Ferry Inn Horning Do I Hear £1 ? Anyone ?

Snowy

Just now, Chelsea14Ian said:

Not sure big chains don't

go for the broads. In fact can't think  of any on the water.There are many in Norwich for example. Due mainly  down to being in the  city

That kind of reinforces the point: there is just not the return from a Broads Pub.

There’s no denying it’s a seasonal business, but with the right person behind it

it could be a gold mine, like many seasonal businesses up and down the country

the broads is still busy enough to attract enough clients 

I for one always stop there, I know the food is not top notch, and it’s very much feed the masses 

but you know that’s what your getting

but if it closed and was boarded up 

I would not feel guilty as I feel I’m doing my bit

• Like 1

Since it's a good central location for a pub on the North, Thinking you owners out of season they need to give it a function like games night or quiz, party nights to make a it a meeting point for get togethers, Keep food to basket meals for fast turn round etc.

7 minutes ago, troutman62 said:

Aah ! 

Basket meals , why not indeed , cheap n' cheerful , why do pubs have to try and emulate this masterchef crap and fail miserably ?

Tiny portions, smears on the plate and twills for Gods sake. 

Get back to basics and cut the overheads.

I agree!

Never mind all the "goujons" and the "jus" - what about a good old steak and kidney, or a fish pie, followed by trifle and custard?

Pheasant would be nice though, in season. You never seem to get that on local menus, any more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I agree!

Never mind all the "goujons" and the "jus" - what about a good old steak and kidney, or a fish pie, followed by trifle and custard?

Pheasant would be nice though, in season. You never seem to get that on local menus, any more.

Also consider that customer expectations of "Pub Grub" has risen beyond belief, unreasonably in my opinion. In years gone by, It used to be enough for it to be simple and well cooked but not now.  How many times have you heard people order from a Pub menu "can I have saute potatoes instead of chips?, is that a rocket salad? etc etc. If you want an a la carte meal go to to an a la carte restaurant and pay for that service. Should the unfortunate Publican not comply with these demands they get a bad write up on Trip Advisor by the Professional Complaining Brigade. The Publicans have my sympathy and I can understand why they maybe don't want to do it anymore.

I could quite easily see the pub being knocked down, after all it's not a historic building after being bombed and later burnt down there can't be a lot left of the original 1835 pub and absolutley nothing of the 1040AD Mead hall.... As for replacement buildings a line of chalets on stilts matching what's along the rest of the river would probably pass the planner.

However in this case, I think the pub chain is selling the pub for the cash, when you get reports like this https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2017/09/01/HSBC-pub-market-report-2017

I would bet they are selling out to build up cash reserves, as many pubcos are heavily in debt.

10 hours ago, Philosophical said:

Also consider that customer expectations of "Pub Grub" has risen beyond belief, unreasonably in my opinion. In years gone by, It used to be enough for it to be simple and well cooked but not now.  How many times have you heard people order from a Pub menu "can I have saute potatoes instead of chips?, is that a rocket salad? etc etc. If you want an a la carte meal go to to an a la carte restaurant and pay for that service. Should the unfortunate Publican not comply with these demands they get a bad write up on Trip Advisor by the Professional Complaining Brigade. The Publicans have my sympathy and I can understand why they maybe don't want to do it anymore.

I can remember when a two course meal at the Ferry was when you got mustard on your pork pie, back when it was an establishment I'd cross the river to visit. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stumpy said:

I can remember when a two course meal at the Ferry was when you got mustard on your pork pie, back when it was an establishment I'd cross the river to visit. 

About right, some posh pubs used to have pickle as well.

And everyone went home/back to the boat happy. 

Well if I win the Euro this week I will buy the plot, and turn the river frontage over to the BA for 24hr moorings. The pub will be knocked down and a nice family leisure/picnic area created with maybe a tearoom/café to run during the main season.

Wish me luck :default_biggrin:

11 minutes ago, 40something said:

Well if I win the Euro this week I will buy the plot, and turn the river frontage over to the BA for 24hr moorings. The pub will be knocked down and a nice family leisure/picnic area created with maybe a tearoom/café to run during the main season.

Wish me luck :default_biggrin:

Or just keep the moorings and install a parking meter :-)

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1