Where to leave waste on The Broads?

Boaters

I too have just received this same reply, word for word!

I'll go with Poppy on this and say that we all should NOT

collect discarded rubbish even though our instincts tell us to do it!

It's an absolute disgrace in my opinion two guns

And just to add that Iv'e still not received a reply from Alan Lamb!

• Like 3

I emailed them too, as I was concerned that my hard earnt money used to pay unfairly increased tolls, would be wasted in a clear up campaign, that could have been avoided, had they kept decent waste disposal sites.

I got a reply from Angie Leeper at the  BA which was a basic " Wait and see" for the 2016 season.

I will photograph all fly tipped waste, with date time and location to the BA. I will also include bins that are over flowing, and any waste alongside such bins, anything to help the BA of course.

I will report boats that I see disposing of waste around the broads in difficult to reach locations, but not sure about people leaving waste in places where there were bins, after all they were doing their best, if they take it back to their boat, there is a chance it will either blow off the stern, maybe into into the reeds, or get wrapped around a prop, spillings it's non eco friendly contents into the broads.

Beware you don't accidentally leave incriminating evidence, like a receipt, in with your rubbish, as someone might pull yours out of the litter bin, and replace it with theirs, then you will be tracked down as a fly tipper.

So if we all report fly tipped rubbish, even a bottle , plastic bag, or dog poo in a bag, rather than collect it, the BA need to be made aware.

50 phone calls, texts and emails to the BA will quickly fill their inbox.

Maybe, we need a thread on here to report all flytipping to make sure we don't report the same waste twice, as that would waste a lot of BA's time.

We do need to make the BA aware, so they can make an informed decision at the end of 2016.... maybe before. 

• Like 5

Slightly off subject 

Jenny Morgan .just mentioned abuse of the broads bins .

I have just been out with the dog ,a car has pulled up , he has jumped out with a bag of rubbish and place in in the roadside bin. Then carried on his journey.

My brain is now working overtime it got to be easier to take it home. 

So why ? 

Is he on a diet and hiding it from his misses ?

prehaps his bins are full ? 

is he criminal  hiding the evidence ?

whats your thoughts ? 

Karlos 

5 minutes ago, Seriously said:

Slightly off subject 

Jenny Morgan .just mentioned abuse of the broads bins .

I have just been out with the dog ,a car has pulled up , he has jumped out with a bag of rubbish and place in in the roadside bin. Then carried on his journey.

My brain is now working overtime it got to be easier to take it home. 

So why ? 

Is he on a diet and hiding it from his misses ?

prehaps his bins are full ? 

is he criminal  hiding the evidence ?

whats your thoughts ? 

Karlos 

May be just had a McDonalds, or maybe the kids have, however, having two grand children, it could well be a dirty nappy.

It could be a bag of vomit, either way, I wouldn't want to check it, and best out of the car than in it lol...

• Like 1

TrevorAndDeidre I travel through potter heigham every morning at 7am and in the summer the bins opposite the chip shop are always overflowing and binbags on the floor .The seagulls/rodents have destroyed whats left and the place looks like the local landfill site but I don't expect anyone from the council to be around that time of the morning to witness it so I think they will be receiving quite a few e-mails containing photos.

• Like 4

Following on from what marshman has said, maybe we could organise some sort of 'pro-forma' we can follow? ie the appropriate email addresses. Not being local, I would not know which council to contact depending upon where on the rivers I am. (Or should it be the County Council each time?) I think it would be helpful.

• Like 2

If the "Norfolk Waste Partnership" hadn't gone the extra mile to create difficulty when disposing of waste, I am sure there would be much less of the "abuse" of waste disposal facilities that they currently cite as part of the justification for removing bins.

I have just looked at NNDC's web page on this subject and can't believe that NNDC and my own local council are working to meet the same regulations. Limitations on the disposal of DIY waste, banning of disposal of paint except on special "amnesty" days and spot checks on people disposing of waste at official recycling centres all seem to me to be symptomatic of a particular mindset prevalent in Norfolk waste disposal circles.

I know that someone on here will trot out the argument that Norfolk is a "poor" county, but I suspect that the poverty is mental in this instance.

two guns

Steve

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Having received a response from the BA following my email to them concerning waste disposal, I thought some of you may be interested in a piece of information included in the reply.

This comes from a document providing 'Background information regarding the waste situation throughout the Broads area' and states:

'where the boat is used for self-catering accommodation, waste is now classified as commercial rather than before when it was classified as household waste. The local authorities also confirm that waste from other vessels which do not come under this definition, although not specifically stated in the regulations, will be treated by them as commercial waste.

So it seems now that private boats will have more difficulty in disposing of waste as I'm not sure hire boat yards will welcome the extra refuse!

Not the BA saying this imtamping2, it is the local authorities which I read as being the district councils. I will try and copy the document on here in full for clarification.

There is a bin at Potter of which the lid has been secured so it does not open fully, presumably to stop boaters from filling it with their rubbish. I suppose now if we use that bin with rubbish from our boats, we could be charged with fly-tipping as we will be depositing commercial waste! As Polly says, ridiculous.

• Like 1

I have found and read the document....thanks.

Well all I can say is when the Broads turns into a cesspit of waste and people have stopped hiring and private boaters have gone elsewhere, where there contributions to the local economy is appreciated .the local authority will no longer have a waste problem.........................seems about there way of thinking....please spare us from inept councilors .

• Like 1

Karl's ,regarding the post of a car dropping off rubbish at B A   Bins,we have kept our waste on the boat ,but on occasions have popped out in the car to the local shop  and taken our bag to the  B A  compound  marked  "for boat refuse only " As i had paid a toll I feel I am entitled to use that facility as I was not going home and was continuing my time on the boat.Am I now going to be reported as in my eyes I am within the details of that notice ???

Hi John, you can take mine while your at it, (It should reach :shocked )     I like your way of thinking - I'll be doing exactly the same, Just because councils decide to classify private waste from boats as 'Commercial' does in no way give them a blanket remit for the rest of us to agree with them! :norty:

Griff

• Like 7

Just got from a quick visit tot he boat today. Nothing to report re the broads but did notice that a lot of laybys in each direction have now just a wheely bin for rubbish. Every one we past had rubbish all over the place and it did not look very good at all. I wonder if this is what is going to happen around the broads now as well, which i am sure will put a lot of people off returning if it looks the same as a tip.

• Like 1