Peace At Last

Broadsword

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
Just now, MauriceMynah said:

Sounds like a fair deal. You run your engine and I'll slacken me frap.  

Maurice, illusions of grandeur, you don't have a frap or one of these :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:you have one of these :default_stinky::default_smiley-taunt014:

18 hours ago, Broadsword said:

Or usual 'first night' stop at Womack spoiled by neighbour running engine for no less than 90 minutes... Noise and diesel fumes during dinner... Finally stopped and we now remember why we like it here. 

Up the sailies!:594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

My sympathies, just had the Peak District version, 90 minutes of tuneless bell ringing.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I know this has been done before on here , many times I'm sure. But the hire yards do suggest that if your batteries are needing a boost that you run your engine. 

The wind and deisel powered boats have shared the broads for a long time, they both belong there. Sailies clink like mad all night , diesels cause some reek at times . None of it is really worth getting your mooring lines in a twist over.

A huge percentage of the people I encounter on the broads are , friendly, considerate and most importantly happy.

I would imagine most people don't realise they are causing others stress with a bit noise and fumes, a friendly chat would most likely resolve the issue most times I would like to think.

• Like 7

As you say, it has been done many times... But, I do frap my halyards, just saying... We sit in a small fairly open yacht and then chummy (who one might suppose has already been running his engine much of the day) moors up and belches fumes over us for 90 minutes. If a Broads boat needs that, then it is a cr*p boat imho. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

But the hire yards do suggest that if your batteries are needing a boost that you run your engine

Fine. But why do it stationary, with your exhaust belching over a small sailing boat? Turn round, motor up the river, anything really!!

• Like 3

We moor at Horning and have been very annoyed to have inflicted on us some kind of very loud drum and bass marathon over the last two nights, not finishing until around 2am.   And here was me thinking that the Broads were meant to be an area of peace and tranquility.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broadsword said:

As you say, it has been done many times... But, I do frap my halyards, just saying... We sit in a small fairly open yacht and then chummy (who one might suppose has already been running his engine much of the day) moors up and belches fumes over us for 90 minutes. If a Broads boat needs that, then it is a cr*p boat imho. 

Totally agree I can recharge my 6 domestic battery's from what I take out over night in a lot less than that and get full 40 liters of hot water too , and that's a boat that use's an inverter to power the TV which I watch a lot , the reason is its equipped with a  decent alternator and advanced regulator and I charge them by cruising not annoying anyone .

29 minutes ago, SteveO said:

We moor at Horning and have been very annoyed to have inflicted on us some kind of very loud drum and bass marathon over the last two nights, not finishing until around 2am.   And here was me thinking that the Broads were meant to be an area of peace and tranquility.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I think you will find that noise emulated from land rather than a boat , its been a very hot topic on various FB sites .

2 hours ago, SteveO said:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

2am is of course a different kettle of fish all together. You have my sympathy, even more so if it's that drum and bass techno nonsense. 

Did you report it? Was anything done about it?

It was the same at Irstead this weekend just gone. Twice we wild moored and twice there were a gang of yobs on a boat very nearby playing loud music until 3am. When I say load, I mean loud - it drowned out my TV.  Saw a couple of HW boats go past about 11am sunday doing about 9mph and with 2 big PA speakers mounted on the Bow, so guess they must be the prime suspects. All I can say to them, whomever they were, is thanks a lot for shattering my peace and I hope your holiday was terrible.

rant over. Dont usually react that way but just been doing 10 days of 12 hours straight at work and was so looking forward to a relaxing weekend. I think i will paint my boat grey, register it with an HMS prefix and mount a 4 inch gun on the bow.......... now wheres that registration form.....????

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, TheQ said:

My own particular hatred, is Broads tours going down the river with a disco on board blaring out the music from speakers facing out to the outside world.

Mine to, especially when they are dragging it out and travelling at about 2mph. You can hear it from miles away getting louder and louder, then going away for ever. 

One of the worst places I know is if you are weighted in Blackhorse, still it could be worse you could own property along there.

Friends had a riverside property, actually a really beautiful house near Old Windsor and the "Riverboat Shuffles" drove them to sell it.

• Sad 2

26 minutes ago, TheQ said:

My own particular hatred, is Broads tours going down the river with a disco on board blaring out the music from speakers facing out to the outside world.

Moored on the edge of South Walsham Broad I need howl with laughter one night when the disco boat turned up.
"Everybody, everybody! It's Grandma Agnes' Birthday today. She's 86 years young. She's asked us to play SLow Boat To China, but instead here's the Prodigy I'm a Fire Starter!' says the DJ over the mic.
Sat on a chair on her own, being ignored by everyone else on the boat was a little old lady with a facial expression that would kill mould when the music started!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 9/10/2017 at 16:55, Broadsword said:

I am only quoting Broadsword as an example.        When us unexperienced (of that particular hire boat)    hire a boat ,   we dont know how the batteries will stand up to being used.  We are not aware if it has 2 or 22 batteries on board.    We can only go by what we are told.    Most of us are only on the boat for a week and it takes a few days to get the feel of a boat and to know what she will do or not as the case may be.   So may be a little understanding on all sides.       

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Moored on the edge of South Walsham Broad I need howl with laughter one night when the disco boat turned up.
"Everybody, everybody! It's Grandma Agnes' Birthday today. She's 86 years young. She's asked us to play SLow Boat To China, but instead here's the Prodigy I'm a Fire Starter!' says the DJ over the mic.
Sat on a chair on her own, being ignored by everyone else on the boat was a little old lady with a facial expression that would kill mould when the music started!

Terrible ,   I am all for the elderly and what harm would it have done to play what the old lady wanted.   What is so comforting to know is all these people as above will be old one day and I hope they get treated the same.

• Like 2