Shore Power Battery Chargers

Baz

the important thing is to have the cables rated higher than you think you will ever go, while the cables can run at higher currents, they will start heating up (like the wires on the bar of an electric fire) unfortunately unlike the electric fire - our wires are covered with plastic insulation, while the cables should take this for a short burst, if you have a 3kW rated inverter, the cables will need to take that load, theoretically until the battery is flat (the clue will be the size of the connections on the back of the inverter, it will have huge terminals for the incoming 12V supply. my little 100W inverter at home made 30A cables run warm, and thats only supposed to be 8.3A (I was running a strimmer on it :-) ).

Our (other boat) has a mastervolt, inverter/charger all in the one box (From here on called "thing" - I really don't know much/anything about electrics)... but it's all very smart thing (from what I can work out), it's (we think) charging all 10 batteries (erm 2 + 2 + 4 nope 8 I think.. I dunno.. OK a lot of batteries), it's smart enough to work out if the gen sets on or if the shore powers on or if nothings on and then make the magic happen... Anyway's I'm digging myself a "stupid" hole here.. Basically it's doing the job well and I highly recommend it.. Even dave's stopped cursing the thing now...

Here's a link: http://www.cactusnav.com/mastervolt-mass-combi-24v1800w35a-invertercharger-with-masterbus-p-15694.html There's probably cheaper/smaller ones for 12v/smaller boats but worth a look.

cheers 

Alan the one I have been looking at (now found UK supplier) is everso clever for the price. I now see it has a UPS mode so even when connected to shore power it is monitoring things, so should for example your credit run out or someone unplugged the cable - within a fraction of a second the inverter steps in and uses the battery system on the boat to provided an interrupted power supply - but alarm will alert you to the fact your shore power has been interrupted.

Saying all the above, Mastervolt do supply some fancy kit and you're fortunate to have that onboard. I like their Lithium Iron batteries..http://www.mastervolt.com/products/li-ion/mli-ultra-12-5000/

• Like 1

As well as agreeing with  the above comments about overrating Cables, I'll be applying to inverters as well, I want 3KW continuous, so will buy an inverter rated at 5 or 6KW continuous.

As to having two kettles on board, buy a small hot plate, then you can use one kettle on either gas or electric and have the option of a saucepan on electric if you run out of gas...

Something like http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/mini-ovens/russell-hobbs-15199-electric-mini-hob-stainless-steel-06238637-pdt.html?gclid=CPbMqdngxMwCFSQW0wodpHoD5Q&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!85318529604!!!g!125716485204!&ef_id=VrRFQAAAAagiibeX:20160506055101:s

First off I would not condone the buying of a kettle for a boat and indeed even for home.

I  have long since moved over to the product below which uses

This is the machine I have: Link to buy it takes about 35 to 40 seconds to make a boiling water - and it is boiling not just 'very hot'. This is  not to be confused with 'pod machines' - this just dispenses  boiling water so makes whatever you want.

4230429_R_Z001A?$TMB$&wid=312&hei=312

Because it is on for a short period of time it uses less energy which is very important when you are running something off an inveter and possibly battery system!

At home you might use this to save money over time on electricity bills, but when you are talking about a boat this is a viable way to have the convenience of a kettle on a boat, with it only being used for a short period of time for each mug of boiling water. I could well imagine this being a good item not just for modern hire boats, but also that of those private boaters with 'beefy inverters'.

As for a toaster - just get one that can take a 'full size' slice of bread is always nice.

That looks fine Robin - how much power does it use and what about if you want to make 6 or even 8 hot drinks in one go? - how long does it take to deliver a mugfull from word go and would the first hot drink still be hot when the eighth one is ready  and does it deliver a man sized mug quantity or an arty farty cup size?  Oh and how much do they cost. oh and can you ring me at your earliest convenience,, . . . . . . . gimme a minute, I'm sure I can think of another question, . . . . . got one - when is the next instalment blog ready for viewing, my new HH4 is raring to go,  oh and why have I not put any '?' marks in? :taunt:

Griff

• Like 1

Charlie, it depends how large your mug is - but an average sized would be ready in about 35 seconds. It holds 1.5 litres so just under what a standard kettle does. You can then do one, then move on to the next mug press the button and away it goes. The water takes less time to boil as the unit is already then heated up. It costs £34.50.

Captain's Blog - I will be back up to speed with them just giving a couple days break in editing and will be out tonight so I'd expect new videos to come out over the weekend.

• Like 3

Robin.  An idea for any future (hire boat)  blog. Invite Charlie out with you. You of course remain as skipper to avoid  any  trade description clash  with the "Captains Blog"  and then  just banter, I am sure any creative block will swiftly be overcome and you will likely win over a new generation of fans  ... ?  

• Like 3

We did that once onboard 'B.A' for a couple of days - I kept out of the way as much as I could, didn't want to hinder his creative side coming out.  Still I'd be up for another one as and when, always a pleasure to be afloat with the Rascal

Griff

• Like 1

Just to bring things almost back on track. We fitted a victron 30A charger on The Green Lady 8+ years ago. I have just changed the domestic battery  that has been in every day use for the same period. As we live on our boat, I'm very please with the battery life. If the replacement (Brian Wards again) lasts as well the victron will have paid for itself.

What is the need for ALL this power. My kettle boils water ok, my grill will do 4 crumpets better than any toaster and there are other ways of making coffee and far less expensive than a fancy caffeine machine taking up valuable storage space. The next thing will be electric power showers:rolleyes: and come on people, do you NEED hair dryers when you have Norfolk sun and a gentle breeze, got to be less damaging to your hair.

Time to chill, slow down, you are in Norfolk, enjoy it, so what if the coffee takes 5mins to brew, you will enjoy it more. Or you can worry about how much that 3Kw invertor  will cost with having to change all those cables, not forgetting the ones that link the batteries together, new fuses, isolator switches.

I think I'll stick to one gas pipe feeding one cooker from twin 13Kg gas bottles, all my other tech works off 12v or 5v and think solar is going to be my next major expense.

Colincheersbar

p.s. Recently fitted another victron charger to Lady Linda. This was fitted by Moonfleet and was cheaper than I could have done it for!!!. 

• Like 2

Funny how varied our boating styles and expectations are... Ali and I were in Go Outdoors today buying a few bits and bobs and had a conversation about whether or not we would re-instate the 12 volt system on OBY!  We actually could happily manage without most of the time, using rechargeable lights, a solar charger for phones etc. and little gas stove for the hot water and cooking.  We use shore facilities when possible for showers and have a portaloo on board.

We probably will go wild and put the battery back... just for a cabin light and a cigar lighter for charging... Even our nav lights run from batteries! In time we might go to two rings on the gas stove - Waiting for the kettle is no biggie when we are on the boat...!

Please, please don't read this as criticism of anyone else's approach to boating... It absolutely isn't. For me, our boat is the escape from all the other stuff and I love it simple and basic... I have been on board Broad Ambition and love her to bits... Even got to take the wheel once (thanks Griff) a complete joy... So, completely understand that for others a boat can be a lovely home from home. Just interesting what a wide spectrum of approaches there is here!

• Like 4

Robin looking at the Inverter linked in your post it is the one we have on SP, although we had a handsome deal via E Bay for a little less than your asking price. It came straight from China all packed in its own small wood pallet and box, very well protected and took I think 10 days or so to arrive. A very impressive piece of kit for a third the price or less than the equivalent Victron. 

• Like 1