Ferry House Surlingham

Baitrunner

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already and I missed it - so apologies if I am late to the game.

I saw at the weekend they have nearly finished the new quay heading on the stern mooring area and it is looking jolly nice.

It has always put me off mooring there (as the end moorings have always been booked), but makes it much more attractive now. Have been there on many occasions by road, but this makes it much easier for us now.

I am hoping it gets them even more custom as it is good to see a thriving pub doing well for both boat and road punters alike.cheers

• Like 7

I think one of your owners was moored there on Saturday on the finished part of the quay heading. I know we did see her out at the weekend and am sure it was there. Hope I don't get them into trouble now!!:bow

To be honest, I would be happy to moor my boat there once it's finished.

Just moored there for two nights most of the mooring finished with the exception of some down boards and top timbers in places which I believe are planned to be completed very soon.Shale pathway has been put down on the moorings in front of the pub, Sonia has certainly spent some money. By the way the food we had there was as usual plentiful and excellent

Boycee

:clap

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Just checked there web site .. Looks a great menu, lots of choices, and good prices, and very friendly..

So looking forward to stopping there in September... 

cheersbar

From all reports here, I do not think you will be disappointed. Enjoy !

cheersIain

• Like 1

While at Oulton Broad over the weekend, we were delighted  to discover that the Red Herring is under new ownership and has been up and running since October. The new people deserve an A for effort. the food was lovely. Although My husband said his beef was overdone,, he enjoyed it nonetheless. We both started with scallops, delicious, after which I had the Dover sole which was sublime, served with beautifully crisp sautéed new potatoes and tender, buttery, salty  samphire cooked just the way it should be. The staff were lovely and bent over backwards to create a friendly atmosphere. They really deserve to succeed. As always it's a tad on the expensive side but will always get a visit from me when at Oulton.

Regards,

Carole

• Like 3

Easily the best pub on the South for food, atmosphere, friendliness and staff. Cannot recommend more highly, and a great place to wake up to a Brekkie too if you book the night before. Scores higher than the Bridge at Acle for me by virtue of  the fact that you can also book your mooring  well in advance here if you wish too.       

IMAG0538.jpg

IMAG0441.jpg

• Like 7

Lovely pictures of a proper nice Broadland pub, boats moored, people sitting outside having a drink, yummy food and a friendly atmosphere, what's not to like. The only problem with these pubs that have tables and chairs outside is when we come into moor I do tend to hide in the cabin until HWMBO has safefully moored up without hitting anything and then, only then, will I come out and show off lol. Seriously though, lovely pictures, have some fond memories of that place, thanks for posting :clap

Grace

• Like 3

You're welcome Grace and know what you mean about the mooring. For us it's normally worse as with just the two of us I tend to helm arrival and departure  and Janet is the Bow lady. We approach quietly and hope for no errors...and then i cock up and  the two dogs feel obliged to tell all  by barking  the place down and alert everyone to watch !

• Like 2

Mark, I have said this a hundred times before, when I take the helm and moor up at wild or secluded moorings, I am the best damn helmswoman you have ever seen, I just leave the busy moorings, pubs, 24 hour public moorings etc, to HWMBO and when he messes up I get great pleasure telling him how it should be done and if it was me I would never have done it like that :naughty:

Grace

• Like 4

Very shortly after selling our first boat we met the people who had bought it out on the river. We stopped to chat and inevitably I asked the lady how she liked  boating as it was her first boat. She said that since having it "they had had that many domestics" and she couldn't work out why as they both loved  boating. I explained there was one golden rule and once she accepted it things would improve. The rule:- He is at the helm in total charge of the boat you are standing,  rope ready to  jump off and tie up HE  hits something and it's all your fault. Once you understand  and accept that basic principal the rest falls into place,. Simples!

regards,

Carole

• Like 4

Hi Carole,

That sounds so familiar but change He for She, its Tan's job to helm the boat other than the boring bits like the New Cut, mooring, going around those flappy things and of course bridges.

This gives me loads of time to read a book, do a crossword! I wish:naughty: instead it is cleaning the boat doing the odd repair and preparing lunch etc.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 3

I'm with Tan Alan I always have an immediate need to visit the loo if I spot a flappy thing while at the helm.I don't think my husband is fooled for one minute. As for boat cleaning , I have always had the rule I don't do outside only inside And when I see ladies busily cleaning outside I have been known to remonstrate that they are letting the side down. I've even heard my husband say to offenders "don't let my wife see you doing that or you'll be in trouble"! It's a system that works for us and as it takes so much longer to clean the out side than it does the inside it leaves me with p!enty of time to do crosswords or read "War & Peace!

Regards,

Carole

• Like 2

Alan, we passed Ranworth Breeze this morning moored outside the Ferry.

We are moored at the Waters Edge for a meal tonight, back to Norwich tomorrow and risking stopping at the Yacht station tomorrow night as we going to see Rod Stewart at Carrow Road in the evening.

Planning on stopping at the Ferry Monday evening for a meal, it.s a long time since we were there, again because of the moorings, looking forward to a steak with all the trimmings.

Paul.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul&lorna said:

Alan, we passed Ranworth Breeze this morning moored outside the Ferry.

We are moored at the Waters Edge for a meal tonight, back to Norwich tomorrow and risking stopping at the Yacht station tomorrow night as we going to see Rod Stewart at Carrow Road in the evening.

Planning on stopping at the Ferry Monday evening for a meal, it.s a long time since we were there, again because of the moorings, looking forward to a steak with all the trimmings.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

A few of our owners do visit the Ferry to be honest I prefer the Waters Edge, if the pork chops are on the menu they were excellent.

Regards

Alan