Grim Meal Experience

troutman62

Went last Sunday to an established Wroxham eatery. What a mistake ! 

Fish n chips , the fish the size of a large battered fish finger and the waiter stank of B.O . The guy on the carvery had zilch customer skills and  was grumpy.

As we were leaving, the table next door were served decent fish portions and when this was questioned i was told thats how its sold to them. Dont  they know that bulk fish sizes can be specified  i.e. 6oz 8oz portions ?

I wish i dare name this place but would probably be sued.

Bless 'em they were very busy, but never again.

I once had a grim meal experience on the Broads. It was our last night afloat onboard Royal Tudor with Uncle Albert and my daughter Holly as crew. Uncle Albert was a finicky eater,  and as a diabetic, I had to make sure he ate properly every day. During the last two weeks, I'd provided a dishes ranging from Hunter's Chicken to Liver and Onions, Ham salads to freshly made madras to steak and kidney suet pudding. All made from scratch, so we had quite a lot of fresh provisions that were going to be put in the bin the following day. Holly volunteered to make the evening meal. She was fifteen and I'd never eaten anything she had cooked before, but having been brought up helping me in the kitchen and her Grandmother being a cook, I was looking forward to tea.

"I've used the leftovers!" said Holly.
We had stir fry for tea. Lettuce, tomato, cucumber and radish and boiled egg stir fry, topped with corned dog and tuna. For pudding, we had milk-soaked bread with a melted Mars Bar and cornflakes. Uncle Albert, who had criticised every meal put in front of him for two weeks, looked at his plate...and ate the lot without a murmur. I then turned to the washing up...and decided that my best course of action was throwing the pans away. Apparently 'hot salad' takes quite a bit of boiling and frying to get the radishes soft.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I have never had a grim meal on the Broads, not even at the Potter H'am chippy. I have certainly had meals that were less than special, both North & South. One particular pub piled ultra bland food high onto a plate, it was passable at best & I wrote and said so on Trip Advisor. No, I hadn't had an unnatural relationship with the Mother Superior but judging by some of the indignant responses you would think that I had! When it comes to food, perhaps more than most things, it seems that people's expectations vary enormously.  For some quantity is their yardstick, for others it's quality, the way of the world.  It's rare that both criteria come together, but it does happen,  St Olave's Bell & Sonia at Surlingham Ferry immediately spring to mind for example.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I have never had a grim meal on the Broads, not even at the Potter H'am chippy. I have certainly had meals that were less than special, both North & South. One particular pub piled ultra bland food high onto a plate, it was passable at best & I wrote and said so on Trip Advisor. No, I hadn't had an unnatural relationship with the Mother Superior but judging by some of the indignant responses you would think that I had!

It's interesting how criticism of 'certain'  establishments on the Broads seems to attract  ire and wrath from others like nowhere else. (Not noticed it greatly on here).

Are these supporters getting free beer or something ? :default_norty:

Put a comment on Trip Advisor as management of these establishments read and answer these comments.Had a bad meal at a well known Brewers Fayre and wrote and complained and now have a £40 voucher to spend which expires the day after my birthday. If your complaint is justified you should be compensated. Write to the management,no good complaining to the waiting staff, they don't give a monkeys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

It's interesting how criticism of 'certain'  establishments on the Broads seems to attract  ire and wrath from others like nowhere else. (Not noticed it greatly on here).

Are these supporters getting free beer or something ? :default_norty:

Back in Speaker's Corner days it was even down to one particular table!

• Like 3