Broom Hireboats Aground On Breydon Water

ranworthbreeze

25 minutes ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Would they get fined by the BA or the hire company for doing that.??

Also Did they have to wait very long before they refloated again.. 

I doubt they would have caused any damage. Broom's should be fine unless it affects handback. B.A (should have) would have just shouted over asking if all is well. There's little need for any intervention really unless they try walking off the boat so yup they would have just have to sit and wait until the tide anything upto 12 hours (or 24 as they shouldn't motor after dark). 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Maxwellian said:

I think Lynda and John pulled them off, they had three on Sunday.

Hi Ian, a couple of years or so back, John told me he had a rcord year pulling nearly 70 boats of the Breydon mud, and on one particular day of that year, he pulled 7 off in 1, yes, that`s ONE day.   They can`t ALL be mechanical failures etc?.

• Like 1

Surely a simple explanation to the novice is so easy.

Markers are so placed for an incoming or flooding tide. Red to port or left. Green to right or starboard.

So if coming in from the sea or going up river Red to Red, Green to Green. Keeping between the posts or buoys. 

But hire boats do not have navigation lights so how does a first timer know his green from his red? 

Like this: 

" I have a little RED, PORT wine LEFT in my glass."  When going with the flood keep your red to red, if your green can see the red  you may have a problem.

38 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Surely only one thing can be certain, that being that those of us who have never run aground on Breydon can not, for the the very lives of us, understand how on earth anyone else can get it all so wrong.  After all, doing it right is just so easy!

I tend to think that, in my case, more by luck than judgement!

The message re Breydon is everywhere, the boatyards now do tides and Breydon crossing during the handover. They leave a copy of the broadcaster, the skippers hand book. It is covered on the BA site and all of the forums. To not take it in you really have to be a recluse, and they would not come boating. So unless it is due to a failure eg rudder, engine. Failure to read or think is not covered, although failure not to panic probably is.

So why do so many people get stuck on the mud? Interesting as it should not be due to lack of knowledge and unless the statistics for those hiring on the Broads re IQ is worse than average it should not be due to that, me included. Could it be due to confusion? As you go round the windy bits you do need to watch the posts. Red and green swapping side whether you are going up stream or down. Then Panic sets in.

Perhaps BA need to set up a funded team to investigate this further and spend more toll money. :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maxwellian said:

So why do so many people get stuck on the mud? 

Think that's down to the "that doesn't apply to me syndrome "

we've been hiring from many different boatyards since the 80’s and it has always talked about in the handover and is always in the Skippers Manual.

we always plan the crossing in advance and have never had any problems.

In pre internet days we were always sent a tide table so we're able to plan the best days to cross

• Like 1

Breydon must be daunting to a novice but the instructions are clear enough, indeed I don't know how they can be any clearer.

I once watched a hireboat depart a well populated channel and head off across the mud flats and then two other boats followed it. We were in a sailing boat, quite clearly not aground, and those heading off for a grounding frantically waving at us, obviously convinced that they were in the right and we were in the wrong! We later found out that they were a school group!

The same happens on Barton with some regularity. Boats leave Richo's, on reaching Barton they keep to starboard as if heading for Neatishead, they then clip the island shallow water buoys and head straight over Turkey Broad and on to the putty missing the Ant completely. 

After all the boats have left you see Richardsons tow boat, dinghy in tow to enable a line to be passed ploughing across to pull them off.

I can only put it down to the excitement of starting their holiday and not paying attention.

Uncle Albert was always annoyed because I took 'the scenic route', as he called it, around Barton Broad. Travelling down river I keep the starboard bank to port and swing to the starboard side of the island. As I come around the island I'm pointing straight at the mouth to the Ant. Coming upstream I keep the starboard bank to starboard and keep the island to port. I started doing this after crossing Barton one time in a very thick fog which seemed to arrive from nowhere in a matter of seconds.

It's been awhile since RT has left her moorings, but I would regularly see privateers swinging on the mudweight past the channel markers on the starboard bank on the upstream mouth of the broad. Lord Paul once explained to me that on hot days and nights a fresh breeze blows through here cooling you down...but I still find it an odd place to moor.

Another regular sight on Barton was the BA launch gently but firmly removing hirers who always seem to want to mudweight downriver just off the buoys marking the island.

Could it be that they are foreigners.      It looks as if they were together.    Bit of a coincidence that two Brooms end up in the same predicament.      I think at times we can be a bit harsh and judgemental when we do not know the full story.

We can all be wise after the event.

• Like 5