remove the cake from the tin and carefully peel off the parchment paper so that you get a clean line between the cake and the chocolate layer. Arrange the holly leaves and berries in a wreath around the edge of the cake.

I've  been to the local Waitrose this morning to discover that they are only available from Waitrose stores with a patisserie counter and quantities are limited. 

I've  seen the picture on line and it looks okay, but nothing like the McVities ones I used to enjoy years ago.  I have had the ones from Tesco and sadly they are a pale immitation.

I seem to remember seeing Mary Berry make one on TV before so I guess the recipe will be on line for those who have the inclination.

• Like 1

The recipe that I have copied across is Mary Berry's so it should be ok.      I will try anything once.

Has anyone tasted the McVities mince pies,  gosh they are gorgeous.   Really good pastry and packed full of mincemeat.

Such a change from some I have purchased.   They are on offer in Morrisons.    Morrisons made on the premises are not a patch on these.

"MM , where is your Christmas spirit?"    (I'll lend you the question mark for this quote :)  )

My Christmas spirit is in my Christmas booze cabinet. I need it for when I've eaten loads of Christmas chocolate and loads of Christmas cake. Not to mention Christmas pudding and Christmas log.

Am I the only one here who likes to wash down Chocolate with a (large) drop of Scotch?

/

• Like 2

Am I the only one here who likes to wash down Chocolate with a (large) drop of Scotch?

Fear Not MM , you are in good company here.      My old grandfather lived well beyond a 100 and he drank his whiskey every day.   Reckoned it kept all manner of ills at bay.    He survived the First World War and was a labourer on the roads, he didn't exactly have an easy life but he had his pint at pub and his Scotch.   Life was simple in those days.   No do gooders telling you every five minutes that what you are eating, drinking  etc was wrong.   I dont know about anyone else but I cannot and will not live on Yogurt and a lettuce leaf.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Sounds wonderful, a coronary in every slice! Still plenty of time in January and February to worry about cholesterol. Save a slice for me.

Well the way I see it, you have got to give your statins something to do.

cheers

Steve

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Irish stuff is whiskey. The Scottish stuff is whisky. Except to the Americans then both are whiskey . . but then they are Americans. The Chinese invented the stuff with monks taking the recipe to Ireland about 1,000 years ago, predating the Scottish industry by about 400 years. All this doesn't matter in the slightest . . . it all tastes good to me. Trying to work up the courage to try it with chocolate though. Just sampling a wee dram now to wish you all a Merry Christmas.

Roy

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

Well I think I went a bit overboard with the chocolate but this is my first effort.     Stirring and stirring the chocolate and cream took me ages.    Will let you know what it tastes like.

DSC_0004_(2).JPG

Hi Monica,

That's what I like to see, a little bit of cake with my chocolate.:naughty:

Janet would proud:naughty:

I did the usual crispy buns with white chocolate, Dairy Milk and few for Tan with Cointreau and stem ginger. Cheese scones and tarts done. Turkey crown and Beef thawing ready for tomorrows restart.  

Maybe its time for a drinkcheersbar

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Honest verdict.

If anyone is remotely interested -   I personally would not use ground almonds in the cake mix , it makes it very dry.   I would use a third of the chocolate, but I went with Mis Berry's recipe, far too much and makes it far too expensive as well.

We have had some slices of the cake with tea and coffee but I suddenly had a brain wave the other night and thought Rum Baba , do you recall those,    I soaked a couple of slices in Rum,   double cream (well if you are going to have a heart attack you may as make it worthwhile)  (said with tongue in cheek).  and we had it as a dessert.      

Would I make again - honestly no.

• Like 4