Re-chroming

Doe's anyone know a local company that does re-chroming at a reasonable price?? the chrome on my steering wheel is pitted and getting a bit tatty, I'm thinking of changing it for a new one, but I actually like the old one and think it would look nice re-chromed,,

Frank,,,,

Wheel.PNG

Hi Frank,

When you find a company to do the re-chroming, you may have to go far afield to get it done and you will no doubt be shocked by the price.

I have customers who have chrome sections re-chromed for their jukeboxes, the prices they tell me about are frightening.

My guess is that a new wheel will be far cheaper.

Regards

Alan

Frank,   Dig deep,  I have recently discovered the following, 

Re-chroming and reasonable never occurs in the same sentence ,, 

Very few re-chroming companies exist. 

You will be looking at 150 to 200 pounds for yours. 

I discovered a new found love  of my tatty wheel insert and decided to embrace its heritage  :(

• Like 1

Might be easier/cheaper to just get a new one!  Unless of course youve got a 1inch tapered hub (standard nowadays is 3/4inch) and thats mostly all the main retailers sell steering wheel wise. 

If you are unlucky and have a 1inch tapered hub theres a company called Stazo in Holland who can supply different types of wheel with a 1inch tapered hub adapater pre fitted.  This is what I did, I had to deal with them over the phone and wire transfer the payment but they did deliver it within a week of ordering.

I imagine to have your existing wheel re chromed the metal and wood parts would need to be seperated if thats possible to.  

You never know there may be someone around who can re chrome reasonably, try your local area to. 

You may like to try this. I saw it on TV yesterday, take a piece of ordinary aluminum Kitchen foil, and rub it over the pitting. it both cleans and leaves some aluminum in the pitting..

It was shown being done on an old chrome wheel it worked amazingly well. It might save you a lot of money.

• Like 1

What an opportune post and I am going to try the ali foil trick.

I have a couple of chrome towel rails in the bathrooms and they have a bit of pitting on them and wanted to know what the best way to clean them up was. I don't want to have to replace them as I doubt I will be able to get the exact same size to match the pipes.

Personally I put it down to the fact SWMBO has been very lax and not been polishing them in my absence and now I am left to correct her deficiencies - Ha ha she doesn't read the forum so I am safe:hardhat:

Ah Ha I'm way ahead of you lot! I've been doing the tin foil trick for a few years now! and it sort of works, by sort of I mean it shines it well and gets rid of marks, I found the Bacofoil worked best for me, I knew re-chroming wouldn't be cheap but was hoping to save it, but now it looks like I'll just get a new one and put the old one up for sale, it's not too bad but just something thats annoying me and won't look right once I build the new dash, anyway thanks for all the help,

I will have a word with my uncle he use to own rechroming and plating business in Luton he has many contacts in this field.. The only problem is it's a very expensive process so that's why the prices are so high for work to be done.. I also have a friend who has a metal polishing business..