Broom Hireboats Aground On Breydon Water

ranworthbreeze

I didn't get called to the phone when they dished out sense of direction, I wasn't even on the planet, totally useless at it, clearly as is my knowledge of the Spirit of Breydon, thanks for pointing that out oh pesky one lol :kiss

Grace

p.s What does SOB do, exactly? :naughty:

• Like 1

I think to be fair people are inherently programmed to  do what they think is best – this is why instruction following is not always something that can be done – or may begin to be followed but then tappers off – you see it time and again in accident reports where clear instructions, training regimes etc are not followed because it took a bit more time or caused some issue so people skip bits out and the job gets done the same until something goes wrong.

What we see on Breydon is what I’ll call ‘Path or Grass Syndrome’.  You are walking along a bath that has a left hand turn in it at a sharp angle. Some people will follow the path and turn left, others will see this as pointless and cut across the grass – but not everyone will.

If you had a sign saying ‘please keep to the path’ it would not stop the people cutting the corning onto the grass, there is no danger from doing this.

The issue on Breydon, as I’ve said in various topics about the Broads is those who come (in the main) are wither first time boaters or have been before but the last time maybe a year ago, and even then might not have been over the stretch of water they find themselves in now.

There are many times on this Forum and indeed Facebook Groups where people either hirers or owners ask about crossing Breydon – from what time to cross on a particular day to being unsure or worried about the affair so much so will invite anyone else who may be crossing to tag along with them.

I therefore think it is safe to assume this area of the Broads is different, and therefore does need in my opinion clear signage.  

You may wonder however what point would this be, those who cut the corner and walk over the grass surly would also not follow a sign on a channel marker on Breydon – but you see they might because it is a new environment, unfamiliar territory to them so more cautious and would appreciate that extra helping hand the sign would provide.  ‘Keep this side of post’ is taken in immediately, it is a simple instruction and as it is followed up at each and every post it would be clear to continue following this simple instruction until there were no posts. 

The same sign can be used at other locations, the lower Bure and Yare as you approach Breydon.  It might seem overkill but I genuinely think that it would help – not in all cases sure, but if it was one or two then that is someone’s holiday stopped from being spilt hanging about on the mud, less money expended in fuel for Spirit of Breydon (or other craft sent to aid the boat that was aground) amongst other things – the sing once paid for and put up sits there doing its thing year after year.

Posts .jpg

http://www.jafgraphics.co.uk/uk-street-road-signs

• Like 3

Whilst not disagreeing with what Robin is saying, I suspect that any signs attached to posts would get knocked off, or someone would run into the post trying to read the sign!

What about putting a reflective patch, about the size of a car number plate, vertically on the “good” side of each post.  These could be made from the same material as fluorescent jackets and potentially self-adhesive.  The instruction to all would then be “keep the fluorescent marks in view”.  It would also help Vaughan to find the posts at night (with the aid of a torch).

• Like 1

Has there ever been a serious injury or loss of life through running aground on Breydon, Barton, Hickling or any where else come to that. Regarding Breydon, well boats have been stranded for decades. And the consequences of such has been purely an inconvenience for those involved.

Prior to the Internet and the mobile phone nobody ever knew about it and I suspect didn't really care.

But if it is an issue, before we start implementing or even discussing signs and scheme's to prevent any further escalation of this problem or indeed limit the frequency of events then surely should not we consider in the first instance asking the helm in a non confrontational manner as to why he found himself in difficulty.

It is then and only then, that the correct course (oops!) of action can be taken.

Andrew

• Like 5

I expect the majority of hire boat drivers drive cars ..

It's so simple they recognise signs from the Highway Code 

So why doesn't the BA fix a DOT 610 left and right blue and white arrow sign to each and every post along Breydon.. It would stop a lot of confusion by putting up a sign saying exactly the same in writing when a simple DOT sign does the same with a simple arrow... Other waterways in the country use DOT signage and It works well .. Jonzos idea of chains is good idea between makers with big floating buoys to them aswell they use that on other water ways near locks and weirs.. So it will keep them on track..  Hopefully ..

