2nd Visit To The Broads

Crooky

Hi. My wife and I visited the Broads last year and had a great time exploring the Northern Broads. We're returning again this Easter and are looking to head to the Southern Broads (we're hiring from Barnes Brinkcraft in Wroxham). We're having 6 nights in total and are looking for any suggestions as to any must see places, decent overnight moorings and also any places that should be avoided. We were considering an overnight stay at Norwich Yacht Station to tie in with a mid week pump out and to use the showers etc but I'm sure I have read that it isn't in a nice area? Many thanks for any suggestions. 

• Like 1

We moored at the Norwich yacht station last summer, no issues at all. Showers were great. We love Norwich and had a great lunch and then a Nando's takeaway for supper.

our southern broads itinerary was Oulton Broad > Rockland St Mary > Norwich and then a long trip back to Thurn Dyke and on to Stalham before returning the boat to Barnes Brinkcraft. A great return to the Broads after 30 years....

• Like 1

I'll try to write up more when I get a minute 

Basically the Southern Broads are generally quieter and well worth visiting. 

Problems at Norwich are not as common as you might think, just maybe avoid Friday and Saturday when it gets a bit lively on the nearby Prince of Wales road. 

• Like 3

I agree avoid Friday's and Saturdays,lots of great places,Loddon.Try the white horse the BA free moorings nice loos and showers.The ferry house Surlingham. Pre book your moorings and table great pub and food.Coldham hall Surlingham do the same pre book moorings and table.Stay at the YS Oulton broad,you can get the train to Lowerstoft only takes ten minutes. Enyoy the southern broads,but don't tell everyone. 

• Like 4

Crooky,

Whilst recommending visitors to the southern broads should be avoided so those of us residing there can continue to enjoy it without the hassle and bustle of the North I shall be honest and tell you it is well worth visiting.

There are no areas to avoid in my opinion, just better areas to visit depending on what you would like when you get there.

Beccles, Oulton Broad, Norwich, Loddon

offer more 'lively' bars and takeaways for example whilst places like 

Somerlayton, The Ferry at Surlingham, Cantley, St Olaves offer a great bar without the more lively areas, and there are also lovely quiet areas to moor or possibly mudweight at.

Main areas for shops would be Norwich, Loddon, Beccles, Oulton I think, but this is all off the top of my head.

The things to remember are that the tides are much stronger down south, and there may be longer travel distances between stops.

Personally my faves down south are Somerlayton, Beccles, oulton and Loddon but everywhere has it's charm.

Don't avoid Norwich though, it's all nonsense, you can get idiot's messing about there just like anywhere, it is near the city so there is some noise but we have never had any bothersome noise or issues whatsoever, I'm used to idiot's in life and trouble anyway however so I guess some may see things different.

Enjoy the south, but don't tell everyone how great it Is :default_biggrin:

If you want a nice quiet mooring, no facilities, just peace and tranquility, then be sure to check out Langley Dyke which is off the Yare and also North Cove part way between Oulton Dyke and Beccles on the Waveney. After having spent nights at Loddon and then Beccles, we were so glad to get right away from any roads, car parks and pubs and chill out completely.

• Like 1

I'll echo what others have said re. Norwich you really shouldn't discount it. And to visit a big city by water is a unique experience and one you're unlikely to be able to do as easily in other cities.

I also recommend St Olaves. It's a handy stop with a nice pub enroute to or from the north if you're not going up the Yare.

• Like 2

Hi Crooky,

one question, if you`re intention is to do the southern rivers, why not hire from Brooms or Silverline at Brundall, or Maffett Cruisers or Pacific Cruisers at Loddon. If you`re doing 6 days, you will waste 2 days cruising, the first heading south, and the second, heading back north. Those days could be much better spent reaching more destinations on the southern rivers, and saving you a bit in fuel costs.  

Anyway, enjoy the southern rivers, they are quieter than the north, but the tides are stronger and much more noticeable if punching the tide, so try to plan your cruise going with the tide as often as possible.

• Like 1

I don’t think you could ever ‘waste’ two days cruising. The scenery leaves a little to be desired between Stokesby and GY and on the other side but it’s all part of the trip imo. As Crooky has already booked with BB, planning the trip from Wroxham will be part of the enjoyment. I always think that the anticipation and planning is great fun - even if you don’t stick to that plan! I have to agree with what others have said about Norwich YS, a visit to the city is well worth while. Have a good holiday Crooky and be sure to come back and tell us all about it. :default_stinky:

• Like 2

We stayed at Norwich last year for the first time and I’m looking forward to morning there again this year. It’s a really beautiful place to moor. The only minor issue as far as I’m concerned is that it’s next to a busy road, so you do get the traffic noise in the morning.

