Co Gas Detection

Siddy

When I moved into here it had a Co detector upstairs near the boiler (bungalow) and it has an open feature gas fire in the room  with a 6" extract in the bathroom so I thinking more detection required so I got a dual smoke/co and it give alarm via voice and beeps. We can't use the fire anyway with the pup throwing his toys around.

So a few weeks ago i'm away on a course and Kaz rings to say the alarm was beeping for flat battery and i managed to get it down and remove battery. I'm now thinking it's a twist mount. But it's still beeping and won't stop. ok where are you now - kitchen, and were is the beeping coming from - passage!!. So i'm now biting my finger to stop me from taking the p!$$, now look on the floor theres a box and whats sat on top of the box. This box had the last things to be taken when we moved it was the old smoke detector. Life.

Our smoke alarm doubled as the dinner bell but she's improving and a proper test will have to be put in place.

Ever since owning my own boat I've had smoke detectors on board. Three, one in the front berth, one in the mid berth and one in the saloon. About 7 years ago I changed the one in the saloon for a Co detector. In the marina about 4 weeks ago the back door was open and the roof was down. A boat about 50M away, but directly up wind of me started their engines preparing to depart and my Co detector went mad. Had to close the door and reset it. We were in the centre cockpit at the time, but good to know it works. 

• Like 1

This conversation is starting to worry me. I don't want you to think I am against CO detectors as their modern technology is most valuable and, as you say, money well spent. But I would not like anyone to feel that they can sleep easy, now that they have "downloaded the latest APP".

Gas safety on boats comes down to basic principles of good installation, and ventilation is still the key to it. I cannot emphasise this enough. Don't forget that ventilation must be low as well as high. It is no good putting another deck-head vent above the cooker if the air is not coming in from below. You must have a circulation of air.

Personally I would sleep a lot easier if I knew that my boat had been inspected in the spring by a CORGI gas fitter from the boatyard, who has pressure tested the pipework and serviced the cooker. As part of this service he will inspect ventilation and advise you accordingly. Now THAT is money well spent, and it happens on every hire boat, every year.

• Like 5

Hi Vaughan,

I totally agree with you regarding the ventilation especially speaking from a circulation point of view.

Not too sure about the CORGI registered fitters, is there many of the boat yards that have one on staff, maybe they use contractors.

Sadly there are good and very bad CORGI registered fitters. A number of years ago my business partner had a extension build above his garage to provide an additional bedroom. The fitter he employed ended up not getting fully paid. The Gas board condemned his pipework to the boiler, all of his gas joints leaked and the circ's leaked. So much for doing a pressure test.

Regards

Alan

Just a reminder that CORGI has now been replaced by Gas Safe in the UK. Companies and engineers can be checked out at,

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

It is also important to note that there are different categories under which an engineer can be certified and registered. Commercial or domestic. Natural gas or LPG etc. Boat is even a separate category now.

• Like 4

No problem Alan, anyone looking for a Gas Safe engineer on the Southern Broads, I would recommend John Spruce 01502731377  who is based at Somerleyton. Did my cooker replacement 6 years ago, and is still Gas Safe registered. He also does general boat mechanics, I believe he used to work for Crown Cruisers some years back.

• Like 2

Anyone who works on gas in a boatyard must be registered. The yards either have one of their own or they use one who is.

I know it's not called CORGI any more, but "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet". I gave up my registration when I retired but as Kfurbank suggests, mine was for "LPG boats" and "cookers".

I know John Spruce very well. He was the chief engineer at Crown Cruisers for many years, until they got "yuppyfied". I can't say he is the best on the Broads, of course, so I'll just say you won't get any better! Give him my kind regards.

I am sorry you have had a bad experience with someone at your house Alan, but this does not detract from the (literally) vital necessity to know that your gas system is regularly inspected and that your ventilation is (more than) adequate.

What I am trying to say is that just because you have a BSS certificate, it is not enough to go to bed in the fond hope that a little plastic box on the bulkhead is going to go beep. If it does so, then you have a problem, which must be rectified, by a Gas Safe fitter.

This is what concerns me and I repeat - a CO detector is treating the symptoms, but not the disease itself.

• Like 2

Hi Vaughan,

It was not my house it was my business partners house, if it had been at my house his feet would not have touched and he would have been straight off the job.

I am awful with so called tradesmen, I guess it is because I have always been involved with electrical/mechanical engineering all of my life. 

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1

WR is very basic, but...........in the days of being on hire there were boards that fitted underneath the doors that were shut over the steps into the cabin to prevent drafts!!! The one to the front cabin could still be used today but there is no gas in the that cabin but there was in her hire boat days as that was where the cooker (well two burner hob and grill) was.  The rear cabin where the gas cooker now is, has been dismantled!!!  The window over the cooker can not be shut and now there is a large gap below the door. Even with that I still like to keep the rear cabin well ventilated when cooking.

Many years ago I heard a tale of some people dying whilst moored on a Woods boat (it happened possibly before I was even born), they had I believed blocked all the ventilation but in those days there was an added threat - gas burning heaters that could also be used!

It always has been a hidden killer but now there should be no excuse!

• Like 2

Someone mentioned Propane/Butane type stoves earlier and rightly commented that they may produce CO on first ignition. They can also be a source of dangerous C) if they are not burning correctly, so it is best not to think if them as 'safe'!  We use them on our sailing boat, but we are very well ventilated (cooker is right next to the companionway if we cook inside).  I don't plan to fit a CO alarm any time soon, but totally understand why people with more sources of risk and less ventilation would consider this a no-brainer.

I was amused by the suggestion that ideally an alarm or detector should be fitted 18 inches above your head height. Well, on a Broads boat, unless you are a midget....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broadsword said:

I was amused by the suggestion that ideally an alarm or detector should be fitted 18 inches above your head height. Well, on a Broads boat, unless you are a midget....

I think the person who suggested this was talking about in sleeping cabins; 18 inches above head height when you are lying on the bed.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Siddy said:

Just seen this deal for 2 CO detectors for a twin pack £20.

6 year sensor life

The only problem with those, Siddy, is that they don't necessarily detect a fire. Ive got this one at home and on the boat:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7001600.htm 

Or you might go this way:

http://www.superlecdirect.com/p-co1sa6-kidde-carbon-monoxide-and-smoke-detector-dual-pack-co1sa6?gclid=CjwKEAjwuo--BRDDws3x65LL7h8SJABEDuFRQ2dM420c79upIlKh-wBZlbiTXR565JD1UvG0CJy7WhoCURrw_wcB

Hi John, 

I had to replace the same CO/fire alarm last week after it was bleeping after changing the batteries, I tried another new set of batteries and again after a day it was bleeping again. On the new one I noted that it had limited life.

I wanted to get a replacement fast so got one locally at £31.99 if I had waited a few days someone on EBay is selling the same sensor/alarm at less than £20. 

You know how time flies, I have had the last sensor/alarm for a good number of years and found it to be a good purchase.

Regards

Alan

With those 'duel' alarms (CO/Smoke) Do they tell you which of those problems have triggered them?

Hypothetical case... You are making toast on board, the alarm goes off You do notice the slight smell of burned bread, but not the fact the grill burner is flickering with yellow in the flame. I think you can see where I'm going with this :)

With seperate alarms at least you can see which hazard is going to kill you!

• Like 2