An 'ex-spurt' In The Nbn

Sometimes I really do marvel at the depth of knowledge and chosen fields that plenty of the NBN forumites excel in.

Before I go any further, do you know the definition of an 'Expert' - No?   Well I'll tell you - an 'Ex' is a 'Has Been' and a 'Spurt' is a 'Drip under Pressure'  -  there that's that explained nicely

From the many posts that get political, often concerning the BA and their  'Management' of the Broads, what with the research the forumites do, then pass their knowledge / opinions onto the rest of us

Then there is the 'Tupperware' brigade that advise us on how to maintain, clean and manage plastic boats

Then there is the 'Woody' brigade that have age old knowledge that they also impart with the rest of us freely with no course for acknowledgement

The Rag-n-Stick brigade that despite their best efforts to p1ss the rest of us right off - fail to do so and make us exceedingly jealous with their gorgeous craft under full sail

The Angling fraternity

The wildlife fraternity

The Historical Broads fraternity

The Current Affairs fraternity

The Hire boat fraternity

The Photographic fraternity

The Private ownership boat fraternity

The Comical fraternity

And lots more topics that all and sundry that go to make up what is a diverse and friendly place read, to learn and enjoy

Some forumites are 'Expert' in more than one discipline too (Show offs)

But for me there is one forumite that stands out head and shoulders above the rest.  He's an all rounder (Literally) very well educated, informed and exceedingly good at getting his point of view across to the rest of us.  In person he is quiet, often referred to as shy and slow at coming forward.  Rarely will he approach you to start off a conversation unless he knows you, but get him going and he's off.  Also rarely does he upset anyone with views, he seems to 'Have that way' of just sort of conversing with many without rubbing anyone up the wrong way. He is both generous with his time, knowledge (And yes his wallet in small ways).   He is a pleasure to be in the company off.  The one field he really excels in is his 'Captains Blogs'  He does this for no personal gain, but imparts his wisdom and impartial views to both the beginner and seasoned boater alike.  He spends hundreds of hours editing and putting together his blogs.   When you consider his 'Work' (Hobby then) is all self taught and the high standard he achieves, it is quite amazing.  Indeed some commercial hire boat companies have recognised his talents and approach him often.

For me personally - And I have to admit here I have a biased view - his 'Blogs' of 'B.A' have been outstanding.  Trying to pick my three very best favourites is no easy task but I have had a go all the same, and if I had to pick just one it would be 'Beyond The Harbour' followed by 'Broad Ambition, Fit For a Queen' then MTB102,  They are just my biased favourites.

I hope I haven't embarrassed him to much with this post - but then again I hope I have, and he deserves it.

Griff

• Like 13

I personally get somewhat weary of being described as an owner of a plastic Tupperware boat.Very rarely post but this attitude will convince me that this is not the forum to read.There you go rant over.

Well may I respectfully suggest that you are being a tad over-sensitive then? 'Tupperware' is a term of endearment, just as the term used for woodies ' Bio-degradable' is used in the same manner.

Griff

• Like 8

We all poke a bit of fun at each other for most of the time. That's the nature of forums, but far more importantly that's the nature of friendship. Goodness knows what the "rag & stick" fraternity would feel like if they took such comments as a personal slight.

However, what we say and what we feel are very often different. I remember coming in to moor at Ranworth staithe on one occasion where I could see a spot near the far end of the 'bay' bit. I was in my 25' sea master St. Christopher. I gently pootled into the bay, turned stern on to the space and came in on tickover with very gentle squirts of power toi correct the steering. Tying up the moorings, the people on the boat next to me said "Nice to see it done properly."

What really made the praise so valuable to me and made my head swell was that they were sailies! true praise indeed.!!!

So! I own a Tupperware boat, (but luckily not a bathtub!) and am happy to hear it called such, as long as the person speaking means no offense. I take 'no offense' as the default value  of anything anyone ever says to me.

People really have to try hard to offend me. I take 'no offence meant' as the norm. If that cannot fit, it moves to "let it go, He's just having a bad day" and from there to "I'm sure he didn't really mean that". Only if I can't find any way that what has been said was meant, and was meant to be spiteful, do I take it as offensive to me.

I find life is a lot more pleasant that way. so my advice will always be to make like a hippy, let it all hang loose man and chill!

