Where to leave waste on The Broads?

Boaters

Where should the rubbish from boats be put ,the facility at Wroxham must deal with a vast amount from boaters alone..we moor at South Walsham and  we have sen many bags left where people carry them along the path and just leave them,when they find no bins.There should be signs to tell before them when  leave their boats to keep it with them.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/waterside_rubbish_collections_on_broads_set_for_further_cutback_1_4372959

Edited by Hockham Admiral
Rename thread

• BroadScot locked and unlocked this topic

The problem is, Roy & Diane, that you can only keep so much waste on a boat. Even with just the two of us in our Alpha 35, we produce a small bag of waste every few days. We usually go off for up to a month at a time and there just isn't anywhere to hygienically store the bags.

In another thread on this topic there are many references to laws and types of waste which are interesting enough but don't solve our problem. To us it is a real worry about what we will do this coming season and the two facilities at Irstead and Neatishead are so close that we usually visit both within a couple of days. I hope it just isn't the final straw for us..... seriously.

• Like 2

I agree about the final straw,   depending on how we fare in June for our fortnight will determine whether or not we ever rebook a Broads hire boat.   I can honestly say that there will be a lot of people with the same thoughts.

However, all is not lost and it is up to us the boating and holidaying public to complain.    Complain to the top wherever possible.

Just out of curiosity , does anyone have a list of the disposal sites that do exist? 

• Like 1

Monica, Hi.

My concern is that there will be little or no facilities left for us and others to use. Reports may well show what was happening and Roy & Diane's EDP article shows what is happening; however neither helps out as to just what will we be able to do.

As I can't and don't condone any type of fly tipping then I am left with few options but to consider our Broads future.

• Like 5

Yes I am sorry to have to agree with you John and Mary-Jane.      I should imagine the Yards will be getting nervous of this publicity as it certainly will stop people from booking a boat.      

Our June holiday we will be lucky enough to have a second cabin at the front of the boat which we had earmarked for storage of coats ,odds and sods like you do , but it looks as if it will the Refuse Department.   As I say I will buy tough garden sacks and place the black sack inside and tie up tight.  It will be June and I should imagine we will smell like the bin men's truck does.  Mind you we wont be alone.    Of course like yourselves we would never fly tip but there will be those after a few bevvies that will do just that.    I just hope the Yards are prepared on turnover day to receive all this mountain of rubbish.   I will also take plenty of Air Freshener.   So pleased we will be up one end and the Refuse Department down the other.

As has been said before , what happens to folk who come by train.

Whoever is to blame for all of this nonsense needs horse whipping quite frankly.

Where there are bins I can envisage queues of boats waiting to dump their rubbish.     Rubbish then will be piled high, I hope the local council realise that it will be a daily task to get rid of it all.

Monica

Being on hire craft you will I think be able to dispose of rubbish at hire yards so should not need to keep waste to long.

From your report on the Southern rivers waste sites are avaliable at Bramerton,Somerleyton and Aldeby 

It would be good to set up a list on here for all NBN folk to use.

Ray

• Like 1

Good idea John to rename thread ,as I did not see the other post,part " Senior Moment " as has been said  the withdrawal of facilities and the difficult mooring at places like Horning and Ranworth to off load will have an effect on many like us as well the increasing loss of more of our favourite moorings and walks,making us wonder if it is worthwhile continuing as many of our boating friends have now sold their boats due to this trend.

• Like 2

There is more information contained in the Broads Authority Navigation Committee minutes for the meeting held on 10 December, available on the BA website. Agenda item 11 - Review of Waste Facilities. I am currently unable to copy these to these pages, perhaps someone could help out?

14 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Monica, Hi.

My concern is that there will be little or no facilities left for us and others to use. Reports may well show what was happening and Roy & Diane's EDP article shows what is happening; however neither helps out as to just what will we be able to do.

As I can't and don't condone any type of fly tipping then I am left with few options but to consider our Broads future.

I think this year will be make or break for us as well. Sadly, I don't think anything will be done about this stupidity before we have black bags of rubbish floating down the Bure, by which time the waste facilities will have gone and it will be too expensive to reinstate them.  Horse whipping is too good for the people who thought this one up.

two guns

Steve

• Like 3

As we will be hirers this year I was reassured by someone saying that we will be able to drop into various yards around the system to get rid of the rubbish.     If we had still had our own boat then we would have had to take it back to the Marina for disposal.   

What is needed is for one of the big nebbies to own a boat and of course this would be sorted out immediately.  A bit like problems at work,  if it affected the bosses then by gum something was done about it.

• Like 4

Take your rubbish to NNDC's office at Cromer or GYBC in Great Yarmouth. 

Make your feelings known. In fact, if enough boaters got together and did this, it would certainly make the headlines and headlines and pressure is when is needed with these short-sighted councils. 

This a serious comment. Why not get together and protest en masse?

• Like 10

What an excellent idea of Andy's, they create problems with poor decision making but why should they worry, it's not on their doorsteps and doesn't upset their lives too much, Andy's suggestion would put it right outside their doors, so to speak, perhaps they would take more notice of the general public then. To have Boaters seriously consider their future on the Broads is tragic, no Boaters spending money in shops and pubs, even more tragic in the end

I totally agree with peaceful demonstration, the more us every day folk pulled together as a united front, perhaps then they would take notice, if I can get out on the Broads this year I will make a special trip and do exactly as Andy suggests two guns

Grace

• Like 3

On 10/01/2016 at 8:29 AM, Hockham Admiral said:

Monica, Hi.

Roy & Diane aren't the only ones, Grace..............

I really do not understand why anyone would seriously consider leaving the Broads just because waste disposal is becoming more of a problem than it was previously. No doubt that the situation will hit private boaters hardest because hire yards will be under no obligation to accept their rubbish.

I have this argument with fishermen, if you can take packaged food to the river bank then you can take the empty boxes home with you.

Those with babies and therefore soiled, disposable nappies might have a problem but rather than black bin liners try using builders rubble sacks to store rubbish, far more durable and less likely to split. I am not suggesting that anyone takes a wheelie bin along with them but where there is a will there is a way. Eating in pubs is one way of reducing your waste!

In the meantime I do hope that the various authorities can sit down around the table and resolve the problem, at least in part, but equally it is down to all of us to modify our ways. So we can no longer take waste disposal for granted, well, don't create so much rubbish and compact what you do. In a nutshell we don't have any other option!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I really do not understand why anyone would seriously consider leaving the Broads just because waste disposal is becoming more of a problem than it was previously. No doubt that the situation will hit private boaters hardest because hire yards will be under no obligation to accept their rubbish.

I have this argument with fishermen, if you can take packaged food to the river bank then you can take the empty boxes home with you.

You are missing my point, Peter... you try going oop North for a month in April/May and see how it affects you.

• Like 4