Dee And Mike

Candy2blue

15 minutes ago, Candy2blue said:

Hi we are looking at buying a boat on the broads any useful information gratefully received , also just had a survey done on one and it said about oil in oil tray and oily water in bilges what is this ? And is it something we should be concerned about ? 

Depends how much oil and where it’s coming from, is it a fibreglass boat if so the bilge should be dry.  Could just be down to poor maintenance, I looked at a broom skipper before buying Nipper and the engine tray was full of water and oil the reply I received when asked why “oh I forgot to clean it” I walked away.

Doug.

• Thanks 1

Hi Doug yes it's a fibreglass boat an ex hire one , this is why we a little concerned as was led to believe that ex hire boats are well maintained and looked after also crevice corrosion on exhaust hull fitting ? (Don't know if this is something to worry about ) batteries were flat also so electrics could not be tested 

Doesnt sound terribly well presented for a boat that is up for sale. Everything should work and generally speaking the bilges be clean and dry on a vessel that is hoping to be sold. Unless there is a very good reason for all of this i would be inclined to walk away. Sounds like it could have been laid up and uncared for for a while.

Trev

• Thanks 1

Why should a fibreglass boat have to have a dry bilge? Stuffing boxes leak by design!

Oil shouldnt be in your actual bilge as its going to end up being dumped overboard and pollute the river.

Oil under the engine will be engine oil if black and gearbox oil if clearer, neither tend to be terminal.

Owning an ex hire boat will require a certain level of diy maintenance such as keeping engine trays clean and checking levels, it could just be a weap from somewhere and be quite insignificant if you keep an eye on levels and clean things up from time to time its all part of owning your boat. 

Whoever told you hire boats are well maintained must have been a salesman, but then It all depends on which yard is selling it in my opinion! There is at least one I would avoid like the plague. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Why should a fibreglass boat have to have a dry bilge? Stuffing boxes leak by design!

Oil shouldnt be in your actual bilge as its going to end up being dumped overboard and pollute the river.

Oil under the engine will be engine oil if black and gearbox oil if clearer, neither tend to be terminal.

Owning an ex hire boat will require a certain level of diy maintenance such as keeping engine trays clean and checking levels, it could just be a weap from somewhere and be quite insignificant if you keep an eye on levels and clean things up from time to time its all part of owning your boat. 

Whoever told you hire boats are well maintained must have been a salesman, but then It all depends on which yard is selling it in my opinion! There is at least one I would avoid like the plague. 

Which one would be helpful knowing ? 

6 minutes ago, tjg1677 said:

Doesnt sound terribly well presented for a boat that is up for sale. Everything should work and generally speaking the bilges be clean and dry on a vessel that is hoping to be sold. Unless there is a very good reason for all of this i would be inclined to walk away. Sounds like it could have been laid up and uncared for for a while.

Trev

Thank you trev for your reply

I would have thought that a surveyor that notes oil/oil and water, they would also venture an opinion as to the cause. You should not have to pay money to learn something anyone could see with a torch and, maybe, a bit of wriggling!

As for boat seeking, have a browse of Dans site, This will take you to most of the websites of most boat sellers on the Broads. Scroll down and down and down!

http://www.dhorner.horning.org.uk/page23.html

Welcoming to the forum. Im a very new boat owner too. My partner and I are on a massive learning curve and changed boats within weeks. There was absolutley nothing wrong with the first one mechanically etc, it just wasnt the right one for us. We should have looked at more  before we bought anything. Our new one, we think is perfect for us right now. There are  some expensive things we need to do but we knew that before we bought it.  Goodluck with your boat search :)

10 hours ago, Heron said:

Never really understood this policy and a major fault with this forum. If a comment is accurate / true there is little to worry about.

"The following rules apply to post contents, thread titles, quoting of postings, usernames, private messages and images used.  By agreeing to sign up to this Forum you abide by the terms set out below failing which your membership will be terminated and you will be banned from future use". 

28 minutes ago, garryn said:

There are also plenty of fibreglass boats where the front or rear well drain into the bilges  so every time it rains water will go into the bilges. 

Which of cause it shouldn't do ! 

Before I would condem a boat with a bit of oily water in the bilge and or engine tray I would insist on seeing the engine start from cold. Any smoke should clear fairly quickly ( within a minute ) with the engine running smoothly with no misfires, also being exhire will probably have a wet exhaust so a decent quantity of water should spurt from the exhaust too. If the batteries are flat and have been for sometime they will require replacing.

I am no expert but it sounds as if your survey was a quick job. Was it lifted for a hull survey as well?

My advice is, remove the rose coloured glasses and get in there with a torch and a screwdriver. Don't forget the camera and make notes to remind you what you have seen.

I hope the above is of some help.

Colin:default_winko:

5 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Is it something to do with the depth of the well being deeper or to near to the waterline to gravity drain overboard via a hose to skin fitting. 

Aslong as you have a working automatic pump its no real problem, there are boats about with this setup and non automatic pump systems!

3 hours ago, dnks34 said:

Is it something to do with the depth of the well being deeper or to near to the waterline to gravity drain overboard via a hose to skin fitting. 

Aslong as you have a working automatic pump its no real problem, there are boats about with this setup and non automatic pump systems!

Its more than possible to have a well lower than the water line but I firmly believe in all water should go over the side n you would be shocked as I have been over the yrs of how many hot tank pressure relief valve's go into the bilge , the direct result of a relief valve failing is all of the hot tank and the water tank end up in the bilge , that's when yiu need an automatic pump :12_slight_smile:

'B.A's well deck - rainwater drains into the bilge for the pumps to pick it up (There are four bilge pumps in all) if it didn't I would need a separate pump just for the well deck as it is lower than the top of the river.  The wheelhouse sides by their very (Old) design also have rainwater into the bilge.  The hot water safety pressure relief valve also goes into the bilge too.  Not that it has ever done so, only a mug full or so when I test it now and again

Griff

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

'B.A's well deck - rainwater drains into the bilge for the pumps to pick it up (There are four bilge pumps in all) if it didn't I would need a separate pump just for the well deck as it is lower than the top of the river.  The wheelhouse sides by their very (Old) design also have rainwater into the bilge.  The hot water safety pressure relief valve also goes into the bilge too.  Not that it has ever done so, only a mug full or so when I test it now and again

Griff

Er guess what happens if the valve fails , exactly.  its an open tap and all the onboard supply hot and cold goes straight into the bilge.  I honestly can't understand why anyone would want to take that risk when all that's required is s hose and a skin fitting , a certain amount of rain water is inevitable but the potential for the whole contents of the onboard supply is entirely preventable , OK I accept that the bilge pump will pick it up and throw it over the side but I don't cannot understand why anyone would want to rely on a pump to get rid of water that shouldn't be in there anyway .