• Like 12

40 minutes ago, oceandawn said:

I for one would never feel ' ex purt' on anything boating .That would simply be unattainable.

Now there I agree with you. The fascination of boating is that you never stop learning how to do it.

The point of this thread, however, is that Griff has had the generosity to express his opinion (very well) of someone who is indeed very important to this forum and to the Broads themselves.

I have already described Robin as a "modern" Broadsman. It's all very well for us old codgers to go on about how it was in the old days, and to lament what we see as modern mis-management by those in authority who seem not to care. Robin can see the Broads through modern eyes and can also see where modern technology can be of help in their future. People like him are the real future of the Broads from now on, so keep up the good work Robin and thank you. We need more of you!

• Like 3

Absolutely correct but it is  how  the comments are perceived.People buy different types of boats for many different reasons personal and practical and in my opinion we are all  lucky to be boat owners no matter  what the type or model.It also brings people together as strangers with one common denominator.The beautiful Broads.Where else would you speak to perfect strangers?My dream boat would be one of the Broom Admirals.The first holiday on the Broads whilst still school in the sixties.Could we afford to purchase and maintain such a boat _ Yes. Have we got  the time to devote to such a vessel-No. Not being local to Norfolk knowing our boat is not likely  to sink if the hull fails is paramount.

• Like 1

Oi! whats wrong with plastic boats? I'm proud of mine, much better and cheaper to maintain than those pallet wood ones, look! with boats it's all about learning, people like Griff know lots about the problems with wooden boats, others about rag and sticks and many others about plastic boats, that dosn't make anyone of us an expert, in my case I've owned 7 plastic boats over 35 years, and rebuilt all of them, it dosn't make me an expert but it qualifies me to comment  and advise on certain problems or fixes because I've had most of them myself, and most of the stuff I do know I've either learned to fix the hard way or been given good advise from others, and forums like this, if you take my 35 years and add it to a few of the others on here it only takes about 10 people and you'll  have a combined knowledge of 500  years, (see where I'm going) so it's nothing to do with experts it's about experiance, you may get 20 comments on how to do or fix something, but I bet at least one of them will be right, now back to Google to look at plastic composite planking so I can build a plastic wooden boat,,  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

So! I own a Tupperware boat, (but luckily not a bathtub!) and am happy to hear it called such, as long as the person speaking means no offense. I take 'no offense' as the default value  of anything anyone ever says to me.

And what is wrong with a bathtub?? As has been said, different boats for different people for different reasons. Why poke fun (indirectly admittedly) at any design/construction of vessel? I can see why folk do get upset at some comments made however light-hearted those comments may be. We can't always have what we want and sometimes have to go for something that is practical for us rather than 'swish'. Maybe that's where the problem is, it just takes a little bit of thought when voicing opinions or even bantering I think. When new people join the forum, they don't know who banters or who likes to wind others up! :hardhat:

• Like 1

Something I must just add. In all the blogs LondonRascal has done, I don't think I have ever heard him be disparaging and I reckon that is part of the appeal for many of his 'fans'. He just 'tells it how it is' and gives us oldies a modern view of the Broads. Long may it continue. :Stinky

• Like 2

Hi Vanessan I think you have got the point exactly.Why do some people feel the need to pick  fun. I just don't see the need for it.For the majority of boat owners the sacrifices that they make to keep their pride and joy is considerable be it a 5k boat or a 250k one.I think what made me respond to BA's post was that it is a  common theme and from previous posts I  don't get the impression that it is a term of endearment.Don't usually get involved in this whole social media thing as it can get out of hand so having made my point it is time to let it go.For the record I too have read and enjoyed the Rascal's reviews and I am sure that many boaters have made informed decisions about which boat to hire because of his reviews.

• Like 1

Not being well just now, I am catching up on all the threads, and I cannot see any nastiness from Griff's original thread. Indeed I would say its par for the course of this and many other forums. A bit of banter and name playing never damaged anyone, I should know, I get mugged on here, OFTEN !:naughty:

Oceandawn, please take the comments with a pinch of salt. Please.

cheersIain

• Like 5

oceandawn - what Broad Scot has said is right, banter never did hurt anyone. What I have tried to get across is that not everyone sees it as banter, seems I failed! I have looked at Broads forums for many years and got quite uptight in the past at some of the things that were said. Knowing now the folk who banter and being able to distinguish them from those who deliberately set out to cause offence makes a world of difference. I have always thought that there must be people out there who have steered clear of forums because of some of the chat that goes on. Not everyone is thick-skinned! Try and take what is said lightly, add your bit and enjoy the camaraderie. We all have something to offer, if there weren't people with plastic boats or rags and sticks or stuck together planks on here, there wouldn't be the expertise that is so happily shared. cheersbar

• Like 6

12 hours ago, oceandawn said:

I personally get somewhat weary of being described as an owner of a plastic Tupperware boat.Very rarely post but this attitude will convince me that this is not the forum to read.There you go rant over.

