Cathedral Peregrines

ranworthbreeze

This thread is amazing. What a great bunch we are, the world is falling apart, but we all care for some of mother natures most beautiful creations.  I love Birds of prey, and i have to embarrasingly admit to a number of times when i`ve nearly driven a boat into the bank while i`ve been watching a marsh harrier gliding low over te marshes and reeds. Last week i was up at our archery club field, and in the middle of a six arrow end, i stopped shooting to watch 3 Buzzards circling over the woods to the north, absolutely amazing. But what was more amazing was a couple of years back, we were shooting at the field, whan one of our lady members called me to show me a red kite gliding low over our feild. That was the first time i`d (knowingly) seen a wild red kite, absolutely amazing to watch, and actually, quite surprising to see how large the red kite is?.  My best experience of wild birds of prey was when i was working in the back garden, and hearing a double thump. I looked up thinking i`d see Karen closing the bedroom windows, but no. Then i remembered a few years earlier, i heard a thump on the garage window, only to find a dead bird with a broken neck on the work bench. This time however, it was a double thump, so i went and looked, and saw some feathers fluttering below the garage window inside. What i found inside was amazing. I found a wild female sparrowhawk which had chased another bird into the garage, the prey sustaining a broken neck, but the Sparrowhawk was only stunned. I managed to pick her up, and take her outside, wearing a pair of leather riggers gloves. I was very glad of them, because as she started to come round, her talons were starting to grip my fingers, and it`s surprising, painful even, to find out just how much pressure they can grip with, and how sharp those talons are. Iput her down on the slabs in front, and went to get her free meal, but when i went back, she`d come round just enough to realise i was there, and promptly flew away.  That was simply amazing to have a wild sparrowhawk in my hands. Something that will very likely never happen again.

The funniest thing is, when i checked up in one of my bird books, in the text on Sparrowhawks, it states "not uncommon to kill themselve by flying into windows when chasing down prey". She certainly did that alright, but glad to say she flew away to hundt another day.

• Like 2

Doesn't look too good for the littlest one then. That's a shame as they were doing well rearing all four chicks. Wonder why the male doesn't do something about the intruder, and what are her motives as she is not attacking the young.

1 minute ago, lincan said:

Doesn't look too good for the littlest one then. That's a shame as they were doing well rearing all four chicks. Wonder why the male doesn't do something about the intruder, and what are her motives as she is not attacking the young.

Just the stranger side of mother nature. If you look afetr a straggler, the rest mite suffer.

I watched Springwatch a few years ago, when they were showing a Barn owl which had two lots of 3 eggs. They all hatched, and were doing fine, but then the rain came, and did`nt stop. Owls won`t hunt in the rain, so when the 6 youngsters started disappearing, they all wondered if they fell to some form of predator. Unfortunately, later in the series, there was only one large chick left. Then, they were lucky to get film of what was going on. The smaller chicks were being eaten by the bigger ones, until there was only two left. The small one was hungry, so snuggled up to his big brother, who promptly turned round and ate him. 

These are wild creatures, and do what is necessary to stay alive. It`s what we all know as survival of the fittest.

• Like 1

Up at ou archery field again this evening and was treated to a really close up flight of the Red Kite again this evening.  I did get a bit concerned when he / she got down quite low, and not far from the targets, so i stopped shooting. I wish the others did too, but they did`nt seem to concern themselves with it.