We had a dog with us and found that the pub just across Bishop’s Bridge ( at the far end of the moorings) was handy and allowed the dog in. This year we’re intending to check out the Coach and Horses a short walk up Thorpe Road, as that’s been recommended elsewhere on the form. Lots of chain restaurants nearby at the Riverside development and behind that a Morrison’s and other stores.

I wrote up our experience last April/May at Norwich in a holiday blog -Week on Royale Emblem. You can find that in the Holiday Tales and Blogs section.

Helen

• Like 3

One thing I have not seen mentioned is to make sure you work out the best time to pass through Gt.Yarmouth. When we want to head south, the first thing I do before booking is look at Tide Tables to see which dates 'work'. We are actually picking a boat up from Horning on the 6th April with the view to go South on the Saturday when slack water is @10am and probably head back North on the Tuesday....

1 hour ago, NonTecky said:

One thing I have not seen mentioned is to make sure you work out the best time to pass through Gt.Yarmouth. When we want to head south, the first thing I do before booking is look at Tide Tables to see which dates 'work'. We are actually picking a boat up from Horning on the 6th April with the view to go South on the Saturday when slack water is @10am and probably head back North on the Tuesday....

Thanks for your comments NonTecky. We have looked at the tide tables and our plan is to pick the boat up from Wroxham on Monday 2/4/18 and spend that day and night on the Northern Broads before making our way to Stracey Wind pump to spend Tuesday night. I calculate that low water slack will be around 8.15 on 4/4/18 which means we need to be on the move just before 7am. Are my timings correct and is this 'do-able'? (We don't mind the early start as I don't think there's a better time to wake up on a boat than just as morning is breaking). 

• Like 1

More experienced people might correct me on this, but on our first trip down from Stracey Arms we started off an hour before slack water and that worked out really well. We allowed the same amount of time for our second trip in September and it worked out well again. The lower Bure seemed to be slack under the bridges but the Yare had started to flow up Breydon Water. Don’t know why that was, does the Yare always turn before the Bure?

On our way back up north in September we went under the Yarmouth bridges a bit early...about 15-20 minutes before the forecast for slack water and we found the tide was still flowing down the Bure, which must have wasted a bit of fuel! Oh we’ll, live and learn!

Helen

36 minutes ago, Crooky said:

Thanks for your comments NonTecky. We have looked at the tide tables and our plan is to pick the boat up from Wroxham on Monday 2/4/18 and spend that day and night on the Northern Broads before making our way to Stracey Wind pump to spend Tuesday night. I calculate that low water slack will be around 8.15 on 4/4/18 which means we need to be on the move just before 7am. Are my timings correct and is this 'do-able'? (We don't mind the early start as I don't think there's a better time to wake up on a boat than just as morning is breaking). 

According to These Tide Tables you are correct slack passage is around 8:15 so setting off at 7 gives you plenty of time to get down the Bure.

The tide times aren't set in stone ofcourse and are dependent on many fluctuations but anywhere around that time and you shouldn't have any real problems.

Enjoy the Southern broads, it's great, but in a different way to the North, be aware of the stronger tides especially when mooring on the main rivers and if you love it down south keep it quiet, we don't want everyone knowing about it :default_biggrin:

A trip south is usually a definite for me if I'm hiring for a full week and I'm looking forward to doing so on my September hire. I don't see it as a waste of time at all, albeit that the Stracey-Great Yarmouth stretch is a bit of a slog. I enjoy negotiating Great Yarmouth itself and I love powering over Breydon on the only place you're allowed to go full whack. 

Lots of good advice already on this thread and your plan for timing Great Yarmouth looks just right. 

One extra tip, at the bottom of Breydon water if you're taking the Yare to the right to head towards Norwich, be sure not to turn too early and stray from the marked channel. From a distance it can look like you can turn sooner but you have to go a little further than you first think to keep all the posts to your right. I've seen boats around there more than once. 

• Like 1

Last year when we passed on our way up to Norwich the sails were turning. That was the Sunday of the early May bank holiday. When we returned and stopped off on the Tuesday the place was deserted. How we regretted not stopping!

Helen