Cuckoos

JennyMorgan

I have not heard one this year either. Every year we would see cockoos at Fleet Dyke and between Ranworth Dam and Cockshoot but Broadland Cuckoos don't seem to be doing as well as a few years ago.

I was on Janet from Martham between 5th and 12th May, heard cuckoo's at Martham, Acle near the bridge, kingfishers were few and far between however I saw a couple on the Ant and the safest bet is strangely the banks near Richardson's which proved successful. Saw a moorhen at Cockshoot Dyke. Coots are increasingly rare although I expect several are now in flood alleviation channels. Loads of herons and swan's which along with cormorant s appear to be doing well

Neil

• Like 1

Lots of Cuckoos this year, particularly at a wild mooring a little north of Ludham Bridge just over a week ago. The flippin' thing cuckood all through the night!!!! 

Very few Coots though and I don't think I've seen a single Moorhen. Quite a few Grebes with chicks though.

We could hear a cuckoo from our mooring in Brundall  when we first arrived (early May). About a week later we saw a Kingfisher as we were coming out of Ranworth but only because a kayaker that I'd slowed to talk to pointed him out.

I have been watching those "flood alleviation" waters and have seen 1 coot. Yes, one!

There have been waters away from the navigable parts for as long as the broads have existed (roughly speaking) so why is it that so much wild fowl has (allegedly) suddenly decided to move out to them? Could it be to avoid the massively increased heron population? Surely not, the herons can go there too!  or could it possibly be that there are just fewer of them? If so, why would that be? I have no idea. Maybe there's a new predator on the block.

I know, I know, I've said all this before but for as long as the situation remains, so will my opinions, based on nothing more concrete than 50 years watching and feeding them. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Very interesting Andrew. What made you start counting them?

They most certainly migrated into Norfolk on that particular day. They did not stay more than a few days. Years ago numbers stayed and became residents, but no longer it would seem.

Andrew

Sun's trying to break through, very little wind. Last boat here, so plenty of room if you're in the area. Off to Brooms for water then pootle up to Brammerton for lunch. Wander up to Thorpe later but tides wrong for bridges, so hopefully Commissioner's Cut for tonight.

• Like 1

I saw a pair of Cuckoo's (male & female) at RSPB Strumpshaw Fen on Saturday (26th. May). They flew east to west across the front of the woodland,  looking from the wildflower meadow. But, my highlight of the day, was watching the stunning aerobatics of a male Hobby, hunting and catching several dragonflies above the marsh... :default_smile: