Usefull Bits 'n Bobs!

VetChugger

Often at this time of the year both Lidl and Aldi start offering "usefull" items at "usually" good prices

Have a peek at the offerings on the way. £180 for a 2kw four stroke genny sounds a bit good!

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=840&ar=10

https://www.aldi.co.uk/specialbuys/dates/sunday-8th-may/c/2016-05-08/?q=%3Apopular&page=0

• Like 2

:wave A guy I know who runs a road side burger van (which is brilliant) in Hawkinge bought a generator for his business from Lidl some 18 months ago.  Its in use 6 days a week and has not missed a beat since he bought it. A pretty good recommendation I think!

Alan cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Not really convinced that it is a good idea to sell an arc welder to the public via a supermarket.

I'm guessing anyone who wants to buy one either knows what they are doing or will quickly want to know what they are doing before trying it again.

• Like 7

Other than the UV exposure that can blind you the other one is infra red which can give you cataracts so use the mask...

Also when you clean the job prior to welding make sure it is clean and DRY and the area is well ventilated. The reason being that many chemicals one might use to clean can be turned into really nasty toxins at welding temperatures. Phosgene gas for instance can recreate that Great War experience...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LeoMagill said:

Every qualified welder I've ever met was a member of the public.

I don't think a qualified welder would be using anything like an Aldi or Lidl welder, most will be using MIG and TIG welders with large bottled gas.

Would you buy a second hand car that has been welded by a novice, if the weld doesn't have the penetration, it might as well not be welded at all.

The item that worries me is that Aldi sell chain saws, in the wrong hands, without training, people can cut things off that are so dear to them, or kill them selves. Look on YouTube for chainsaw accidents, no I'll take that back, don't look.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Viking23 said:

...The item that worries me is that Aldi sell chain saws, in the wrong hands, without training, people can cut things off that are so dear to them, or kill them selves...

Surely someone wanting a chainsaw will obtain one anyway irrespective of whether it comes from the high street or the internet? If responsibility of use is down to the retailer we had better all return our kitchen knives immediately :hardhat:

Before health and safety it was called natural selection! 

• Like 5

I bought one of their electric chainsaws, and have used it extensively. Taking care, and using appropriate workwear, they're as safe as such a thing can be. Apart from overriding the safety features and actively trying to top yourself, I couldn't imagine how you could hurt yourself. Of course, you could hurt other people, but that's a whole new subject!

• Like 1

We don't have guard wires on the side of our sailing boat. A health and safety risk assessment might advise that stanchions and guard rails be put on the perimeter of the boat to stop people falling off it. I on the other hand think that the lack of them encourages people to hold onto something which is ultimately safer than depending on a trip wire stopping you falling overboard.

If it looks dangerous people treat it with respect.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

• Like 2

Just to prove my idiocy: Last week I was erecting a trellis arch round Rene's garden bench. The top cross piece wouldn't slot securely into place, so instead of walking round the bench, I tried to cock my leg over the back of it to see what was wrong. Whereupon the (heavy) top piece threw itself onto my bonce. A lump the size of a duck egg raised itself, and Rene spent the rest of the day intermittently prodding it "to see if it still hurt". Of course it *&%*ing did! And I'm the one with a Lidl's chainsaw.

• Like 8

On 06/05/2016 at 11:11 PM, Regulo said:

A lump the size of a duck egg raised itself, and Rene spent the rest of the day intermittently prodding it "to see if it still hurt". Of course it *&%*ing did! And I'm the one with a Lidl's chainsaw.

Come to think about the lump the :dunce: hat  would be ideal to protect said lump!:naughty: