Tudor Reformation

Timbo

The little boy is from a family who regularly hired RT. The date is 1963 and the place is Belaugh. RT had a varnished hull right up until the 70's. Photo's from 1965 show her with a varnished hull as do photo's from the changes to her cockpit around 1972 possibly later.

Royal_Tudor_Hoveton_19701.jpg

The first photo I have of her with a painted hull is from her 1982 brochure entry.

9 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Tartan had a three piece screen from new btw. I do prefer the two piece with the two piece cabin front though, much cleaner.

I have to admit the original does look much better as does the original cockpit roof configuration.

I guess the current roof configuration would take two people to lower as you need someone each side to roll the top back, Nipper has a lightweight roof supported on two arms and the screen it only takes one person 2 minutes to lower and I can do it on the move should we approach a bridge unprepared.

• Like 1

Dave has a point in assessing my current abilities and what I may/may not be able to do in the future should I have another big 'do'. RT's current configuration is a two-man job. It also means a lot of 'clutter' on the aft roof with canvas and beams as well as on the deck. Those cabin sides take up most of the deck when they are folded down, so when I'm on deck I'm walking with just my toes on deck.

I'm thinking a light cockpit roof, like Nippers, on two arms would be easier to put up and down on my own, I will be doing a fair amount of solo cruising, would reduce the amount of stuff flapping about on the aft roof and would allow me to get those cockpit sides snug to the cabin to give me...and Dylan...space to move around on those narrow decks?

I'm also thinking some sapele and plywood would be cheaper and sturdier than the £600 we've just been quoted for a new canopy?

• Thanks 1

My choice would be the solid roof on arms but.... if it ain't easy to use you won't use it, whichever way you go with it. 

The solid roof could have a winch included at a later date to aid lifting whereas the canvas will always need two people.

if you want large sheets in thin ply (from 0.6mm thick) here is a good source, though large in this case may be 1250 x1250mm (4 foot square)

https://www.aircraftplywoodandtimber.co.uk/birch-plywood.html though their prices are eye wateringly high (you pay dearly for aircraft grade plywood - like boats)

https://www.aircraftplywoodandtimber.co.uk/aircraft-wood-price-list.pdf

a curved frame for the roof, skinned both sides  with thin ply would be very light, insulation could be added between the two skins, and leave a smooth surface inside and out. reinforcement at the mounting points of the canopy arms could be built in, a skin of 25 or 50g fibreglass and epoxy on the outer surface would effectively strengthen and waterproof the whole (model making techniques being used here).

So I've been toying with the idea of putting RT back to having a solid rood and now that I've had all of the quotes back from various canopy makers, chatting with the professionals and interested parties and looking at what supplies I already have...a solid roof is the way that I'm going to go. In an ideal world, I would like to put RT back to her original configuration
40435615_289886711602371_6736346729907486720_n.jpg

RT at Belaugh in 1963...Lulu was closest!

1960-Promo_2.jpg1960-Promo_1.jpg
RT in 1960...note the horn bolted to the cabin sides...that's what those brass bolts still there are for!

B-Tw2y5IQAAwB4n.jpg
I don't know where but RT in 1965 with the roof up! And no, I'm not painting all the yellow coaching lines around the windows or the rubbing strakes!
21769021_1482774681810788_1347223487_o.jpg

Once again RT in 1965!

...so I know we don't live in an ideal world, and RT, as we know, is somewhat obstinate so I'm looking at a compromise.

Looking around my timber store...the back bedroom/office/computer room/editing suite/product set...I have a sheet of  8 x 4, 4mm hardwood ply...the good stuff.  I think, think I have one plank left of 22mm thick, 6 inch wide or I may have taken this down to the boat already? I also have various short lengths of mahogany and sapele. Several more planks for sapele will be considerably cheaper than spending £600 on a canvas canopy.

So what I'm thinking is making a compromise and keeping RT's current windscreen and cockpit sides and making a hard top to fit them. However, I would like to construct it in a manner that makes the cockpit sides fit more snugly to the cabin when folded down to maximise the amount of space on deck.

• Like 1

I would go for hardwood roof beams - teak or oak - presumably steamed to shape.

You can then form and fix a thickness of ply over the beams and then glue and fix a second thickness to it. I think they call this "cold moulding"?

Hearts Cruisers used to make all fore-decks, cabin tops and canopies this way. It is strong and light.

Finish off with a suitable deck covering and wood trims.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Timbo said:

, I would like to put RT back to her original configuration
 And no, I'm not painting all the yellow coaching lines around the windows or the rubbing strakes!

Conflicting remarks there Timbo

Go on you know you want to really

Ive heard your very good with masking tape:20_kissing_smiling_eyes:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Polly said:

Go Fast Stripes? A ‘must’ . We are in the wetshed tonight, I’ll just wander over and paint them on for you. No trouble, no don’t bother to thank me.:default_biggrin:

She'll look a bit different to last time you saw her...inside and out! :default_biggrin:

• Like 1