That Deserves A Medal!

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Help!. This thread and Vaughan's "That deserves a medal" appear to be cross linked. I can see in the New Content view a partial reply from Malanka, but cannot see it once I click on this thread?????

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Both thread titles seem to lead to the same place, but minus Malanka's reply, which can still be previewed in the original thread I started, but any replies to that thread still end up here??

this is as much as I can get from the preview:-

A true hero although I do object to the license taken by the Edp with the description of the water last week as "ICY" . Nobody would choose to jump in at GY although many folks have been in the rivers this August so "icy" the water was not . I have also personally and not voluntarily been in the rivers in October icy the water definitely was. Huge difference. Ho hum I...

Well done to the Ranger,

I suspect the picture of the Packman was an EDP stock picture.. 

I also wish they would stop putting out the lie, that the waters of the Broads and Rivers are ALWAYS icy. Having been in many, many times I can assure you it isn't and on the broads themselves, it can be quite warm in the sunshine.

It can be icy in the winter, I hit an Ice flow once and was thrown overboard, that put me in Hospital for a week....

I thought the story of Gary a true Broads hero was somewhat marred by the inclusion of the good doctor in the report.

It took a great deal of guts to dive into the water to save the little girl who fell into the river at the side of the boat.It was lucky that the tide was coming in at the time.

Yarmouth and Reedham must be the two worst areas to go into the water with there fast moving tides

It is a stark reminder to all to make sure that we have our life-jackets and to wear them.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 7

What a brave man who most certainly deserves a medal, well done :default_icon_clap: I cannot for the life of me imagine the fear and panic the parents must have gone through seeing that little girl go into the water especially at Yarmouth, it just seems more dangerous and a scarier place to fall in than some spots on the Northern rivers

I don't like to be judgemental but if the little girl was from a boat, why on earth was she not wearing a life jacket? We as adults have a choice whether we wear one or not (of course we always should) but children no matter how much they may protest should be made to wear one at all times when on a boat or anywhere near the edge, my children have a choice, wear one or don't leave the cabin, simples

Sorry rant over, so glad that little girl is safe

Grace

p.s Perhaps Dr Packman should take a swim at Yarmouth :default_norty:

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, Gracie said:

What a brave man who most certainly deserves a medal, well done :default_icon_clap: I cannot for the life of me imagine the fear and panic the parents must have gone through seeing that little girl go into the water especially at Yarmouth, it just seems more dangerous and a scarier place to fall in than some spots on the Northern rivers

I don't like to be judgemental but if the little girl was from a boat, why on earth was she not wearing a life jacket? We as adults have a choice whether we wear one or not (of course we always should) but children no matter how much they may protest should be made to wear one at all times when on a boat or anywhere near the edge, my children have a choice, wear one or don't leave the cabin, simples

Sorry rant over, so glad that little girl is safe

Grace

p.s Perhaps Dr Packman should take a swim at Yarmouth :default_norty:

Well said Gracie. I think that it should be mandatory for children to wear lifejackets on certain parts of the Broads.

The matter should be discussed and recommendations implemented sooner rather than later.

• Like 4

Sorry Wussername but I don't like anything to be mandatory, even many of those things that already are. And we are assuming that the people concerned were from a boat. maybe they were, maybe they were not, and if not the life jacket wouldn't have been in the discussion. Perhaps this was a child who didn't do as she was told. We just don't know. we cannot judge anything apart from the quick thinking and selfless actions of the ranger concerned. I take my hat off to him, but draw the line at apportioning any blame elsewhere. WE do not have the facts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi MM, according to the BA they had just moored.

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news-and-publications/news/life-jacket-reminder-following-dramatic-rescue-of-4-year-old-child

At what point when on dry land would you remove your lifejacket and where do you leave it. Does somebody then return them to the boat or do you carry it with you as you walk round Yarmouth. Most people will not want to be encumbered with even a modern automatic in the heat of summer. Every praise for the prompt rescue but please let's not let 'Elf and Safety' take advantage of this rare incident. Personal choice is everybody's right.

Colin:default_beerchug:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Islander said:

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/news-and-publications/news/life-jacket-reminder-following-dramatic-rescue-of-4-year-old-child

At what point when on dry land would you remove your lifejacket and where do you leave it. Does somebody then return them to the boat or do you carry it with you as you walk round Yarmouth. Most people will not want to be encumbered with even a modern automatic in the heat of summer. Every praise for the prompt rescue but please let's not let 'Elf and Safety' take advantage of this rare incident. Personal choice is everybody's right.

Hi Colin,

From that report I had not realised  that Gary also had to get the girls teenage sister to safety who had also gone into the river to save her younger sister.

Regards

Alan 

Hi Alan, yes all praise to Gary he did an amazing job. His quick reaction knowing his jacket would inflate in a matter of seconds was amazing. Well deserving of a life saving award. Let's hope JP doesn't try to make too much out of it over life jackets. What Gary did is far more news worthy.

• Like 3

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
1 hour ago, Islander said:

Colin, I believe I'm right in saying that there are some lockers at the yacht station building that are accessible 24hrs a day that you can leave your life jackets in if you left the boat wearing them. Upon your return you retrieve your life jacket and re-board your boat.

I remember something about a trial some time ago. Would be a good idea for a few pubs to follow suit as well. When the drinks in the wits out and all that.

Reedham quay would be another good place for lockers.

Edited to add: Just found details of the trial, item 4.2 I wonder if they continued it?

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/434604/Annual-Safety-Audit-2011-nc190412.pdf

Hi Kingfishers Time. I was not aware of the lockers GY but an excellent idea. They need to encourage boaters to leave their keys in the locker too. They might actually put their lifejacket on before they get on the boat.

I cannot express the admiration I have for Gary.

He went into the water without a thought for his own safety and put himself in a position to protect the young girl from being crushed by the boat.  Fantastic !!!!     Then he made sure that the girl's sister was safe before managing to scramble out himself.

Hope his heroics do not go unrewarded !

Jeff

• Like 1