Hire boats for the night?

HemsbyPie

Good afternoon all. I would really like to hire a boat for a week or 2 on the broads, but the wife has a bit of a water phobia (born for a bad Dover-Calais crossing many years ago, but these things obviously stick with people!)

She is willing to give day boat hire a go but I was wondering if you can hire boats for the night (so you could motor somewhere during the day, moor up & stay the night then motor back the following day?)

Any help would be much appreciated

HP :-)

Motoring around the shallow Broads really does not compare to a Channel crossing!  Why not see if a friendly member would take you aboard for a day, probably in the Northern Rivers? I am sure it would help your good lady overcome the phobia.

Encourage her to get involved, handling the boat, ropes, etc... just sitting watching others is not the best way for a nervous crew member to get comfortable with boating...

• Like 1

When are you looking to hire one? May make a difference as to what is available.

Early season may get you a 'Picnic' boat. I must add that I'm not sure if

Richardsons have those from Geo.Smiths as several were up for sale but if

Clive sees this he may be able to help

I'm not sure if this still the number but worth a try:- . 01603 398123

They definitely have stopped hiring the weekender boats - I called for clarification and was advised to call Richardsons though they may have thought I wanted a 3 night break. 

Their other website address was www.dayboathire.co.uk - not .com. The former is still alive but looks untouched for a while. 

I did think of Freedom, though at £300 plus for one night it looks impractical to me. In the past I have noticed Herbert Woods boats go out and then return the next day when moored opposite on the riverbank, probably at last minute but may be worth a try.

Regards

David

The cost of readying a boat is always the same whether it's for one night or 14. From the boat yards point of view, the costs are pretty much all upfront. It make it worthwhile, there's a minimum charge of three nights. 

And don't forget, the cost you see on the web site is not like other operators - it includes your fuel deposit. The only costs above what you see are optional extras. Take it easy on a short break and you should get the vast majority of your fuel deposit back. 

That's not to say that we won't do better deals - but it all depends on the situation and the yard's workload at the time. We're terribly short right now as my good lady Nicola (who some of you will know) has been terribly ill in hospital and I've not been to the yard now in two weeks as I run the office, house and children. 

When the weather is warmer, there's also Freedom pod for a Flamping trip. This is designed to offer low-cost overnight floating accommodation with prices starting at just £90. 

2 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

The cost of readying a boat is always the same whether it's for one night or 14. From the boat yards point of view, the costs are pretty much all upfront. It make it worthwhile, there's a minimum charge of three nights. 

And don't forget, the cost you see on the web site is not like other operators - it includes your fuel deposit. The only costs above what you see are optional extras. Take it easy on a short break and you should get the vast majority of your fuel deposit back. 

That's not to say that we won't do better deals - but it all depends on the situation and the yard's workload at the time. We're terribly short right now as my good lady Nicola (who some of you will know) has been terribly ill in hospital and I've not been to the yard now in two weeks as I run the office, house and children. 

When the weather is warmer, there's also Freedom pod for a Flamping trip. This is designed to offer low-cost overnight floating accommodation with prices starting at just £90. 

I was going to suggest your good selves Andy, but you beet me to it.

Andy`s comment re operational charges is a very fair point, and if you go for one of these small overnight boats,  they may rock and roll a bit, so if Mrs H pie is concerned about boat movement, then a larger more stable wider beamed cruiser (which would in fact be better to compare as it is what you would be hirimg) is a much more sensible option.  Freedom pod is good for what it`s intended for, but to convince a sceptic, i think it`s way too small, especially when you consider H pie`s original post where he`s trying to get Mrs H to come for two weeks.

As for the picnic boats from Ferry Marina etc, i think you may find they`re not insured, or fitted for overnighting. I know Ferry Marina refused somebody to have one overnight a little while ago.

I honestly think it`s best to look at Freedoms website, pic the sort of boat you would want for two weeks, then book it for a night. You never know, Mrs Hpie might love it, so a quick call to Andy (Freedom`s owner), and they would more than likely let you hold on to the boat for a few extra days, subject to availability of course?.

I'd still go for Whispering Reeds, Bittern is a lovely little boat.  You'll be up on a beautiful part of the Broads that few get to see (look at all those posts moaning about not being able to get under Potter Heigham Bridge).  You could pootle from Hickling to Horsey (you'd have time to get down to Potter or West Somerton and then back to Horsey if you wanted more time on the water), moor up at Horsey Staithe, have a good meal and a few beers at the Nelson Head, and pootle back to Hickling next morning.  Quiet waters, wildlife in abundance ... what's not to like?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

You can hire one of these for two days, e.g. one night, be my choice:

http://www.huntersyard.co.uk/our-boats/cabin-yachts/

You can indeed JM, but I believe he is trying to help his good ladies fears/phobias. If the Dover ferry scared her then, a wobbly yacht won't help matters IMHO

cheersIain

• Like 2