Broad Ambition - The Model

grendel

My trip to the dentists today is complete, so I have the rest of the day to do things, first was refitting those strips to test them. then I had a brainwave, I have enough of these strips that they can form the basis of the ribs for the second model, the wood is a finer grain and no knots, and is more flexible than the wood I am currently using, plus there is enough strips that I can get the right number of ribs from just the two sides (outside the slots for the strings). this should give even better results than I have achieved on this hull (see I am learning all the time). I will strip some to size on the table saw and see how they perform in the steam bending. they are not long enough to plank the hull (though they would do a great job) I may be investigating how much these wooden blinds cost :-)

IMG_3870.JPG

• Like 4

I will be testing things like that, I have already learned one thing, they are all the same wood - just stained a different colour, I am going to plump for lime, as the smell while cutting is quite lemony, this is a perfect hardwood for bending. anyway just under 2 hours later, I have a nice selection of strips to build with. next to test how well they bend with steam?

IMG_3873.JPG

• Like 3

We found two slats glued together make excellent sail battons for the enterprises!

I reckon some cut to half your planking width will make excellent spoiling boards for when you come to plank the fwd end?

Throughly enjoying your project

With all those extra ribs bent up I had a bit more I could get on with this morning, more ribs steamed (I have now moved to the former 2 jig as we are changing shape quite fast now, by making 2 ribs at once in the steamer I get one slightly bigger (to fit the stern side of the bulkhead) and one to fit nearer the bow, so if I steam 3 pairs, I can fit 3 bigger ribs, then fit the 3 smaller, I can then go to the next former down and repeat the process, after that its that awkward section where the curve changes from convex to concave between the bulkheads.

IMG_3883.JPG

IMG_3884.JPG

IMG_3885.JPG

• Like 3

before I get ribbed too far I have to make up the formers for those front ribs, better to do it now than when I get to a point I need to backtrack, so formers have been added in the form of faux planking, then marked out so I can steam the ribs and bend them round the former and clamp to dry, I need 2 for each location, some will end up passing under the hog, others will be notched in to the side of the hog. once dry these will be numbered corresponding to the location, thus we will form the shape of the hull at the front end, to give that distinctive shape of Broad Ambition.

at the moment she looks a bit like a clamp hedgehog, I cant steam up any more ribs as I have run out of clamps, some holding the ribs I fitted earlier, others holding the formers in place.

IMG_3886.JPG

IMG_3887.JPG

IMG_3888.JPG

IMG_3889.JPG

• Like 4

a busy day, from doing the boot fair this morning, fixing the mother in laws back door step,  half an hour diagnosing a problem with the car (abs / speedo sensor failed) then a trip out to my old viking friends training session (to drop off some arrows I had found - had a quick practice with bow and arrow, and back home, then I spent a little time, clamped up some more ribs for the front section.

IMG_3891.JPG

• Like 5