Heres a few examples mainly off of The River Great Ouse at Barford..

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonRascal said:

I think to be fair people are inherently programmed to  do what they think is best – this is why instruction following is not always something that can be done – or may begin to be followed but then tappers off – you see it time and again in accident reports where clear instructions, training regimes etc are not followed because it took a bit more time or caused some issue so people skip bits out and the job gets done the same until something goes wrong.

What we see on Breydon is what I’ll call ‘Path or Grass Syndrome’.  You are walking along a bath that has a left hand turn in it at a sharp angle. Some people will follow the path and turn left, others will see this as pointless and cut across the grass – but not everyone will.

If you had a sign saying ‘please keep to the path’ it would not stop the people cutting the corning onto the grass, there is no danger from doing this.

The issue on Breydon, as I’ve said in various topics about the Broads is those who come (in the main) are wither first time boaters or have been before but the last time maybe a year ago, and even then might not have been over the stretch of water they find themselves in now.

There are many times on this Forum and indeed Facebook Groups where people either hirers or owners ask about crossing Breydon – from what time to cross on a particular day to being unsure or worried about the affair so much so will invite anyone else who may be crossing to tag along with them.

I therefore think it is safe to assume this area of the Broads is different, and therefore does need in my opinion clear signage.  

You may wonder however what point would this be, those who cut the corner and walk over the grass surly would also not follow a sign on a channel marker on Breydon – but you see they might because it is a new environment, unfamiliar territory to them so more cautious and would appreciate that extra helping hand the sign would provide.  ‘Keep this side of post’ is taken in immediately, it is a simple instruction and as it is followed up at each and every post it would be clear to continue following this simple instruction until there were no posts. 

The same sign can be used at other locations, the lower Bure and Yare as you approach Breydon.  It might seem overkill but I genuinely think that it would help – not in all cases sure, but if it was one or two then that is someone’s holiday stopped from being spilt hanging about on the mud, less money expended in fuel for Spirit of Breydon (or other craft sent to aid the boat that was aground) amongst other things – the sing once paid for and put up sits there doing its thing year after year.

Posts .jpg

http://www.jafgraphics.co.uk/uk-street-road-signs

What is the point on putting signs on every post, as they dont bother to read them when driving on the road.

The Wench

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LeoMagill said:

@ Scrumpycheddar

That's not the best example showing signs at barford bridge as most gt.ouse boaters use the wrong arch anyway as a matter of course, I always did.

Leo that's very true my uncle always use to go under the wrong arch before going through .. And the reason is one arch was 10ft 5in high by 12ft 4in wide and the other was 9ft 8in high by 13ft 12in wide ...

It always use to be a mad rush on the willington side of the bridge to fold down the windscreen remove the canopy before going under the wrong arch as there was no moorings unless you called around to the old sluice island to do it.. I always did wonder why they had the signs on the bridge at time and it could of got a lot of boaters into trouble ... Those where thedays on the Ouse 

But I just used the signage as an example to show DOT signs being used on the waterways thanks for reminding me Leo ha ha :clap

I have heard that there was a lot of money to be made getting boats off Breydon in the old days. The men who came out from Cobham Island to do it were called longshore sharks. There was a scam which had something to do with putting the mud weight down, and thus claiming salvage, but I can't remember the details.

Maybe someone else can?

• Like 1

Hi Vaughan,

Here is what I have just found out:-

Salvage (the recovery of lost or damaged vessels) is a recurring theme in Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons series, with descriptions of rescues of stricken boats.

Sharks or Yarmouth sharks claim salvage on boats and Wreckers wreck boats to pillage the contents. The books have stories of sharks who help unsuspecting skippers in a tight spot (or during minor difficulties), then claim salvage rights over the rescued vessel.

Regards

Alan

On 03/08/2016 at 0:01 PM, LondonRascal said:

There's a dictionary definition of these people Robin that makes me chuckle. They are known as 'Meanderthalls'. 

• Like 2