Lifeboat called out to River Bure

HemsbyPie

Hemsby Broads lifeboat Paged by Humber Coastguard at 16.24hrs on Saturday the 9th January to assist a 23 foot cruiser with three occupants with reports of engine failure. On arrival at scene, around the area of the Stracey Arms on the River Bure, the Lifeboat crew had found that the cruiser had ran out of petrol and drifted onto bank defences and had got its engine fouled on submerged matter, which caused the engine to fall off. The Lifeboat crew entered the water and were able to free the engine and secure it to the cruiser with lines. Steerage was also lost due to the breakdown so the Lifeboat crew set up a springer line to bring the boat back to safety at The Bridge Inn at Acle Bridge. The cruiser was secured and moored to the quay for repair to the engine, the three people onboard did not suffer any injuries and were glad of the Lifeboat’s assistance.

Lifeboat Coxswain, Daniel Hurd advises any boat users when considering using their boat for the sea or rivers to ensure that you have undergone ‘boat preparation’ procedures before embarking on any voyage.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

I wonder if the boat is new to the Broads, I can't see any sign of a toll plaque - or registration mark for that matter. 

Thank heavens for the lifeboat crew, getting into bother at 16.24hrs at this time of year would be scary I would think - especially if your engine has fallen off!

Of course it is just plain irresponsible to venture out on the rivers with out doing vital checks any time of the year but more so in winter time, but let's try to not be too harsh, I'm sure we all make mistakes and overlook things somtimes. They will feel emarrassed enough I am sure without us lot gloating (lecture over lol)

What an excellent job our very own Hemsbypie and his crew do, it takes a special kind of person to do what they do, well done to you all :clap

Grace

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Gracie said:

What an excellent job our very own Hemsbypie and his crew do, it takes a special kind of person to do what they do, well done to you all :clap

Grace

I wasn't out on this one, just support crew with the vehicle, but the guys done a great job given the circumstances.

• Like 2

Darn good job that HemsbyPie & Co are there! The Broads can be a very lonely, daunting place during the winter.

Imagine what it was like before the advent of mobile phones. Seeking help, in the good old days, could be a very long and dangerous walk across bogs and marshes with no guarantee of finding a telephone box at the end of it.

• Like 4

I was reading this with all seriousness and thinking how worrying it would have been,. dark, no power and drifting but I am sorry to admit, when I got to part about the engine being fouled by submerged matter  which caused the engine to fall off I broke out with laughter.

Yes, I know this would have been a real worrying experience to have gone through but I can't help but imagine things unfolding onboard...

"Peter, the frigging engine has stopped!" 

"Christ Paul, what do you think it is? Mary is worried down here but I've reassured her it will be ok, it will be right?"

"Yeah don't worry look, hold on let me have a look it might be the carb it keeps playing up when its damp  I think er, yes, oh damn it it's not the carb  - we've run out of fuel!"

"That's it - I've had it with this boating lark.  You men wanting me out on this cold afternoon on little boat - well let me tell you, never again! And now look we are drifting down the bloody river in the dark. I knew this was a bad idea, I could have been with Maureen tonight at Bingo in the warm"

"Darling, look I'm sorry it will be all ok just calm down.  Peter what is the tide doing maybe we can drift over to that bank and at least be out of the main flow"

"Urm hold on Paul, I think it is running out towards Yarmouth - woah Christ what the hell was that?"

"Oh I don't believe it!  Something snagged on the prop, urm, argh damn! The bloody engines fallen off!" 

"The what!, look mate, now is not the time to water about!"

"No I am serious Peter, the outboard has literally fallen off the back of the boat and gone - can someone call the Coastguard"

• Like 5