I bought my boat, Jenny Morgan, way back in 1978, at a time when tupperware sailing boats were still a rarity. Gosh, did I get my leg pulled! Not only is she plastic but also has two masts, still rare on the Broads, we were referred to as the Pilgrim Fathers, the Tupperware Navy, Plastic Fantastic, those being some of the names that came our way. Never any malice, just good natured leg pulling. 

I've often regretted not keeping a Caribbean hire boat that I once owned. I think if I had kept her then I'd have replaced the forward cleats with taps, one hot and one cold. There was already a plug in the forward well. As for the name, obvious really, Armitage Shanks! 

Sometimes we need to be able to laugh at ourselves.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I bought my boat, Jenny Morgan, way back in 1978, at a time when tupperware sailing boats were still a rarity. Gosh, did I get my leg pulled! Not only is she plastic but also has two masts, still rare on the Broads, we were referred to as the Pilgrim Fathers, the Tupperware Navy, Plastic Fantastic, those being some of the names that came our way. Never any malice, just good natured leg pulling. 

I've often regretted not keeping a Caribbean hire boat that I once owned. I think if I had kept her then I'd have replaced the forward cleats with taps, one hot and one cold. There was already a plug in the forward well. As for the name, obvious really, Armitage Shanks! 

Sometimes we need to be able to laugh at ourselves.

When the boatyards in Thorpe first saw the Wilds Caribbean coming up the river, in the 60s, we called it the "79 bus" because that was the single decker that came through Thorpe every 20 minutes, on its way to Norwich. This design, of course, went on to be effectively, the saviour of the hire boat business and indeed, of Broads boating. Where would we be today, if it were not for the Tupperware bathtub?

I intend to buy a boat on the Broads next year. It will be Tupperware, for practical reasons, and I will be proud to own it, especially if it happens to be such a classic design as the Broom Ocean 30.

My sadness is that such a generous and gentlemanly gesture as Griff has made to Robin should have been so rapidly hidden behind an inconsequential personal issue.

• Like 7

Was the Caribbean really the saviour of the hire fleet? I'm not convinced. They were all one level, great for our young family, but that was the problem, folk onboard couldn't see over the reeds. I well remember a 70's post card, the caption of which was 'I've seen the Broads, the picture was reeds, just reeds.

We only had one Caribbean in our fleet, she had the shortest season of our eighteen boats, she attracted less repeat business than any of our fleet. Again and again the comment was the same, 'all we saw was reeds'. Coincidently the Broads hire industry went into a steep decline during the mid seventies. 

14 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Was the Caribbean really the saviour of the hire fleet? I'm not convinced. They were all one level, great for our young family, but that was the problem, folk onboard couldn't see over the reeds. I well remember a 70's post card, the caption of which was 'I've seen the Broads, the picture was reeds, just reeds.

We only had one Caribbean in our fleet, she had the shortest season of our eighteen boats, she attracted less repeat business than any of our fleet. Again and again the comment was the same, 'all we saw was reeds'. Coincidently the Broads hire industry went into a steep decline during the mid seventies. 

I find that rather strange. It seems to me nowadays that Richardson's Horizon and Gem bathtubs remain extremely popular, particularly with the fishing fraternity. 

10 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I find that rather strange. It seems to me nowadays that Richardson's Horizon and Gem bathtubs remain extremely popular, particularly with the fishing fraternity. 

I suppose they are now relatively cheap and cheerful and us fishermen are nearly all poor!.

My experience is back to the 1970s when Hoseasons & Wilds were selling them via a lease/purchase agreement with so many guaranteed lets, perhaps the price was high back then to accommodate for that. We sold ours pretty much as soon as the purchase period was up. I missed her, our accountants and engineer didn't. The hydraulic drives back then weren't anything to write home about. All our other boats were shaft driven.