Area To Get Dog In The Water

Siddy

Hi, looking at getting the dog in the water when were down in a few weeks, going to try the beach area at Salhouse to try talk him in also no flow. Just checked on google maps and it looks like level drops quickly.

Is there any other areas to try, were on Melody so under the bridges is out.

Any tips on getting him in & not the old throwing in. I did hold him over the water in April and his 4 paw drive kicked in.

Salhouse is ideal,   they can paddle out and are swimming before it drops off,  Macie dog goes swimming there regular summer or winter, although I try to keep her out of the oggin in winter as it is more of a problem drying her off. She also goes in off the slipway at the pilots office in PH but you have to keep an eye out for manoeuvring boats.  Slipway at Thurne dyke is also another one. She has also been known to go in the ponds at St Benets Abbey too.  She would happily go in anywhere I let her but the difficulty is getting them out again.  Hope this helps

Griff

We have a German Shepherd who thankfully hates the water which is lucky as I dread to think how hard it would be getting her dry and then the state she would probably get the boat into with all the crud left in her fur, mind you she has accidently gone in once with her life jacket on and its lucky we were on our way home as even after a good bath she still smelt like a dead fish for a week.  Take your dog to the pub instead :-) 

• Like 2

Tips on getting him in.  -  Wear some old trainers, get some shorts on and go in with him! (Salhouse)  or favourite toy, chuck that in (Assuming it floats) but not too far out just so he is paddling for a while then get progressively further out until he is swimming

Griff

• Like 1

Unless you are training him as a gun dog or something, I'd be inclined NOT to encourage him into the water. If he discovers he likes swimming, you might find it harder to stop him going in when and where you don't want him to. Jumping off the boat when you're going along, that sort of thing.

I am chuffed that my dog hates water, he's a husky cross and takes ages to dry and weighs a ton when wet so if he jumped off the side of the boat he would probably be a gonner (we do sea), I do often hose him down when it's hot and leave him wet to cool him better, he don't like it but seems to like the effects.

Having had 5 Rough Collies and a Border Collie at the same time, we definately didn't encourage them to go for a swim, drying those coats took hours... When they were younger, charging around and not looking where they were going, I fished them out of a canal several times, soggy smelly doggies, at least they had time to dry a bit before we got home (another 2 miles) I certainly wouldn't want a soggy doggy in the back of a car...

Really wouldn't want our dog swiming about in that crap discharged  out of the yachts etc. They really do small after!  As will the boat.

The risk of ear infections etc very likely 

There are great beaches, Sea Palling, Waxham etc, all dog friendly (take a run in the car ) the dog will love it in the shallows 

Regards John

Old labs do smell a bit after they have been in the water but they don't seem to mind.

Take care on beaches, dogs will go after seals swimming in the sea. Look out for pollution on foreshore. Palm oil. Dead fish, other wildlife.

In rivers do not throw sticks for your dog under any circumstances, use a dummy.

Choose a place where a dog can can get out unaided. Beware of ice on rivers and especially Broads. 

Never enter the water to rescue your dog, many times an owner has perished and the dog has survived.

Andrew

• Like 1

I will be honest and we had a massive (as in huge not fat) Labrador and he loved mud and water - any chance he got he was in. On some of the tidal parts of the Thames when he went in the mud he would stink like nothing on earth for ages. The water doesn't wash that smell or colour off very easily. Fortunately it was a walk home and not in the car.

Anywhere near water we had to keep him on a lead unless we knew it was safe for a swim - the first time I found out how much he loved water was when he jumped in and couldn't get out - hauling out 100lbs of soggy wet dog was not enjoyable and I only had one shot at it or he would have been a gonna.

• Like 1

Our Macie dog loves the water, no surprise there then.  However she has never do date entered a river / Broad / lake without permission as that is how she has been trained.  It is satisfying and quite comical when she comes across a body of water that she can easily enter, she stops, looks over her shoulder straight at you with her ears up just pleading to be allowed in

Griff

• Like 1

Griff, the way that appeared as a post made me start

2 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Our Macie dog loves the water, no surprise there then.  However she has never do date entered a river / Broad / lake without permission as that is how she has been trained.  It is satisfying and quite comical when she comes across a body

• Like 6

Thanks for the area's listed, He a Yorkshire Terrier & when we were down in April he was 6 months old and towards the end of the week got brave up on the side waiting to get off for a walk. He's always on the lead out of boat and life jacket on unless getting off for a walk.

Don't want to force him in but under his own steam, Looking for piece of mind of on what he's going to do, last thing I need is him wanting to jump in off the boat lol. He's a live wire. 

Wonder I didn't get reported in April for having a landing net on roof out of season, but it was for landing the dog if he went in. Melody has a fair drop to the water line and I can't reach.

• Like 1

Macie had to ask permission to get on Broad Ambition at Beccles - she didnt just assume she could nor on WR although she did appear!!!  Funny episode was at Reedham Ferry whilst eating our meal.  Some boat hirers were eating a meal, and then let their dog have a swim near the ferry...... it came out of the water and did the natural shake, sadly over a couple (in pristine white clothes) having their lunch.  The hirers were really embarassed, the couple were happy to continue eating their meal but did accept a beer in lieu.

• Like 1

There have been warnings about blue-green algae in some areas of the Broads, the toxins from the algae can be fatal to animals apparently. Having said that, I constantly see dogs having a wonderful time swimming in the rivers. Ours don't even like getting their feet wet!

Not so sure that I would let even an experienced cocker spaniel take a dive at Reedham, reckon that tide could outpace even a fit dog on occasions.

My neighbour's spaniel will leap off the quay head without hesitation, the owner simply drags her out by the scruff of the neck and the silly sod just leaps back in, she loves it! 

Lovely natured animal but the smell of damp dog, urghhh!