Where to leave waste on The Broads?

Boaters

Those of you who live long term on a boat, such as your good selves, John,  might well have a problem, we will have to wait and see. I rather suspect that private owners will have to get used to paying for rubbish disposal, just as they do toilet pump-outs. When I had the WRC we factored rubbish disposal into the mooring fee and I suspect others do too.  Hopefully businesses will offer 'free rubbish disposal' to customers. In the meantime we all need to adjust our ways.

I agree that we should make changes, look at the carrier bag thing, we live opposite two lakes, the amount of plastic bags you would see in the lakes or stuck blowing in the trees was practically on a daily basis but not anymore.

We have had so many cuts where I live lately that affects every day people, we may have a fight on our hands to keep our local library open, an absolute god send for old and young alike.

What I and I'm sure many others would like to see is the fat cats expenses for overseas trips to twin our towns (or whatever you call it) and the like rather than the cuts which can have a huge impact on peoples lives, highly unlikely

Yes, a decision to leave the Broads a bit drastic but if people feel that stongely, then who can blame them, I certainly wouldn't, it makes me so cross when people Like John and Mary-Jane who, have been using the Broads and facilities (especially the pubs, eh, John?) for years and pay good money for the privaledge feel they may have to come to that conclusion, I really hope not

Grace

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Those of you who live long term on a boat, such as your good selves, John,  might well have a problem, we will have to wait and see. 

In the meantime we all need to adjust our ways.

I really think we "might have a problem", Peter...

Just how can we "adjust our ways", please?

Grace, you can put a ring around that statement.... In red, white and blue, if you wish!

What I and I'm sure many others would like to see is the fat cats expenses for overseas trips to twin our towns (or whatever you call it) and the like rather than the cuts which can have a huge impact on peoples lives, highly unlikely

• Like 3

John, we will have to adjust our ways, and not just afloat.

The problem isn't so much the lack of disposal facilities for our rubbish but rather the creation of it, that is where I'm convinced that we have to change our ways. 

Take-away pizzas create an obscene amount of waste, solution, don't buy them!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dajen said:

On the other matter of people leaving the Boads, it is not just the rubbish that is an issue but the loss of other facilities and moorings, as I've said before, many people may be happy to moor out in the wilds with no facilities but the majority of hirers don't, they want to moor near services, shops pubs and restaurants.

Dave

That is another problem, Dave.... just where can you moor in the Summer oop North?

We just won't go there in the school hols and even from Easter onward it is getting difficult to find a boozer friendly mooring at times. Horning and Wroxham come particularly to mind, especially at weekends.   :cry

• Like 1

What strikes me as being so pathetic in all of this, are the savings that are to be had by removing the services - £17,000 odd is peanuts for a service that is essential. 

The major boatyards have for many years independent contracts with waste collection services for the collection of rubbish their customers and their business create – of course as part of this you will have visiting boaters dispose of some waste but I am sure they have been able to ‘absorb’ this and keep to a regular collection schedule of their large skip type bins.

Now, these locations are going to be ‘over run’ because you will have hirers returning with more waste and visitors thinking ‘We can dump our rubbish here’ so what does the boatyard do? Leave things as they are and know the skips will become overflowing with rubbish or be forced to arrange extra collections at their expense. 

The real problem comes that it only takes one person to moor at a 24hr Broads Authority mooring and leave a black bag there for someone else to and another and then it begins to normalise things – with some perhaps thinking they are official moorings so maybe the Broads Authority collects the rubbish from here.  And the problem radiates from there.

Of course, there is another issue – one the authorities are hoping will happen, which is we don’t find moorings with dumped rubbish bags.  If such were to happen it would almost make it the right decision to have removed rubbish bins, where this rubbish might actually end up – boatyards, by roadside bins etc would not really matter because it would not be a blot of the river bank.

• Like 7

We moor in a small private basin in Horning, where there are no waste disposal facilities whatsoever. Even the owner of the place doesn't have a bin, so the boating waste bins in Horning were a lifeline. I am not prepared to drive home 170-odd miles with a stinking sack of 1-2 week old refuse in the back of my car, even assuming that there was space for it. Nor am I prepared to spend my time on the water worrying about rubbish disposal. As well as waste disposal facilities, Horning used to have recycling bins for bottles and newspapers, which would have made things easier. These were also dispensed with a couple of years ago - no doubt as a "cost-saving" by the same brainless weasels that are behind the present debacle.

Frankly, it's not just the rubbish, it is the pervasive "war" against private boaters, the removal of public (Perci's island, Woodbastwick Staithe )and wild moorings (pick where you like) and the denial/destruction of good fishing spots such as those around Hoveton Great Broad and Wroxham Broad that annoys me. I am left with the feeling that the only thing anyone wants from us is our tolls and the money we spend in the often overcrowded and mediocre pubs. Owning a boat on the broads is a big investment and up to now I have had big returns in terms of pleasure and relaxation, but I sense that the wind is now blowing against us.  I will give it one more season, but if things don't change for the better, I may as well go and spend my leisure where I feel wanted.

Regards

Steve

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, SteveO said:

We moor in a small private basin in Horning, where there are no waste disposal facilities whatsoever. Even the owner of the place doesn't have a bin, so the boating waste bins in Horning were a lifeline. I am not prepared to drive home 170-odd miles with a stinking sack of 1-2 week old refuse in the back of my car, even assuming that there was space for it. Nor am I prepared to spend my time on the water worrying about rubbish disposal. As well as waste disposal facilities, Horning used to have recycling bins for bottles and newspapers, which would have made things easier. These were also dispensed with a couple of years ago - no doubt as a "cost-saving" by the same brainless weasels that are behind the present debacle.

