Norfolk'n Mustard

Bern

Bad news for Norwich & all Colman's employees. From a personal point of view it will not be the same cruising up the Wensum into Norwich and not being greeted with the smell of mint sauce when it is being produced as you pass Colman's factory

Boycee

:default_crying1animated:

• Like 5

On 04/01/2018 at 17:18, boycee said:

Bad news for Norwich & all Colman's employees. From a personal point of view it will not be the same cruising up the Wensum into Norwich and not being greeted with the smell of mint sauce when it is being produced as you pass Colman's factory

Boycee

:default_crying1animated:

When I heard the news I also thought of the mince sauce smell straight away. I'm planning on cruising to Norwich this year and I'll enjoy the smell for the last time. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

When I heard the news I also thought of the mince sauce smell straight away. I'm planning on cruising to Norwich this year and I'll enjoy the smell for the last time. 

Mint not mince but I agree totally :(

• Thanks 1

Another Iconic name gone from Norwich,   Norwich Union another one.     Do you think it is something that we said?       I agree about the lovely aroma of mint as you pass through on your way to the Yacht Station.     Such a shame for all those who have lost their jobs.

Sadly, this seems to be the story of British industry. Firms sell out to multinational conglomerates and  their brands then become hostage to fortune, often finishing up with manufacturing in another town, country or continent.  In the worst instances, you end up with the brand also being adulterated a la Cadburys. Time was when I would have always bought Colman's mustard regardless of cost. It was a good product and, in buying it, you were buying into history and supporting manufacturing in Norwich. Now I will buy whichever is cheapest .

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As the creep of refurbishment spread down the Wensum it was only a matter of time before the factory became designer flats, apartments and bedsits you couldn't even swing a cat in. Shall miss the smell of freshly milled mint as you cruise under Trowse bridge.

• Like 1