Tudor Reformation

Timbo

I dunno...you accidentally nick a man's teabags, leave him a kettle but bring the stove home with you...and he shakes your boat to bits!:facepalm:

It's a problem with the Robin Hood doofah and needs a pipey type wotsit although Dave reports that starting the engine has opened her up again and she is currently pumping every three minutes but just on the one pump. Poor old Dave is babysitting RT again tonight sleeping in his 'locked' car...'locked' so I don't ask Griff to nip round and shave his eyebrows off!

Thank you everyone for everything you have done to get RT back on the water. Even though we still have a lot of work to do...the old girl is looking very glamorous indeed!

DSC_0259-EFFECTS.jpg

I'm off to bed clutching a bag of frozen peas to my neck having burnt in the sun, full reports and videos...oh yes there are lots of videos, over the next day or so! 

• Like 5

RT has survived her second night afloat without issue. We still have this torrent along her keel each side but it is slowing a tad now. Elsewhere she continues to close seams in one area and open them further along as bits return to their intended size, just not all at the same time!

As I went to check her around five ish I could hear an absolute torrent of water being pumped. Of course you fear the worst but it turned out the yacht next door and RT were pumping at the same time. With everything being so quiet and still the noise was amplified dramatically!

I have had the absolute pleasure of watching owls in the dawn light though.  Such a wonderful spectacle as they passed within just a few feet of the car and something I would never normally get the chance to see.

Time to find a bacon roll methinks 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

'I wanna tell you a story'.     In the early 60's my dad bought a timber boat, she was called "Useful" and I believe had previously been the Whitstable harbour launch.  She was about 30' long.

He bought to use as a fishing boat in our free time off Herne Bay where she was kept on a wet mooring.

She had a Kelvin petrol/parraffin engine and the starter dog was so worn that when I tried to start her the starting handle would fly out and smash your knuckles on the engine bearers.  Anyway we used her for the first summer and he decided to have her out the briny, fit a new engine and totally re-vamp her.

She was taken to a large building about half mile from the sea.  Work began.  A brand new BMC Captain was supplied and fitted by a local garage and a lot more work carried out by carpenters and painters (who happened to work for dad as he was a builder).

When the work was finished she would have passed for a new boat, she looked magnificent!

Time came for re-launching on Easter weekend the following year.  She was towed to Neptune Jetty at Herne Bay and at high tide she was slowly pushed into the water - I will never forget that day - it was quite sunny,  bit of swell and loads of people watching the launch.  When we got to the stage that the water intake was below water the engine was started and we came astern off the trolley and headed for the mooring which was the other side of the pier.

It was not long before water started to be flicked up by the prop shaft as it passed through the new floor boards that had been fitted.  We were about 450 yards offshore.  I said to dad 'they have not connected the water outlet' how wrong I was!

There was a massive brass hand pump fitted which I tried to use but that did not work.  By this time we had sea water over our ankles and were obviously going to sink.

I headed back to shore and we started waving and shouting at our launch crew who were still at the jetty, to which they and most of the other onlookers waved back!

Now the water was up to our knees and it was getting a bit frightening.  I aimed for the beach next to the jetty and beached her, just in time I think.  One of the local boatmen came over and said - 'How long did you soak her for?'

Puzzled looks on both our faces and we said, what...............................................?

About 10 or more 50 gallon drums with the tops cut out, were taken to the beach and pumped full of seawater on the next high tide and my dads yardman stayed with the boat and kept filling her with water as far as the lower part of the engine until she took up.  In that time the hand bilge pump was repaired!

Anyway, after I think around a week she was re-launched and taken to her mooring and probably only made about a gallon a week thereafter.

For those that read this, I hope you enjoyed it.  A lot was learned, and yes, we were very lucky and I will never forget it!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Sorry peeps, been a tad busy to do updates but have been chastised accordingly :default_sad:

RT continues to filter the upper Thurne at a rate the water board would be proud of. One pump does most of the work but it's starting to sound a bit rough so I will be changing it over this evening. 

We have a slowing of one of the major leaks which is encouraging as well. She does still need supervision though, debris blocking pumps has been a major factor over the last couple of days with a clean out needed every couple of hours or so. 

We will be making a decision in the morning as to whether we head for that bridge and onwards to Stalham. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5.30 am and the pump is still fairly regular. I arrived late last night to assist in the babysitting of RT we are considering options for the bridge passage. Now off to time that pump.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm thinking the bridge passage really dependant upon Ian's patience with us on turn around day. Doug will be down with fresh batteries after work, I think that's what he said but Doug will pop down after work. My personal preference is to let the old girl take up for as long as she possibly can and to have another boat available 'just in case' so that we can tow her if need be. I'd hate to have something happen at the bottom of the Thurne and not to have help available. I would also like to have the cameras rolling when we shoot that bridge for sentimental reasons...I thought I'd bring Uncle Albert down for the trip :default_norty:

I've ordered a new bilge pump, which has been posted to me, from Aberwristwatch in Wales I think.

What are the pump timings like Peter and has Dave got some sleep? I know he has that 'young David Coverdale' thing going on, where I have a 'Compo from Last of the Summer Wine' thing happening, but I think we must look after our nominees for the old coots club! :default_biggrin: Give him some chocolate Peter!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

RT has been moderated! 

Having been monitoring, timing and clearing her pumps all day with little significant change in water flow quantities, I gave Peter a guided tour of the boat when he arrived. After a chat I timed the pump again only to discover it was slowing down!

Seems, just like us, RT knows not to mess with a moderator!

• Haha 4