Frankly, it's not just the rubbish, it is the pervasive "war" against private boaters, the removal of public (Perci's island, Woodbastwick Staithe )and wild moorings (pick where you like) and the denial/destruction of good fishing spots such as those around Hoveton Great Broad and Wroxham Broad that annoys me. I am left with the feeling that the only thing anyone wants from us is our tolls and the money we spend in the often overcrowded and mediocre pubs. Owning a boat on the broads is a big investment and up to now I have had big returns in terms of pleasure and relaxation, but I sense that the wind is now blowing against us.  I will give it one more season, but if things don't change for the better, I may as well go and spend my leisure where I feel wanted.

Regards

Steve

Steve, whilst I applaud your stance on this one I really do think it's up to your mooring owner to provide waste disposal facilities rather than him relying on the public purse for doing so. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveO said:

Regards

Steve

• Can someone tell me whether me liking the above post means I like Steve's argument or I like the fact that Steve is offering to leave the broads? Just wondered because his last words were 'where I feel wanted' and I would hate to send the wrong message... :wave:wave:wave
  • Like 2

Well I 'liked' Steve's post because I liked it but not that I want Steve to leave the Broads, far from it. Even if you guys were to lobby the powers that be, it would probably fall on deaf ears, I just feel really sad that Boat owners who have supported the Broads and poured money into the system through tolls, using  pubs and local shops etc, feel this way and may leave the Broads because of it

Grace

• Like 3

Stupid, short-sighted and poor business sense.

I guess the agenda is to make the hire yards pick up the problem and federate as they do for moorings on non-changeover days. Privateers will need to dispose at their home base if they can...but I can't see how a cruise away from the yards/home moorings will be other than punitive if we are accumulating smelly rubbish over a few days. 

Do I want bags on board/in the dinghy attracting rodents? Well no. If I had small children it would be a deal-breaker.

• Like 4

Can any one let me know when its bin  day in the areas I will be mooring at as I will have nappies and dog bags to dispose off :shocked in the coming months.

Some one will correct me no doubt . I cant believe 2015  we don't have  recycling bins on the broads  . Majority of our rubbish is glass, cardboard and tins. Up in the  north there is money in it . Always goes  against the grain that we end up throwing them in general waste. We try saving them up for the likes of salhouse but its not always possible .I  also agree nothing stands still ,change is always happening so we have to change with it. One thing for sure is we will have to change the way we create rubbish. As mention before think before we buy . I'm not supporting the council withdrawing the service but sometimes we don't help our selves in the first place.

I love it too much too throw in towel just yet . so looks like I will have to adapt . until the council and governments  grow a brain cell  :bow 

• Like 4

I feel for those who are not hirers but even hirers will struggle as well.      Sorry but I do not come on holiday to flaming well recycle rubbish.  It is bad enough the rest of the year at home.  We have 5 bins and it drives me crazy doing someone else's job.     I am not a green or a liberal , if they wish to live on lentils and have no packaging then that is up to them,  this is 2016 for goodness sakes,  we are going backwards not forwards.   

The suggestion I read about eating out, well ok if you wish to be cheek by jowl with hundreds of others at a pub , that if if you can get a mooring, but also eating out wacks up the cost of anyone's holiday.     I cook from scratch ,   anything like peelings go over the side as they will rot down.   Tins , jars etc have to go in a waste bin.    As has been said folk who have babies on board or dogs will be stuck with a load of smelly rubbish.   I can imagine Indian Takeaway containers four days afterwards.  Not nice.

Norfolks and Suffolks black bin rubbish goes to incineration anyway.

• Like 2

We very much hope to spend at least a month on board our boat. There is little point in our mooring provider having bins, as we want to travel around the broads. So as owners there will be nowhere to get rid of rubbish. Going back to the moorings is not an option, especially as they are "the other side of that bridge". Much as we love our mooring, we have a boat, not a static caravan!

• Like 7

In many other countries businesses that create a need for toilets or waste disposal are expected to provide suitable facilities and that they shall be open to all. That seems sensible to me. If on the motor way I might buy a coffee at one service point but dispose of it at the next.

• Like 2

I have to say, I agree with PW !!!!! Again!!!

Most boats probably stop to get water every few days - stop at a boatyard, pay for the water, (why should it be free??? ) and ask politely to dispose of rubbish in their bins. I doubt they will refuse you!

And i must move around on different rivers to some posters. Accepted in school holidays, things get more difficult, but i rarely find i cannot moor and if i do, I have a mudweight as do others. This year I thought it was particularly quiet right up to July so whilst i do think mooring is becoming more of a major issue that needs addressing to some, i actually have very little problem. And of course, failing all else, I am happy in a myriad of places on my weight..

What I had meant to add to my previous post is.     Here you are expected to rinse out all tins etc and clean items before they go in the refuse.    With water at a premium on board a boat, do they honestly think we are going to rinse out tins before binning them.   Dream on.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hylander said:

What I had meant to add to my previous post is.     Here you are expected to rinse out all tins etc and clean items before they go in the refuse.    With water at a premium on board a boat, do they honestly think we are going to rinse out tins before binning them.   Dream on.

You can always chuck 'em in the loo and flush 'em with river water, Monica!   :naughty: