October Half Term

Hylander

Looks like the holiday is getting into full swing.     Isnt it so much better that those darn clocks have not altered for the half term so extra day light.   Perhaps we should have a referendum and ask normal folk if they think the clocks should be altered.   After all it was done because of WW2.   Crumbs that is 70 years ago.

2016-10-23 (4).png

• Like 2

Not that I actually remember of course but I think the practice of putting the clocks forward in the UK as a daylight saving measure actually started during the Great war of 1914-18.  with double summertime, 2 hours forward,  existing during some of WW2.

However I remember clearly that in 1968 the practice stopped in the UK for 3 years as an experiment and we adopted what was known as British Standard time.

It all changed back acgain in 1971 and has continued that way since.despite regular debates on the subject.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Arthur said:

Not that I actually remember of course but I think the practice of putting the clocks forward in the UK as a daylight saving measure actually started during the Great war of 1914-18.  with double summertime, 2 hours forward,  existing during some of WW2.

However I remember clearly that in 1968 the practice stopped in the UK for 3 years as an experiment and we adopted what was known as British Standard time.

It all changed back acgain in 1971 and has continued that way since.despite regular debates on the subject.

Indeed, Arthur, caused mayhem up here, it was still dark at 10am, kids went to school in total darkness and as the winter progressed dark coming home , also. The kids wore all sorts of fluorescent safety strips, but several were injured quite badly. 

As for trying to work on building sites,it was practically impossible, as Tilley lamps were few and far available, as for 240volt generators there were few about in those days, However, the biggest problem was with the farmers especially the dairy cows. So if you wish to have a different time zone from up here, fine, but sorry we require that clock change for many reasons.

cheersIain

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

Indeed, Arthur, caused mayhem up here, it was still dark at 10am, kids went to school in total darkness and as the winter progressed dark coming home , also. The kids wore all sorts of fluorescent safety strips, but several were injured quite badly. 

As for trying to work on building sites,it was practically impossible, as Tilley lamps were few and far available, as for 240volt generators there were few about in those days, However, the biggest problem was with the farmers especially the dairy cows. So if you wish to have a different time zone from up here, fine, but sorry we require that clock change for many reasons.

cheersIain

I have to say that down here there fewer accidents, when we stayed as BST no clock changing. So maybe a different time zone north of the border might work. Well at 9am then it will still be dark when the kids go to school?

Charlie

19 minutes ago, Timbo said:

No more referenda please...last one worked out so well the next could put us in the Dark Ages! :naughty:

no Tim, the anti  nuclear, anti wind farm, anti solar brigade will do that for us, when all the existing power stations close down (some are already well past their use by dates- the replacements having been blocked by various pressure groups, or not in my backyard protesters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BroadScot said:

caused mayhem up here, it was still dark at 10am, kids went to school in total darkness and as the winter progressed dark coming home , also. The kids wore all sorts of fluorescent safety strips, but several were injured quite badly.

I was in the South  at the time Iain and it was still a case of going to school in the dark.

Of course you have to take into consideration that the school day was a lot longer back then.

For us the school day stated at 0845 and did not finish untill 4pm

That was just the time at school there was still the walk there and back.

Thses days, certainnly round here, most of the schools finish around 3pm and some even earlier.

• Like 2

There were no school buses for local kids then, they did what they should be doing today walking to school.!

52 minutes ago, LeoMagill said:

They already have a different time zone north of the border, I think it's the 17th century....

I will treat that remark with the contempt it deserves. As I said, if you wish to have no clock change then fine by me, just don't ask us to join in!

cheersIain.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

There were no school buses for local kids then, they did what they should be doing today walking to school.!

Yes Iian

There was also a rule in our area that you had to live at least 2 miles away to be permitted to cycle to school.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BroadScot said:

cheersIain

I was a young man installing some milling machines in Aberdeen for Elliotts. It was for the maintenence of North Sea industry.

The non changing was an absolute nightmare.

• Like 1

So why can't farmers, schools, businesses just change working hours? That way it doesn't screw everything up?

i am sure even with the clock change many will still start and end their day in darkness!

i had to put the nav lights on at 8 am on Sunday. But the weather was just pants!!!!

Europe used to change about two weeks different to us such that we had the same time zone for a short while every year. This was very good for my Commercial Department as they then had another TWO hours to trade with Europe.

Now here is the latest:

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/2016.html

no It's not just us,

the USA has changed it's times in the past,

Russia has also in the past

China does not

Austrailia and New Zeeland do change their times.

Chile  has just stopped changing their time

Canada does change it's time.

most of the equator countries do not change thier time.

13 hours ago, Hylander said:

Now this is awful to ask,  but does the whole world change their clocks or is just us lot.    If Scotland went independent it could have its own time zone.

Australia changes clock time around the same time as we do only they go back when we go forward and vice versa.